Prokofiev's Paddy Wagon

Started by Danny, April 07, 2007, 09:29:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: foxandpeng on June 06, 2021, 05:11:12 AM
I've been deeply impressed by returning to hearing Prokofiev's symphonies this last week after quite an absence. I picked up the Schipperges biography for £1 at a second hand book store along with Simpson's two paperbacks on The Symphony, Tawaststjerna's second volume of Sibelius translated by Layton, and Alma Mahler on the man himself, all for 50p each. I also had Mahler Rembered by Lebrecht for £1, but I hear he isn't so popular round here.

The Prokofiev is a great read for a novice. The draw of 'home' described there is quite a thing, despite the imperfections that home brings. Anyway, despite not always being so able to discern all of the differences between symphony cycles that many here can describe at length, I've found a real immediacy in the Dmitrij Kitajenko renderings that is less noticeable in the Gergiev and Jarvi that I began with. I've been able to thoroughly enjoy 6, 3, and 7 more than ever with this set of performances. 2 is an 'edge of the seat' experience.

Apologies for rambling, but it's been immensely positive.

My fav cycle. The Litton recordings are good too.

Karl Henning

I've been deeply impressed by returning to hearing Prokofiev's symphonies this last week after quite an absence. I picked up the Schipperges biography for £1 at a second hand book store along with Simpson's two paperbacks on The Symphony, Tawaststjerna's second volume of Sibelius translated by Layton, and Alma Mahler on the man himself, all for 50p each. I also had Mahler Rembered by Lebrecht for £1, but I hear he isn't so popular round here.

The Prokofiev is a great read for a novice. The draw of 'home' described there is quite a thing, despite the imperfections that home brings. Anyway, despite not always being so able to discern all of the differences between symphony cycles that many here can describe at length, I've found a real immediacy in the Dmitrij Kitajenko renderings that is less noticeable in the Gergiev and Jarvi that I began with. I've been able to thoroughly enjoy 6, 3, and 7 more than ever with this set of performances. 2 is an 'edge of the seat' experience.

Excellent, and I do like the Kitajenko set.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

kyjo

One thing that's so fascinating about Prokofiev's symphonic cycle is how completely different each symphony is from one another. I mean, just look at the difference in style between the first two symphonies!  :D
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

foxandpeng

Quote from: kyjo on June 08, 2021, 08:01:07 AM
One thing that's so fascinating about Prokofiev's symphonic cycle is how completely different each symphony is from one another. I mean, just look at the difference in style between the first two symphonies!  :D

It really is quite a thing. The biography I've been reading speaks of #1 being Haydnesque, with a work in which Haydn 'would retain his own mode of writing, but also assimilate a few new things', and by the time he gets to France and starts #2 in 1924  he's writing 'a Symphony of Iron and Steel, stark and shocking and, above all, modern'.

Fascinating stuff! Am enjoying reading the context of his life and composing. Aside from his own growth and personal influences, what a world in transition.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

I just wanted to mention this likable recording. This was recorded at the time of collapse of the communist eastern bloc. Certainly this album is not as good as equivalent albums from major labels discussed here. But the album may compete well with the Kuchar or Alsop from Naxos.
We always look for recordings of better/best performance. This recording is not for that, but from listening to the recording, we can tell that they love the music they are playing and they are very serious and sincere about the playing. To me these factors are as important as the refinement of execution.

Karl Henning

Cross-post:

The Naxos Alsop/Prokofiev box: Jewel-cases or (hopefully) not? Anyone know?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

relm1

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 05, 2022, 03:04:31 PM
Cross-post:

The Naxos Alsop/Prokofiev box: Jewel-cases or (hopefully) not? Anyone know?

It is the individual jewel cases in a single box set.

Karl Henning

Quote from: relm1 on August 05, 2022, 04:16:56 PM
It is the individual jewel cases in a single box set.

Thanks. That's a drag. Must ask the missus if there's a Russian idiom on those lines.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 05, 2022, 04:34:14 PM
Thanks. That's a drag. Must ask the missus if there's a Russian idiom on those lines.

There is not.

Cross-post from WAYLTN

Working my way backwards, so:

Symphony № 7 in c# minor, Op. 131
March and Scherzo from the Suite from The Love for Three Oranges, Op. 33bis
Suite from "Lieutenant Kijé", Op. 60

As a rule, I'm against The Upbeat Ending Which Is What the People Want for the c# minor Symphony, but happily here it is a separate track, which made me smile, rather than roll the eyes.
A very fine account of the Opus 131 it is, too. And I like Richard Whitehouse's liner notes, FWIW.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

vandermolen

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 18, 2022, 04:18:48 PM
There is not.

Cross-post from WAYLTN

Working my way backwards, so:

Symphony № 7 in c# minor, Op. 131
March and Scherzo from the Suite from The Love for Three Oranges, Op. 33bis
Suite from "Lieutenant Kijé", Op. 60

As a rule, I'm against The Upbeat Ending Which Is What the People Want for the c# minor Symphony, but happily here it is a separate track, which made me smile, rather than roll the eyes.
A very fine account of the Opus 131 it is, too. And I like Richard Whitehouse's liner notes, FWIW.
The March from 'The Love of Three Oranges' is not unlike 'The Parade of the Ewoks' from Star Wars: Return of the Jedi (John Williams)  ;D
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Karl Henning

Quote from: vandermolen on August 19, 2022, 10:39:06 PM
The March from 'The Love of Three Oranges' is not unlike 'The Parade of the Ewoks' from Star Wars: Return of the Jedi (John Williams)  ;D

There's that 8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

vers la flamme

Favorite recordings of the complete piano sonatas? I'd like to own a set.

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: vers la flamme on August 28, 2022, 06:38:28 PM

My favourite is the Raekallio set, I would like to suggest it, but it seems to be unavailable now; so I would recommend the Ovchinnikov set, that is excellent in my opinion; it is marvelously played, with a delicate and transparent sound, but also warm and expressive when needed and the phrasing among the sections is very beautiful.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Karl Henning

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on August 29, 2022, 04:42:31 AM
My favourite is the Raekallio set, I would like to suggest it, but it seems to be unavailable now; so I would recommend the Ovchinnikov set, that is excellent in my opinion; it is marvelously played, with a delicate and transparent sound, but also warm and expressive when needed and the phrasing among the sections is very beautiful.

I, too should have suggested Raekallio but suspected the non-availability. Agreed viz. Ovchinnikov. I do like Anne-Marie McDermott as well.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

vers la flamme

The one I ended up pulling the trigger on is Dinara Klinton on Piano Classics, a recent release from 2021. It's sounding really good so far.

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: vers la flamme on September 01, 2022, 02:43:44 AM
The one I ended up pulling the trigger on is Dinara Klinton on Piano Classics, a recent release from 2021. It's sounding really good so far.

Great, I don't know Klinton's Prokofiev, but I hope you'll enjoy it, I read on Amazon that set was praised very much; let us know how it is once you've finished it!
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Spotted Horses

There's also Boris Berman on Chandos, which I have although I must confess I've never heard a Prokofiev Piano Sonata performed by anyone. :(
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Karl Henning

Quote from: Spotted Horses on September 01, 2022, 06:48:37 AM
There's also Boris Berman on Chandos, which I have although I must confess I've never heard a Prokofiev Piano Sonata performed by anyone. :(

What's keeping you?

https://www.youtube.com/v/awPwiod9c9g

Maurizio Pollini playing the Op. 83

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awPwiod9c9g
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Spotted Horses

There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington