Prokofiev's Paddy Wagon

Started by Danny, April 07, 2007, 09:29:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

71 dB

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 15, 2020, 03:45:09 PM
I think it would be a good time to take some deep breaths and relax. :-\

Deep breaths are easy. Relaxing is a bit more challenging. However, I deleted half-dozen posts.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on December 15, 2020, 03:46:45 PM
Järvi is consistent on Prokofiev. A cycle I'm liking is the one conducted by Kirill Karabits on Onyx. What I've heard has been satisfactory thus far.

Järvi is quite good, indeed. I like Rozhdestvensky the best even if it is rough around the edges. There's a certain spirit in the playing that I think makes a deep impact.

71 dB

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 15, 2020, 04:23:24 PM
Järvi is quite good, indeed. I like Rozhdestvensky the best even if it is rough around the edges. There's a certain spirit in the playing that I think makes a deep impact.

Unlike others here I have limited funds. I have never understood how people find time to listen to several symphonic cycles. I have several performances of Elgar's symphonies, but it's just 2 symphonies (plus the "elaborated" third) and Elgar happens to be my favorite composer. I feel like people here have several symphony/concerto/sonata/etc. cycles of MANY composer and those cycles typically have more than 2 works. It's amazing to me. For me comparing performances is very difficult. I can do it with Elgar.

David Hurwitz insists Neeme Järvi is the best cycle of all.

Mirror Image

Quote from: 71 dB on December 15, 2020, 04:43:58 PM
Unlike others here I have limited funds. I have never understood how people find time to listen to several symphonic cycles. I have several performances of Elgar's symphonies, but it's just 2 symphonies (plus the "elaborated" third) and Elgar happens to be my favorite composer. I feel like people here have several symphony/concerto/sonata/etc. cycles of MANY composer and those cycles typically have more than 2 works. It's amazing to me. For me comparing performances is very difficult. I can do it with Elgar.

I think it's important to take what any critic says, especially Hurwitz, with a grain of salt. Well, Elgar is easier as you stated because there's only two symphonies. If you decide to go with Järvi, then I doubt you will be disappointed. Truth be told, I'm not too keen on Prokofiev's symphonies in general as I prefer his ballets, concerti, solo piano music and chamber works much more. I just never have thought of him as a great symphonist. YMMV of course.

Karl Henning

Quote from: 71 dB on December 15, 2020, 04:43:58 PM

I disagree with Hurwitz, although on returning to the Järvi set, I've found it better than my earlier recollection. I find his Piano Concerto set stronger than his Symphony set.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

71 dB

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 15, 2020, 07:14:05 PM
I disagree with Hurwitz, although on returning to the Järvi set, I've found it better than my earlier recollection. I find his Piano Concerto set stronger than his Symphony set.

I have the Kun Woo Paik discs on Naxos and I don't think I need another Piano Concerto set at this point.

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 15, 2020, 04:54:21 PM
I think it's important to take what any critic says, especially Hurwitz, with a grain of salt. Well, Elgar is easier as you stated because there's only two symphonies. If you decide to go with Järvi, then I doubt you will be disappointed. Truth be told, I'm not too keen on Prokofiev's symphonies in general as I prefer his ballets, concerti, solo piano music and chamber works much more. I just never have thought of him as a great symphonist. YMMV of course.

Not saying I'm taking Hurwitz with a grain of salt, but I think he's got an interesting personality and I like to listen to him. I have had the Järvi set on my wishlist for years. Someone here must have recommended it. You may have a point about Prokofiev as a symphonist.

Karl Henning

Quote from: 71 dB on December 15, 2020, 07:55:06 PM
I have the Kun Woo Paik discs on Naxos and I don't think I need another Piano Concerto set at this point.

I'm alive to limitations in disposable assets.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

71 dB

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 16, 2020, 10:48:20 AM
I'm alive to limitations in disposable assets.

It's only about money. I'm struggling to allocate time. As crazy as it sounds I didn't have internet connection home until 2002. No wonder I had time to listen to tons of classical music on daily basis. Nowadays I can watch Jake Verda's "Therewasanattempt" videos on Youtube. Or Urbex videos by The Proper People. Or Kyle Kulinski ranting about social media censorship. Or ElectroBOOM, Action Lab, Michael Penn, Mathologer, Dave Cad, Dan Bell, Ihana Pön, Aleksi Himself, Numberphile, TYR the White Fox, Two Minute Papers, The Science Asylum, In The Mix, Music Matters, Signals Music Studio, Hack Music Theory and Dr Peyam just to mention a fraction of the "content creators" to my taste. All of that did not exist before Youtube! Youtube is an astronomical cornucopia of interesting and entertaining content. If 99 % of Youtube videos disappeared I would still find tons of stuff to watch! I don't even watch cat videos, because I feel there's so much BETTER content available. Cool content is being created and uploaded to Youtube servers faster than I can watch it!!  ???

