Prokofiev's Paddy Wagon

Started by Danny, April 07, 2007, 09:29:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

Trying to lure Guido into the Paddy Wagon:  excellent, excellent.

greg

This has to be watched, too!
Is it just me, or does Dali and Prokofiev go VERY well together!?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aN1c9K92L8s&NR=1

71 dB

Prokofiev's symphony 5 is great!  :)

Now that I have all 5 piano concertos I have to say there's something in them I don't like. Same with violin concertos. Perhaps the symphonies are for me?
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

greg

All 5, really? I think Corey said the same thing. Do you have any idea what you don't like about them, because I'm having a hard time imagining how anyone could dislike (the first 3) if they're not afraid of a little dissonance to begin with.

71 dB

Quote from: GGGGRRREEG on October 03, 2008, 12:00:32 PM
All 5, really? I think Corey said the same thing. Do you have any idea what you don't like about them, because I'm having a hard time imagining how anyone could dislike (the first 3) if they're not afraid of a little dissonance to begin with.

Dislike is too strong. I think it's samething about the orchestra being in "supporting" role in the concertos.

greg

Interesting. In some of the concertos, like the 3rd, it's even been described as "the piano sounding like it's a part of the orchestra." The 2nd isn't as much like that, though......
hm.  :)

Does anyone know if there is a full recording of the op.7? I mean, look at this- wtf?
http://www.prokofiev.org/catalog/workall.cfm?WorkID=163

it's NOT "complete!"  :P
and I bet, as I'm going down the list, there's even more that might be like that.  >:(

71 dB

Quote from: GGGGRRREEG on October 03, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
Interesting. In some of the concertos, like the 3rd, it's even been described as "the piano sounding like it's a part of the orchestra." The 2nd isn't as much like that, though......
hm.  :)

Oh. I need to listen to more. I don't know Prokofiev much yet. About 15 years ago my best friend told me Romeo and Juliet contains brilliant music (he played violin in an amateur orchestra). At that time I didn't listen to classical music yet. Few years later I got into classical music, found Elgar and all but despise of (very) active listening of classical radio (in the beginning I didn't have many classical CDs so radio was my source of exploring). They didn't play much Prokofiev's music (why?) so I never got into his music. Three years ago I finally bought my first Prokofiev CD, Romeo and Juliet (Maazel) and I was impressed. I also bought violin concertos (LSO/Sir Colin Davis). I was less impressed. Then I tried piano concertos 1, 3 & 4 (Kun Woo Paik). Same impressions as with the violin concertos. Recently I heard the 5th symphony on TV (a culture channel) and I was impressed so I bought symphonies 1 & 5 and the rest of the piano concertos.

Prokofiev's music tastes muffin and carrot to me. It works very well when the combination is right. It seems with the concertos there is too much carrot.

I wonder if Prokofiev's chamber/solo piano music has much offer to me?
There is so much to explore with every composer!

karlhenning

Try 'em again another time, Poju. By me, all 5 concerti get it just right, for all that each has a perfectly distinct profile.

rappy

Quote from: karlhenning on October 04, 2008, 09:42:51 AM
Try 'em again another time, Poju. By me, all 5 concerti get it just right, for all that each has a perfectly distinct profile.

While the latter two might sound a bit dry on the first listening, the first one should be very easy to get into (brilliant concerto!), the 2nd and 3rd should behind.

I love the 5th, 1st and 2nd most.

71 dB

Quote from: karlhenning on October 04, 2008, 09:42:51 AM

I listened #2 & #5 today.

Quote from: rappy on October 04, 2008, 09:47:18 AM
While the latter two might sound a bit dry on the first listening, the first one should be very easy to get into (brilliant concerto!), the 2nd and 3rd should behind.

I love the 5th, 1st and 2nd most.

I can't tell them apart yet...

greg

urgggh it's true:
http://www.prokofiev.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=7&Topic=904

well, someone is going to have to record it, even if it isn't that good.

jowcol

I think a lot of my favorites seem to align with what's been expressed here.  I'm quite the fan.

