Prokofiev's Paddy Wagon

Started by Danny, April 07, 2007, 09:29:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daverz

Quote from: relm1 on August 12, 2020, 06:01:37 AM
There is an excellent set of the piano concertos by Rozhdestvensky.  It is typically dynamic and thrilling but broad when it needs to be.

Odd, Rozhdestvensky conducting from the piano?  Of course, it's Mrs. Rozhdestvensky on piano.

[asin]B0001EFTIS[/asin]

(Just picking one of the nicer covers, haven't heard this.)

Jo498

I cannot justify another concerto set although the older Krainev seems interesting. For a slow reading in very good sound and echt Russian, Toradze/Gergiev is great. I also have Beroff/Masur, Browning/Leinsdorf and a bunch of single discs, such as Richter in #5, Bronfman in 2+4 and a few #3s in anthologies/boxes. BEcause #2 is my favorite, I might get the highly praised Guiterrez at some stage.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Argerich recorded the No. 3 several times. The most recent live recording was ok.  Listeners maybe divided on the Postnikova date. The Toradze set is a great performance though it is not with my personal preference.

MusicTurner

Quote from: Jo498 on August 12, 2020, 08:43:24 AM
I cannot justify another concerto set although the older Krainev seems interesting. For a slow reading in very good sound and echt Russian, Toradze/Gergiev is great. I also have Beroff/Masur, Browning/Leinsdorf and a bunch of single discs, such as Richter in #5, Bronfman in 2+4 and a few #3s in anthologies/boxes. BEcause #2 is my favorite, I might get the highly praised Guiterrez at some stage.

Yes, the older Krainev/Moscow would be the primary set for me (his Frankfurt set is different & wouldn't be). Interesting other ones include Yundi Li in no.2, Argerich in nos.1 & 3, the Browning/Leinsdorf set (I only heard samples & am very tempted, but will abstain however), the Ashkenazy/Previn set (rather robust), Kapell in no.3, and, as a curiosity, Prokofiev himself in no.3.

Personally I culled the Paik, Krainev/Frankfurt and Beroff sets.

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on August 11, 2020, 12:42:20 PM
Since this thread was resurrected, I take this opportunity to say that I don't like Lieutenant Kijé Suite that much, except the Troika movement (unpopular opinion ?).  :o  ;D

Yeah, it's hardly one of my preferred Prokofiev works. I can easily name 15 or 20 works of his I like better.  8)
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: MusicTurner on August 12, 2020, 09:01:24 AM
Yes, the older Krainev/Moscow would be the primary set for me (his Frankfurt set is different & wouldn't be). Interesting other ones include Yundi Li in no.2, Argerich in nos.1 & 3, the Browning/Leinsdorf set (I only heard samples & am very tempted, but will abstain however), the Ashkenazy/Previn set (rather robust), Kapell in no.3, and, as a curiosity, Prokofiev himself in no.3.

Personally I culled the Paik, Krainev/Frankfurt and Beroff sets.

I would be curious about your (and other members') opinion about the Royal Liverpool set and Abduraimov recording of No.3.

MusicTurner

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on August 12, 2020, 02:27:57 PM
I would be curious about your (and other members') opinion about the Royal Liverpool set and Abduraimov recording of No.3.

Unfortunately I haven't heard those ...

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

relm1

Quote from: Daverz on August 12, 2020, 07:13:34 AM
Odd, Rozhdestvensky conducting from the piano?  Of course, it's Mrs. Rozhdestvensky on piano.

[asin]B0001EFTIS[/asin]

(Just picking one of the nicer covers, haven't heard this.)

Hmm, for some reason, I remember the version I heard had a black cover but maybe it was a reissue?

EDIT: Never mind, I think it's the same set.

aukhawk

Quote from: Dowder on June 15, 2020, 09:47:05 PM
His Fifth symphony is perfection and highly accessible, perhaps not to the degree as the First but that was meant to be a short and sweet classical piece. How anyone can prefer the Sixth or any other is perplexing to me. They all have their varying charms but in the Fifth he masterfully wove his influences and strengths together to create an enduring and meaningful artistic statement. The orchestration is just brilliant, too.  You can certainly hear the screaming in the horns at the horror and chaos of the war, the reminisces and memories in the strings, the playfulness and hope in the woodwinds, and eventual return to chaos at the close. 

If that's what you look for in a piece of music, fair enough.  I find Prok's orchestral music quite a difficult listen and tend to go elsewhere.  I enjoy his solo piano music though.  Especially Tales of an old grandmother Op31  8)

Tales of an old grandmother Op.31 : Visions Fugitives : Sonata No.6 : Florian Noack

Karl Henning

As for myself, I never tire of this (esp. with a singer)

https://www.youtube.com/v/RahGNckCmkQ
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: aukhawk on August 13, 2020, 05:20:44 AM
If that's what you look for in a piece of music, fair enough.  I find Prok's orchestral music quite a difficult listen and tend to go elsewhere.  I enjoy his solo piano music though.  Especially Tales of an old grandmother Op31  8)

Tales of an old grandmother Op.31 : Visions Fugitives : Sonata No.6 : Florian Noack

This may just be an exception that proves your rule, but there is this early piece:

https://www.youtube.com/v/Oq0GmnHdtu8
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Herman

In response to a couple of posts above: the Sixth symphony is a major work, possibly his grandest symphony. The Fifth is more cunning and effective, hugely enjoyable; the Sixth is just this huge outpouring of wartime despair and an amazing sonic world.

Obviously both are works you need to experience live, they don't fit in a living room.

MusicTurner

Quote from: Herman on August 14, 2020, 12:08:34 AM
In response to a couple of posts above: the Sixth symphony is a major work, possibly his grandest symphony. The Fifth is more cunning and effective, hugely enjoyable; the Sixth is just this huge outpouring of wartime despair and an amazing sonic world.

Obviously both are works you need to experience live, they don't fit in a living room.

Agree with this.

As regards the 5th, the Thomas Schippers recording has somehow made the work more attractive for me.

Herman

Quote from: Herman on August 14, 2020, 12:08:34 AM

And if you do experience the Sixth live, it's quite a task not to sit there in a pool of tears at the shattering end.

It's a devastating piece of music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y52JYoHY9g

Karl Henning

Quote from: MusicTurner on August 14, 2020, 12:18:46 AM
Agree with this.

As regards the 5th, the Thomas Schippers recording has somehow made the work more attractive for me.

Good!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Scion7

from October 1984 - also out on CD.
R.I.P. Lydia Mordkovitch
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Karl Henning

Quote from: Scion7 on September 07, 2020, 06:49:09 AM

from October 1984 - also out on CD.
R.I.P. Lydia Mordkovitch

Very nice. I've got it on CD. Would be hard pressed to choose a preference between this and Kremer/Argerich.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

relm1

What do you think of my performance and recording of the Prokofiev Piano Concerto No.3?
https://clyp.it/dwl0csks

I was not the pianist! I was in the orchestra though (low brass).  I also recorded and mixed the concert.  We didn't have tons of mics but I tried my best to make the pianist stand out as the music got more energetic.