Prokofiev's Paddy Wagon

Started by Danny, April 07, 2007, 09:29:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scion7

She has that school-teacher tone.
It should be recorded by a Russian actress with impeccable diction - like ... like ... 

When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Some other albums of PC No.3 in addition to those mentioned previously. As for the Ozawa and Weissenberg set, the performances of both the orchestra and pianist are very good. While the tempo is very fast, Weissenberg evinces his razor-sharp dexterity. The music is vibrant and dynamic, but some people may find it too fast. The Lugansky/Nagano is a good set. While the piano is colorful and lyrical, the performance of orchestra is fair/average. Relaxed music overall. The Matsuev/Gergiev set is a fine set as well. The performance of Matsuev is gorgeous and versatile, while the performance of orchestra is good/fine.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Dima

I went to listen to the music of "Fiery Angel" of Prokofiev three times in Bolshoi Theatre, when it was conducted by Alexander Vedernikov (30 october 2020 he died from covid in Moscow. He was 56).
Each time the music sounds differently, but on one of the performances, the last before England tour of the theatre it was a feeling of catharsis. I think that Alexander Vedernikov especially loved this music.
Therefore, it is no coincidence that when he decided to conduct the 3rd symphony of Prokofiev written on the basis of the music of the opera "Fiery Angel" it turned out to be one of the best performances of this symphony.
In memory of him, I would like to share this recording of the symphony (Alexander Vedernikov 2010 year, BBC Symphony Orchestra, live):
https://gofile.io/d/jNkH03

Karl Henning

Quote from: Dima on November 03, 2020, 05:07:19 AM
I went to listen to the music of "Fiery Angel" of Prokofiev three times in Bolshoi Theatre, when it was conducted by Alexander Vedernikov (30 october 2020 he died from covid in Moscow. He was 56).
Each time the music sounds differently, but on one of the performances, the last before England tour of the theatre it was a feeling of catharsis. I think that Alexander Vedernikov especially loved this music.
Therefore, it is no coincidence that when he decided to conduct the 3rd symphony of Prokofiev written on the basis of the music of the opera "Fiery Angel" it turned out to be one of the best performances of this symphony.
In memory of him, I would like to share this recording of the symphony (Alexander Vedernikov 2010 year, BBC Symphony Orchestra, live):
https://gofile.io/d/jNkH03

Cool!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vandermolen

New arrival and beautifully presented.
Some classic performances here including Boult conducting the Lieutenant Kijé Suite, Erik Tuxen and the Danish RSO performing Symphony No.5 (I have never heard this before). It also includes the entirety of a famous old Decca Eclipse LP. I like these Decca Eloquence releases which include images of the original LP sleeves:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

MusicTurner

An unusually fiery & recommendable Scythian Suite with Rowicki, and an Alexander Nevsky a bit paradoxically sung in German ...  but it can be a good idea, translating war-reminiscent texts to the opponent's languages.

vandermolen

Quote from: MusicTurner on November 28, 2020, 01:39:38 AM
An unusually fiery & recommendable Scythian Suite with Rowicki, and an Alexander Nevsky a bit paradoxically sung in German ...  but it can be a good idea, translating war-reminiscent texts to the opponent's languages.
A very interesting point! I'm sorry that the Scythian Suite does not feature on the new Decca Masters release, which I posted above, as it is one of my favourite works by Prokofiev.
I'm now listening to the 'Love of Three Oranges' Symphonic Suite (LPO/Boult) and had forgotten what a lovely work it is.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

MusicTurner

Yes, have assembled quite a bunch through the years, but that Rowicki seems pretty much definitive to me

CD    Weller,LSO/decca-brilliant 4cd 9006
CD    Rowicki,BerlStKap/berl cl 79-95 0030992
CD    Scherchen,LSO/westm-pall mono 4167-68
LP     Scherchen,LSO/westm 51 mono wl 5091
dwl   Järvi,ScotNatO/
LP     Abbado,ChicSO/dg 2530 967
LP     Kondrashin,MosAcSO/mel c10 04775-76
LP     Dorati,MinneaSO/merc mono mg 50343
LP     Dorati,MinneaSO/merc mo mg 50157 (morath)
LP     Dorati,MinneaSO/merc mo 131.023 (joubert)
LP     Ivanov,USSRStSO/mel 0835-36
LP     Bernstein,NYPO/cbs 72730

pjme

Quote from: vandermolen on November 28, 2020, 01:48:04 AM
A very interesting point! I'm sorry that the Scythian Suite does not feature on the new Decca Masters release, which I posted above, as it is one of my favourite works by Prokofiev.
I'm now listening to the 'Love of Three Oranges' Symphonic Suite (LPO/Boult) and had forgotten what a lovely work it is.

The opera is a joy.
https://youtu.be/MToqviBnDVY

vandermolen

Quote from: MusicTurner on November 28, 2020, 01:52:54 AM
Yes, have assembled quite a bunch through the years, but that Rowicki seems pretty much definitive to me

CD    Weller,LSO/decca-brilliant 4cd 9006
CD    Rowicki,BerlStKap/berl cl 79-95 0030992
CD    Scherchen,LSO/westm-pall mono 4167-68
LP     Scherchen,LSO/westm 51 mono wl 5091
dwl   Järvi,ScotNatO/
LP     Abbado,ChicSO/dg 2530 967
LP     Kondrashin,MosAcSO/mel c10 04775-76
LP     Dorati,MinneaSO/merc mono mg 50343
LP     Dorati,MinneaSO/merc mo mg 50157 (morath)
LP     Dorati,MinneaSO/merc mo 131.023 (joubert)
LP     Ivanov,USSRStSO/mel 0835-36
LP     Bernstein,NYPO/cbs 72730
Wow! That's an impressive list. I have the Weller, as it's included in the Decca symphonies box set. Also the Jarvi and the Dorati as well as one or two others.
I like this recording (Dallas SO/Mata) as well:

MusicTurner

Quote from: vandermolen on November 28, 2020, 02:03:56 AM
Wow! That's an impressive list. I have the Weller, as it's included in the Decca symphonies box set. Also the Jarvi and the Dorati as well as one or two others.
I like this recording (Dallas SO/Mata) as well:

I remember Järvi as certainly impressive too in the Scythian Suite.

I have a few recordings of the ... Oranges Suite (Järvi and Martinon among them) & will give it a listen one of these days. It's not a work I'm familiar with.

pjme

Vyacheslav Gryaznov is my (pianistic) discovery of the year. He is also a composer and transcribed two movements of the Scythian suite for two pianos.

https://www.youtube.com/v/HPOB3jhiaCQ

(I was deeply impressed by his performance of Ravels concerto for the left hand.)
https://youtu.be/hnLh3WPR47w

Cato

Quote from: MusicTurner on November 28, 2020, 02:21:59 AM

I remember Järvi as certainly impressive too in the Scythian Suite.

The Scythian Suite on an RCA LP by Erich Leinsdorf/Boston Symphony Orchestra paired with the Symphony #3 was a slam-dunk!

https://www.youtube.com/v/-o87gVf1CL0

https://www.youtube.com/v/zAjqVCy2IQU
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

vandermolen

Mirror Image

I have a tough time appreciating Prokofiev's symphonies. It seems that I'm most attracted to the 1st, 2nd and 6th. The 1st is a fantastic panache of the Classical Era's symphonic language with some twists and turns along the way. The 2nd is maniacal and relentless it's mechanically driven rhythmic scheme. The 6th is an inward, shadow-lurking symphonic creation that stays with me for awhile after I've heard it. Anyway, I prefer the ballets, concerti, chamber works and those awesome Piano Sonatas. I do still have a soft-spot for Alexander Nevsky and the Scythian Suite, which was formally a ballet from what I've read, but he decided to turn it into an orchestral suite. I still have yet to listen to any of the operas. I understand it that The Fiery Angel is the best one.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 29, 2020, 08:29:55 PM
I have a tough time appreciating Prokofiev's symphonies. It seems that I'm most attracted to the 1st, 2nd and 6th. The 1st is a fantastic panache of the Classical Era's symphonic language with some twists and turns along the way. The 2nd is maniacal and relentless it's mechanically driven rhythmic scheme. The 6th is an inward, shadow-lurking symphonic creation that stays with me for awhile after I've heard it. Anyway, I prefer the ballets, concerti, chamber works and those awesome Piano Sonatas. I do still have a soft-spot for Alexander Nevsky and the Scythian Suite, which was formally a ballet from what I've read, but he decided to turn it into an orchestral suite. I still have yet to listen to any of the operas. I understand it that The Fiery Angel is the best one.

I should revisit the Angel. My off-the-cuff thought is that I like The Gambler even more.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

springrite

I went to 5 performances of The Fiery Angel at the Los Angeles Opera about 25 years ago. The fact that I went to all five performances tells you how much I loved it! Now I have both the CD and DVD versions at home.
Yes, I love the third symphony because of it!
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Mirror Image

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 29, 2020, 08:46:29 PM
I should revisit the Angel. My off-the-cuff thought is that I like The Gambler even more.

Interesting, Karl. I need to check and see if I own The Gambler. I know for sure I own Gergiev's The Fiery Angel and The Love for Three Oranges.

springrite

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 29, 2020, 08:52:20 PM
Interesting, Karl. I need to check and see if I own The Gambler. I know for sure I own Gergiev's The Fiery Angel and The Love for Three Oranges.
I have the CHANDOS recording of The Gambler and it is damn good!!!
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.