Prokofiev's Paddy Wagon

Started by Danny, April 07, 2007, 09:29:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

I thought, Greg, you would enjoy those thoughts I just sent you.

BachQ

greg

Quote from: D Minor on April 27, 2007, 07:49:32 AM
Happy Birthday, Prokofiev!
it's his birthday?
oh yeah....... i already wished him a happy birthday on his myspace page (everyone else does it around the same week)....
i kept on asking him for free composition lessons, but it seems he isn't interested (no reply)....  :'(

QuoteI thought, Greg, you would enjoy those thoughts I just sent you.
an advertisement for Kleenex?  ???
that's strange.......

Danny

Quote from: greg on April 27, 2007, 07:54:16 AM
it's his birthday?
oh yeah....... i already wished him a happy birthday on his myspace page (everyone else does it around the same week)....
i kept on asking him for free composition lessons, but it seems he isn't interested (no reply)....  :'(
an advertisement for Kleenex?  ???
that's strange.......

Sergei is my buddy on MySpace, too.  Small world, huh, Greg?

greg

Quote from: Danny on April 27, 2007, 10:48:00 AM
Sergei is my buddy on MySpace, too.  Small world, huh, Greg?

wow, cool  :D
oh, you gotta be my buddy too then  ;)- what's your address?
(just pm me if you don't want the whole world to know)

Danny

Quote from: greg on April 27, 2007, 03:04:04 PM
wow, cool  :D
oh, you gotta be my buddy too then  ;)- what's your address?
(just pm me if you don't want the whole world to know)

Check your myspace when you have the chance. :)

Danny

I plan to give the Second another listen asap.

Maciek

karlhenning

Quote from: Danny on April 30, 2007, 02:59:23 PM
I plan to give the Second another listen asap.

Ну, как?  :)

Danny

I love the first movement (good, feisty, tempestuous stuff).........................gimmee some time and I'll probably love the second (and all of its variations), too!  :)

not edward

Out of curiosity, is there any consensus here regarding the best performance of the 4th piano concerto.

I'm very satisfied with my favoured recordings (Richter or Moravec in the first, Baloghova in the second, the composer in the third, Richter in the fifth) of the other ones, but not the left-hand one.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Danny

I have Ashkenazy, but need more in the Fourth (obviously).

karlhenning

As has been the case with certain other pieces, for a variety of reason which resist "unpacking" at this temporal remove the Richter (a Richter?) recording somehow didn't illuminate this for me.

That service was reserved by Fate to the Vladimir Krainev / Dmitri Kitaenko / Frankfurt Radio Symphony recordings.

Even better, though, is the Michel BĂ©roff / Masur / Gewandhaus, I find.

greg

Look, I just found a "gem of the internet" (anyone who has ever watched "Attack of the Show!" from the G3 channel will know what I'm talking about)  ;D

https://urresearch.rochester.edu/handle/1802/2232

It's an analysis of much of his piano music, breaking in it down and stuff- haven't read it yet, but looking forward to it.  :)

karlhenning

Down to page 6? Where's the outrage?

[ TTT ]

Catison

Just to maybe bump this thread a little bit, I soon plan to revisit all of Prokofiev's operas.  For some reason I bought them all several years ago, but only gave them a passing listen.  I am looking forward to The Gambler.
-Brett

scottscheule

Quote from: greg on May 09, 2007, 04:37:36 AM
Look, I just found a "gem of the internet" (anyone who has ever watched "Attack of the Show!" from the G3 channel will know what I'm talking about)  ;D

https://urresearch.rochester.edu/handle/1802/2232

It's an analysis of much of his piano music, breaking in it down and stuff- haven't read it yet, but looking forward to it.  :)

Bravo!  Excellent find.

greg

Quote from: scottscheule on September 15, 2007, 07:29:04 PM
Bravo!  Excellent find.
man, that was awhile ago! i read the quote and i'm thinking "what, i wrote that?!"

BachQ

Can anyone recommend a kickass Schythian (sp) Suite?

pjme