So, WHEN am I supposed to listen to Prokofiev? FakeJake has uploaded a new "Therewasanattempt" video 5 hours ago! Must see! All I can say it there was an attempt to listen to Prokofiev!  ;D

relm1

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on December 15, 2020, 03:46:45 PM
Järvi is consistent on Prokofiev. A cycle I'm liking is the one conducted by Kirill Karabits on Onyx. What I've heard has been satisfactory thus far.

I was very mixed on Karabits on Onyx.  I LOVED some and Loathed some.  They had such a range of audio I would never listen to them ever again.  I believe his No. 3 was atrocious.  His No. 4 revised was fantastic.  A very mixed bag. 

Daverz

Quote from: relm1 on December 16, 2020, 03:59:06 PM
I was very mixed on Karabits on Onyx.  I LOVED some and Loathed some.  They had such a range of audio I would never listen to them ever again.  I believe his No. 3 was atrocious.  His No. 4 revised was fantastic.  A very mixed bag.

I have all the Karabits series, but have yet to revisit them.  Same for Gaffigan.

This reminds me that I need to give the Inkinen recording of 3 & 6 an audition.

Another "up and comer" that impressed me in Russian music was Tugan Sokhiev.  His Prokofiev 5 is on the light side, but I really liked it because I'm tired of "heavy metal" Fifths.  He also did a really good Ivan the Terrible (without the Stasev narration, praise be).

vandermolen

Quote from: Daverz on December 16, 2020, 04:40:50 PM
I have all the Karabits series, but have yet to revisit them.  Same for Gaffigan.

This reminds me that I need to give the Inkinen recording of 3 & 6 an audition.

Another "up and comer" that impressed me in Russian music was Tugan Sokhiev.  His Prokofiev 5 is on the light side, but I really liked it because I'm tired of "heavy metal" Fifths.  He also did a really good Ivan the Terrible (without the Stasev narration, praise be).

I like that recording of the Ivan the Terrible music as well.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

T. D.

I saw John switched his avatar to Prokofiev and thought I'd post some material on the Prokofiev-David Oistrakh chess match:

https://en.chessbase.com/post/the-1937-prokofiev-oistrakh-match
https://chessimprover.com/chess-and-music-part-4-oistrakh-plays-prokofiev/#:~:text=In%201937%20a%20chess%20match,Prokofiev%20won%20the%20fifth%20game.

Mikhail Botvinnik wrote of the two musicians' fondness for chess in his Achieving the Aim, but I'm too lazy to transcribe the passage right now (I do recall a statement that Oistrakh "played [chess  ;) ] cautiously and had good technique.").

More on SP and chess: https://www.chesshistory.com/winter/extra/prokofiev.html

Mirror Image

I'd prefer to talk about the music and recordings. ;) But, yes, I was quite aware that Prokofiev loved chess. Interestingly enough, I do as well.

T. D.

Strictly FYI. Fully aware it's off-topic, but at least it briefly distracted me from politics.

Mirror Image

Quote from: T. D. on January 13, 2021, 11:47:57 AM
Strictly FYI. Fully aware it's off-topic, but at least it briefly distracted me from politics.

I hope the music is even more of a distraction for you from the political threads. :)

T. D.

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 13, 2021, 11:52:50 AM
I hope the music is even more of a distraction for you from the political threads. :)

I've been listening more to non-classical music, in search of upbeat material.

Mirror Image

Quote from: T. D. on January 13, 2021, 11:57:55 AM
I've been listening more to non-classical music, in search of upbeat material.

Listen to some Milhaud. He's guaranteed to lift your spirits.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 13, 2021, 12:00:45 PM

Dave Brubeck's teacher!

Daverz

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 13, 2021, 12:00:45 PM

Also Françaix, Saint-Saëns, and any Poulenc without nuns in it.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on January 13, 2021, 04:43:05 PM
Dave Brubeck's teacher!

That's right! And if I'm not mistaken, Brubeck got to study with him at Mills College where Milhaud taught.