Symphonies:

Lately 2 and 3 have been the ones I keep coming back to.  The first movement of the second may be his most ferocious. THe variations in the second movement can be dizzying, but the main theme is very cool.  I really like the third end to end.  I tend to see the 1st as a novelty-- I like it, but it's not all there for me.  I've never really gotten the 4th in either version-- it just didn't pull me back.  I like the 5th well enough, particulary the second movement, but as a whole it doesn't move me.  The second half of the first movement of the 6th is pure magic-- easily my favorite few minutes of a Prokofiev symphony, but the latter two movements don't get me as much.

The seventh is a bit lite, but the slow closing theme with the Glockenspiel is haunting, and some of his best work. You need to get a version that does not have the "happy ending" tacked on to fully appreciate it. Or learn how to edit sound files.  It is his farewell to music, haunting and moving, and the happy ending forced upon him is not the way he envisioned it.

Piano Concertos:
I haven't fully gotten 4 and 5.  I was orginally drawn to 1 and 3, but two has to be my favorite now.  A bit darker.

String Concertos:
I really, really love the 1st Violin concerto.  So innocent and playful, yet wise.  I must admit the 2nd didn't speak to me, not in the version I heard, anyway.

The Sinfonia Concertante for cello has to be my favorite of his later works.

Other Stuff:

I adore Alexander Nevsky.  I only know the score of Ivan the Terrible from the film, but it was very effective in that setting.

THe Chout Suite  has to be one of my VERY favorite of his works.  ALthough there is a lot of playful and sarcastic moments in there, there are some incredible introspective parts which, for me, channel the Berceuse from Stravinsky's firebird and the blues in equal measure.  I didn't find much extra in the Ballet that really rocked my world.

Overture for Hebrew Themes is a keeper as well. 

Scythian Suite-- have to like this.  I'm not sure if it ranks with Le Sacre, but it has some great moments to it.

Love of Three Oranges and Kije, naturally.

9th Piano sonata.

I haven't mined him too deeply-- he was very prolific. 

"If it sounds good, it is good."
Duke Ellington

karlhenning

Not Sure Just What Calendar the Yale Press Is Using Department:

QuoteA second volume will cover Prokofiev's life from this period to his death in 1952.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Hey, has anyone heard this new Prokofiev symphony box, conducted by Kitajenko?:

http://www.amazon.com/Prokofiev-The-Symphonies-Box-Set/dp/B001DELX12
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

karlhenning

I haven't.  I've got the Krainev/Kitaenko set of the piano concerti, though, which I like very well.  For comparison, I'd probably give the BĂ©roff/Masur concerto set the edge;  but I like them both plenty.

So:  I haven't heard the Kitaenko symphony set, but I'd give it a try.

Catison

Quote from: Spitvalve on November 04, 2008, 06:10:22 AM
Hey, has anyone heard this new Prokofiev symphony box, conducted by Kitajenko?:

http://www.amazon.com/Prokofiev-The-Symphonies-Box-Set/dp/B001DELX12

No, I haven't, but what a wonderful review by Scott Morrison.  It has now achieved wishlist status!
-Brett

karlhenning

Quote from: jowcol on October 09, 2008, 08:13:51 AM
I think a lot of my favorites seem to align with what's been expressed here.  I'm quite the fan.

Symphonies:

Lately 2 and 3 have been the ones I keep coming back to.  The first movement of the second may be his most ferocious. THe variations in the second movement can be dizzying, but the main theme is very cool. . . .

Usually, two-movement symphonies are not my thing.  This is a glorious exception, though.

Separately . . . .

Long ago, in another place, when I first got to know Romeo & Juliet, it seemed like I listened to it, and it alone, for a week.  And I could pretty much still do that.

These days, my schedule does not permit any such thing.  But if it did, I think right now I could do much the same thing with Cinderella.