Prokofiev's Paddy Wagon

Started by Danny, April 07, 2007, 09:29:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Daverz on January 13, 2021, 05:35:08 PM
Also Françaix, Saint-Saëns, and any Poulenc without nuns in it.

Those composers would do the trick as well.

Symphonic Addict

The only ballet by Prokofiev I hadn't heard before, and it's absolutely riveting, mostly because of the abundant folk influences, which make it authentically Russian. The composer's imagination, masterful orchestration and sense of color in full display. A little more than 2 hours very well invested. An automatic favorite.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on March 23, 2021, 06:11:12 PM

The only ballet by Prokofiev I hadn't heard before, and it's absolutely riveting, mostly because of the abundant folk influences, which make it authentically Russian. The composer's imagination, masterful orchestration and sense of color in full display. A little more than 2 hours very well invested. An automatic favorite.

Quite a nice ballet, indeed. Glad you listened to the Rozhdestvensky performance as the Jurowski on CPO just feels so bloated to me (it's spread over three discs). This is still a ballet I have a difficult time appreciating as a whole, but it is certainly better than any of Shostakovich's, IMHO. Prokofiev had a real knack for writing ballet music and the element of dance seems to rear its' head in so much of what he wrote.

relm1

I never could make it through it meandered so much.  Even the suite feels too long.  So it's worth revisiting and sticking it out?

Mirror Image

Quote from: relm1 on March 24, 2021, 06:18:06 AM
I never could make it through it meandered so much.  Even the suite feels too long.  So it's worth revisiting and sticking it out?

This depends entirely on you. Do you have access to the Rozhdestvensky recording? If yes, then give it a listen.

Daverz

You can get this nice looking Melodiya box of all of Rozhdestvensky's Prokofiev ballet recordings:

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/ballette/hnum/2296976

Or you might try the new Bis CD with the suite:

Mirror Image

Quote from: Daverz on March 24, 2021, 07:41:14 AM
You can get this nice looking Melodiya box of all of Rozhdestvensky's Prokofiev ballet recordings:

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/ballette/hnum/2296976

Or you might try the new Bis CD with the suite:

Yep, I own that box set, too. It's a gorgeous set. Remastered as well and it's noticeably clearer than the previous issued set, which I also own:

Karl Henning

In curious timing, I am revisiting this ballet myself, this week, the BBC Phil/Noseda recording.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 23, 2021, 07:14:27 PM
Quite a nice ballet, indeed. Glad you listened to the Rozhdestvensky performance as the Jurowski on CPO just feels so bloated to me (it's spread over three discs). This is still a ballet I have a difficult time appreciating as a whole, but it is certainly better than any of Shostakovich's, IMHO. Prokofiev had a real knack for writing ballet music and the element of dance seems to rear its' head in so much of what he wrote.

Somehow the interpretation and recording accented the Russian element of the music, so I'm very happy with it. I could even think this is the closest ballet to Khachaturian's style. Shostakovich's ballets seem more bombastic, and I agree about Prokofiev's gift for writing ballets.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: relm1 on March 24, 2021, 06:18:06 AM

I didn't have any problem with the work. I really loved it.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 24, 2021, 09:07:11 AM
In curious timing, I am revisiting this ballet myself, this week, the BBC Phil/Noseda recording.

Hopefully that recording will do full justice to the work.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on March 24, 2021, 11:48:27 AM
Somehow the interpretation and recording accented the Russian element of the music, so I'm very happy with it. I could even think this is the closest ballet to Khachaturian's style. Shostakovich's ballets seem more bombastic, and I agree about Prokofiev's gift for writing ballets.

Yeah, but for this listener it's better than anything Khachaturian wrote. Sorry, I had to say it. :-X

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 24, 2021, 11:56:55 AM
Yeah, but for this listener it's better than anything Khachaturian wrote. Sorry, I had to say it. :-X

I won't discuss that. I do adore Gayaneh, though.

Noam Chomsky

Karl Henning

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on March 24, 2021, 11:50:50 AM
Hopefully that recording will do full justice to the work.

I believe it does.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

relm1

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on March 24, 2021, 11:49:32 AM
I didn't have any problem with the work. I really loved it.

It's just that his other stage works are so damn good/great and we don't get that here.  But it could be I need to revisit.

Karl Henning

Quote from: relm1 on March 24, 2021, 03:59:29 PM
It's just that his other stage works are so damn good/great and we don't get that here.  But it could be I need to revisit.

I feel ya; I got over that, don't know what to suggest ....
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Brahmsian

In anticipation and celebration of MI (John) acquiring this set, I am revisiting it myself.

Currently listening to the "War Sonatas".

Mirror Image

Quote from: OrchestralNut on March 30, 2021, 06:34:05 AM
In anticipation and celebration of MI (John) acquiring this set, I am revisiting it myself.

Currently listening to the "War Sonatas".

Very nice, Ray. 8)

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

foxandpeng

I've been deeply impressed by returning to hearing Prokofiev's symphonies this last week after quite an absence. I picked up the Schipperges biography for £1 at a second hand book store along with Simpson's two paperbacks on The Symphony, Tawaststjerna's second volume of Sibelius translated by Layton, and Alma Mahler on the man himself, all for 50p each. I also had Mahler Rembered by Lebrecht for £1, but I hear he isn't so popular round here.

The Prokofiev is a great read for a novice. The draw of 'home' described there is quite a thing, despite the imperfections that home brings. Anyway, despite not always being so able to discern all of the differences between symphony cycles that many here can describe at length, I've found a real immediacy in the Dmitrij Kitajenko renderings that is less noticeable in the Gergiev and Jarvi that I began with. I've been able to thoroughly enjoy 6, 3, and 7 more than ever with this set of performances. 2 is an 'edge of the seat' experience.

Apologies for rambling, but it's been immensely positive.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy