Author Topic: Prokofiev's Paddy Wagon  (Read 190463 times)

Offline MusicTurner

• Veteran member
Re: Prokofiev's Paddy Wagon
« Reply #1600 on: September 13, 2020, 08:06:14 AM »
Peter and the Wolf, in Russian - narrated by the Russian writer who premiered the work!
Natalya Sats, Evgeny Svetlanov, USSR State Symphony Orchestra (1970)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-1OWPWzCMM

Ms. Sats in her younger years:

Very interesting, thank you

Offline Scion7

• Veteran member
  • "A vér az élet."
« Reply #1601 on: September 13, 2020, 09:25:47 AM »
She has that school-teacher tone.
It should be recorded by a Russian actress with impeccable diction - like ... like ... 

The Germans, who make doctrines out of everything, deal with music learnedly; the Italians, being voluptuous, seek in it lively, though fleeting, sensations; the French, more vain than perceptive, manage to speak of it wittily; and the English pay for it . . . - Stendhal

Offline Dry Brett Kavanaugh

• Currently Listening to:
    Eric Dolphy, Persian music, Sorabji, Scriabin, Sex Pistols
« Reply #1602 on: October 24, 2020, 02:28:13 PM »
Some other albums of PC No.3 in addition to those mentioned previously. As for the Ozawa and Weissenberg set, the performances of both the orchestra and pianist are very good. While the tempo is very fast, Weissenberg evinces his razor-sharp dexterity. The music is vibrant and dynamic, but some people may find it too fast. The Lugansky/Nagano is a good set. While the piano is colorful and lyrical, the performance of orchestra is fair/average. Relaxed music overall. The Matsuev/Gergiev set is a fine set as well. The performance of Matsuev is gorgeous and versatile, while the performance of orchestra is good/fine.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 02:30:14 PM by Dry Brett Kavanaugh »

Offline Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Eric Dolphy, Persian music, Sorabji, Scriabin, Sex Pistols
« Reply #1603 on: October 24, 2020, 02:29:14 PM »
Matsuev.

Offline Dima

« Reply #1604 on: November 03, 2020, 06:07:19 AM »
I went to listen to the music of "Fiery Angel" of Prokofiev three times in Bolshoi Theatre, when it was conducted by Alexander Vedernikov (30 october 2020 he died from covid in Moscow. He was 56).
Each time the music sounds differently, but on one of the performances, the last before England tour of the theatre it was a feeling of catharsis. I think that Alexander Vedernikov especially loved this music.
Therefore, it is no coincidence that when he decided to conduct the 3rd symphony of Prokofiev written on the basis of the music of the opera "Fiery Angel" it turned out to be one of the best performances of this symphony.
In memory of him, I would like to share this recording of the symphony (Alexander Vedernikov 2010 year, BBC Symphony Orchestra, live):
https://gofile.io/d/jNkH03
« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 06:24:03 AM by Dima »

Online k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #1605 on: November 03, 2020, 06:55:36 AM »
I went to listen to the music of "Fiery Angel" of Prokofiev three times in Bolshoi Theatre, when it was conducted by Alexander Vedernikov (30 october 2020 he died from covid in Moscow. He was 56).
Each time the music sounds differently, but on one of the performances, the last before England tour of the theatre it was a feeling of catharsis. I think that Alexander Vedernikov especially loved this music.
Therefore, it is no coincidence that when he decided to conduct the 3rd symphony of Prokofiev written on the basis of the music of the opera "Fiery Angel" it turned out to be one of the best performances of this symphony.
In memory of him, I would like to share this recording of the symphony (Alexander Vedernikov 2010 year, BBC Symphony Orchestra, live):
https://gofile.io/d/jNkH03

Cool!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot