Prokofiev's Paddy Wagon

Started by Danny, April 07, 2007, 09:29:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bu

The Second Symphony, along with the Second and Fourth Piano Concertos, have really grown on me.

But, I still need to explore his operas..........

karlhenning

Quote from: Bu on December 14, 2008, 02:51:18 AM
The Second Symphony, along with the Second and Fourth Piano Concertos, have really grown on me.

Excellent.

eyeresist

Could you please tell me which recordings?

some guy

I know you weren't asking me, but I think that Leinsdorf's is the best, the most bite, the crispest sound (though the recording sonics are a bit scrappy), the best balance between acerbic and lyrical.

I like Ozawa's too, in that set of all seven (all except the original version of the fourth).

Bu

Quote from: eyeresist on December 14, 2008, 04:37:17 PM
Could you please tell me which recordings?

For the concerti, Ashkenazy/Previn was my first recording and, after close listening, I still think they are superb introductions to the pieces, with controlled, masterful playing by Vladimir. Brofman/Mehta was my next disc and have enjoyed it thorougly.

Regarding the Second symphony, I have Ozawa, Gergiev and Rostropovich.

eyeresist

Quote from: Bu on December 16, 2008, 06:48:14 PM
Regarding the Second symphony, I have Ozawa, Gergiev and Rostropovich.
Of that trio, I have only Gergiev. I understand Ozawa is very good in this work?

Bu

Quote from: eyeresist on December 18, 2008, 05:22:25 PM
Of that trio, I have only Gergiev. I understand Ozawa is very good in this work?

Yes, I like the Ozawa, but there's some controversy over the set as a whole. 

Pierre

But, I still need to explore his operas..........

Either War and Peace or Love for Three Oranges IMHO are good ones to start with.

Daverz

Quote from: Pierre on December 21, 2008, 01:06:59 AM
Either War and Peace or Love for Three Oranges IMHO are good ones to start with.

The DVD of Betrothal in a Monastery with Netrebko is delightful.

Bu

The new erato

I've just noticed that mdt has the brand new Kitayenko/Phoenix symphonies set at the indecent price of £17.61. I pulled the plug to supplement my old Decca/Weller.

Guido

Is Prokofiev's Cantata for the 20th Anniversary of the October Revolution a good piece?
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

Dax

Yes, it certainly is!

There was a version of Seven, they are seven broadcast by the BBC c.1965 which featured Ronald Dowd as the tenor soloist. I still have a recording of it (in even more terrible condition than it was then) which nevertheless revealed considerably more detail than the Rozhdestvensky version - it's a very busy score. I assume noone has it - or has heard it?

Daverz

Quote from: Guido on March 08, 2009, 09:02:07 AM
Is Prokofiev's Cantata for the 20th Anniversary of the October Revolution a good piece?

Yes, tovarich.

I have the Järvi on CD (which I haven't listened to in ages) and Kondrashin on Lp.  I think the Järvi adds in some bits that might have been supressed, I'll have to check the notes, but the Kondrashin is a very rousing performance.

Benji

Quote from: Dax on March 08, 2009, 03:50:34 PM
Yes, it certainly is!

Shhhh! The October Cantata is one of Prokofiev's best-kept secrets, and a real gem of a work with some of his most beautiful music. For your listening please, here is the VII Movement - Victory.

Click to download

Or you can just listen to this clip with one of my all-time favourite Prokofiev themes:

[mp3=200,20,0,left]http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/2/5/2307936/Sample.mp3[/mp3]

I'm positive that if this theme was in one of his symphonies, it would have as many recordings as the 1st or 5th. But being part of a little-known (well, by your average Joe Classical) choral work with communist connetations (however satirical) it has suffered from very unfortunate neglect. So, yes, find a recording and enjoy!  :)

karlhenning

Quote from: Dax on March 08, 2009, 03:50:34 PM
Yes, it certainly is!

There was a version of Seven, they are seven broadcast by the BBC c.1965 which featured Ronald Dowd as the tenor soloist. I still have a recording of it (in even more terrible condition than it was then) which nevertheless revealed considerably more detail than the Rozhdestvensky version - it's a very busy score. I assume noone has it - or has heard it?

I've heard two recordings, terrific little piece!

karlhenning

Quote from: Guido on April 14, 2009, 06:07:43 AM
I have a bit of a hard time with Prokofiev's string concertos because they are just rammed so full of ideas, so many episodes, so many tunes, that I find it hard to keep track of the whole. The Symphony Concerto is I think the 'biggest' concerto for the cello, even if it isn't the longest.

A monstrous piece, in wonderful ways.

Nick

Quote from: Guido on April 14, 2009, 06:07:43 AM
I have a bit of a hard time with Prokofiev's string concertos because they are just rammed so full of ideas, so many episodes, so many tunes, that I find it hard to keep track of the whole. The Symphony Concerto is I think the 'biggest' concerto for the cello, even if it isn't the longest.

The Sinfonia Concertante, Op. 125 isn't one of my big favorites, athough I like it, to be sure. I don't really care for the Violin Concerto No.2, Op. 63 that much either.

Some underplayed favorites that I really respect and enjoy are . . .

-Four Portraits from "The Gambler," Op.49
-Symphonic Song, Op.57
-On the Dnieper, Op.51
-Sarcasms for piano, Op.17
-Choses en sol, Op.45
-Divertissment, Op.43
-Sonata for Piano No.9, Op. 103

I really love all those pieces, and dozens more of them.

karlhenning

Quote from: Prokofiev1891 on April 14, 2009, 07:51:21 AM
The Sinfonia Concertante, Op. 125 isn't one of my big favorites, athough I like it, to be sure. I don't really care for the Violin Concerto No.2, Op. 63 that much either.

The second vn concerto is an old sentimental favorite; we played it at my undergrad college.  I think I should like it a great deal, notwithstanding.

The Symphony-Concerto I took a while to warm to, but now, I'm in no danger of cooling  8)

Cato

Syemero Ikh!  Syemero Ikh!  Syemero Ikh!  Syemero Ikh!  Syemero Ikh!  Syemero Ikh!

Syemero Ikh!   0:)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)