Prokofiev's Paddy Wagon

Started by Danny, April 07, 2007, 09:29:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greg

Quote from: karlhenning on April 20, 2007, 07:19:36 AM
That's what Volkov said . . . and (surprise, surprise) that remark has gotten a lot of play.

I have a hard time believing that the brilliant, blistering second movement is, simply, "a portrait of Stalin."

For only one thing, how does the movement end?  With a triumphant major chord.  What does that mean?  The triumph of Stalin?  Oh. maybe not, maybe not . . .
why don't you ask Shosty himself?
ok, fine, if you won't, i will

"Hey, Shosty, is that second movement of your 10th symphony a portrait of Stalin?"

"Да, a мое нот миле"

Danny

Quote from: karlhenning on April 20, 2007, 07:19:36 AM
That's what Volkov said . . . and (surprise, surprise) that remark has gotten a lot of play.

I have a hard time believing that the brilliant, blistering second movement is, simply, "a portrait of Stalin."

For only one thing, how does the movement end?  With a triumphant major chord.  What does that mean?  The triumph of Stalin?  Oh. maybe not, maybe not . . .

Excellent post, Dr. Karl.  I've always loved that movement (it doesn't sound dark or evil to me--maybe ominous--) and hoped that the supposed Stalinist element wasn't true.  I believe it was composed right around the time of the Festive Overture, so maybe Volkov is full of it! :D

greg

Quote from: TheJoe on April 21, 2007, 12:27:01 AM
while taking a break from reading Prokofiev's memoirs (which are quite a fun and interesting read).
oh yeah, that's the stuff
one of my favorite unforgettable parts was when he goes to America and thinks all the change is going to spill out of his pockets and he's like, "i don't wanna be the laughing stock of American! Mwaaaaaaaa  :'(!"  ;D

Danny

Need to get a hand on those memoirs.  Looks like a good read.  :)

Haffner

Quote from: Harry on April 07, 2007, 09:34:58 AM
There are almost never clear favourites amongst a composers oeuvre, with me, I see merit in almost every composition from Prokofiev.
And that is with all the composers I know, well almost!
His Ballet music, is played by me often, as his Symphonies.

Just discovered Profokiev, and his "Classical" symphony, last night. What a fantastic discovery!

Danny

Quote from: Haffner on April 21, 2007, 09:47:12 AM

Just discovered Profokiev, and his "Classical" symphony, last night. What a fantastic discovery!

Welcome aboard, Haffner; time to jump on the Prokofiev praisin' paddy wagon!  :D

Haffner

Quote from: Danny on April 21, 2007, 10:09:31 AM
Welcome aboard, Haffner; time to jump on the Prokofiev praisin' paddy wagon!  :D

I can't wait to check out some more of this incredible composer, Danny! I was (and remain) completely knocked out by that Symphony.

Danny

Quote from: Haffner on April 21, 2007, 10:11:36 AM

I can't wait to check out some more of this incredible composer, Danny! I was (and remain) completely knocked out by that Symphony.

First piece I heard by him was Lt. Kijje.  I was floored by that one, and the Classical Symphony was the next piece I heard (the perfect follow up!). 

More goodies await you!

Maciek

First piece I heard was one of the Romeo and Juliet suites (or maybe both?) on a concert for youths. It was staggering - turned me into a fan right off. :D

The new erato

Quote from: Haffner on April 21, 2007, 09:47:12 AM

For God's sake, don't go from the Classical to the 3rd Symphony.....try the ballets first. Cinderella, Rome & Juliet, then the violin sonatas, when you love that music, you are ready for the heavier stuff....

Haffner

Quote from: erato on April 22, 2007, 02:51:45 AM
For God's sake, don't go from the Classical to the 3rd Symphony.....try the ballets first. Cinderella, Rome & Juliet, then the violin sonatas, when you love that music, you are ready for the heavier stuff....

Thank you, Erato!  I think I will grab Romeo and Juliet next, as my girl will probably be very interested as well.

karlhenning

OTOH, I think the Seventh Symphony (e.g.) would be more like [readily likeable] than [too heavy].

greg

QuoteOTOH, I think the Seventh Symphony (e.g.) would be more like [readily likeable] than [too heavy].
i wonder where that leaves the 2nd?  ;D
no really, by now i've decided the 2nd and 7th are my two favorites of his symphonies after the 5th- and on the Ozawa set, they are both on the same disc- it's like eating steak and then eating ice cream  0:)

one topic i've been wanting to talk about is why is the 2nd symphony so underrated? Prokofiev didn't care for it himself. Was the premiere just poorly played? I can't see what's so bad about it.....  ???

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Haffner on April 22, 2007, 04:37:00 AM
Thank you, Erato!  I think I will grab Romeo and Juliet next, as my girl will probably be very interested as well.
Quote from: karlhenning on April 22, 2007, 05:27:21 AM
OTOH, I think the Seventh Symphony (e.g.) would be more like [readily likeable] than [too heavy].

For what it's worth, Romeo and Juliet and the Seventh Symphony are Mrs. Rock's favorite works. Either or both might get you back into good grace with your girl, Andy, after all that Wagner  ;)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Danny

Quote from: greg on April 22, 2007, 12:02:32 PM
i wonder where that leaves the 2nd?  ;D
no really, by now i've decided the 2nd and 7th are my two favorites of his symphonies after the 5th- and on the Ozawa set, they are both on the same disc- it's like eating steak and then eating ice cream  0:)

one topic i've been wanting to talk about is why is the 2nd symphony so underrated? Prokofiev didn't care for it himself. Was the premiere just poorly played? I can't see what's so bad about it.....  ???

I don't care for the Second.  Not that it is bad, but....................with all of the other treasures and nuggets in the Prokofiev catalogue, the Second just pales in comparison.

Maciek

Quote from: Danny on April 22, 2007, 12:16:08 PM
I don't care for the Second.  Not that it is bad, but....................with all of the other treasures and nuggets in the Prokofiev catalogue, the Second just pales in comparison.

Watch what you're saying about my favorite Prokofiev symphony! $:)

greg

Quote from: MrOsa on April 22, 2007, 12:19:39 PM
no way, serious?  :D
hey, nice to see i'm not the only who thinks the second kicks butt  8)

Maciek

Of course I'm serious! :D

Quote from: MrOsa on April 07, 2007, 10:40:43 AM
My favorite Prokofiev concerto: Piano Concerto No. 2
My favorite Prokofiev symphony: Symphony No. 2

Danny

Quote from: MrOsa on April 22, 2007, 12:19:39 PM

Sorry officer!  I promise I won't do it again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ;D

Maciek