Prokofiev's Paddy Wagon

Started by Danny, April 07, 2007, 09:29:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The new erato

Quote from: Nick on November 18, 2009, 10:51:41 PM

The neglect of Chout, it goes without saying, is absurd.
I have on several occasions and threads on this forum advocated Chout as one og Prokofievs best and most essential works, and indeed, it's neglect both within Prokofiev's oueuvre as well as in 20th century music in general, is astounding.

Maciek

Quote from: erato on September 28, 2009, 10:32:09 PM
Does anybody know the version of the piano concertoes on Hyperion? Both discs are  currently on Hyperions half price sale (please, somebody buy me?), but probably only for a couple of days more.

Not that you care anymore, but I have this one and it put me off buying the other disc. So I agree with the naysayers on this one (to me, the playing felt/sounded extremely mechanical, almost pianola-like, in a rather unpleasant way).

greg

Quote from: erato on November 19, 2009, 01:19:17 AM
I have on several occasions and threads on this forum advocated Chout as one og Prokofievs best and most essential works, and indeed, it's neglect both within Prokofiev's oueuvre as well as in 20th century music in general, is astounding.
Good to hear people agreeing with me on this. It's always nice to search beyond the most popular stuff and find gems like this one.

karlhenning

Quote from: erato on November 19, 2009, 01:19:17 AM

I consider it undeserved but hardly astoundingProkofiev in general trended to under-the-radar upon his repatriation in the 30s;  and most of his work with Dyagilev was thrown under the bus by the Soviet authorities once the composer was in their bailiwick.

Maciek

It's hardly been neglected on this thread! :D (In fact, it's been present from page one.)

karlhenning

Gosh, have we really spent almost the entire thread moaning about how neglected Chout is? () : |>-

The new erato

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 20, 2009, 08:41:35 AM
Gosh, have we really spent almost the entire thread moaning about how neglected Chout is? () : |>-
Don't chout me, I'm only the piano player!

Drasko

goboenomo

Prokofiev's Toccata has to be one of my favourite piano pieces. Big fan of Martha Argerich's playing of this piece. I have been fiddling around with it myself.

Maciek

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 20, 2009, 08:41:35 AM

Should be renamed The Chout Thread.

Benji

I love Prokofiev.

I was just entirely bowled over by Ashkenazy's recording of Romeo & Juliet with the Royal Philharmonic. There's really not much in music that is more soul-wrenching than the Epilogue to R&J - the last few minutes or so, after the raw, unconsolable emotion of the funeral, is just so perfectly, gently melancholic.  Glooming peace indeed.

And then, as if only to convince myself that he really is a master story teller, I listened to the last scene of Cinderella and I melted just a little bit more. It's simply joyous, fairy tale music, full of high romance and infused with magic.

So, yeah, I love Prokofiev.

Just putting it out there.  ;D

Air

Quote from: Benji on November 22, 2009, 05:33:04 PM
I love Prokofiev.

;D

Who doesn't?

(...mischievously increasing my post count)
"Summit or death, either way, I win." ~ Robert Schumann

Benji

Quote from: RexRichter on November 22, 2009, 05:50:39 PM
;D

Who doesn't?

(...mischievously increasing my post count)

Zhdanovists  >:D

karlhenning

Quote from: Benji on November 22, 2009, 06:01:41 PM
Zhdanovists  >:D

Speaking of which . . .

Quote from: ProkofievIn my view, the composer, just as the poet, the sculptor or the painter, is in duty bound to serve Man, the people. He must beautify human life and defend it. He must be a citizen first and foremost, so that his art might consciously extol human life and lead man to a radiant future.

That has a look of duteous word-spinning from his Soviet era.  Of itself, no particularly objectionable sentiment;  but invidious implications . . . that other music, you know, doesn't "beautify life" . . . .

Before his popa got whupped, Prokofiev exulted in some atonal honking, too, y'know.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 23, 2009, 03:40:04 AM
That has a look of duteous word-spinning from his Soviet era.  Of itself, no particularly objectionable sentiment;  but invidious implications . . . that other music, you know, doesn't "beautify life" . . . .

In fact, the phrase "radiant future" (сияющее будущее) is a dead giveaway, pure Stalinist rhetoric. Hard to believe he said such a thing unpressured.

In your view, Sergei?
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

karlhenning

We'll push their music towards a radiant future with an iron fist ; )

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 23, 2009, 04:40:24 AM
We'll push their music towards a radiant future with an iron fist ; )

To quote a dubious source, "Your business is rejoicing."

BTW, does anyone know if Rozhdestvensky recorded all the Prokofiev symphonies and if such a cycle is available?
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Air

Peer pressure makes me want to change my signature now.  :o
"Summit or death, either way, I win." ~ Robert Schumann

Catison

Listening to lots of Prokofiev opera lately.  I have a question about Love for Three Oranges that has bugged me since I first heard it.  Anyone know what the theme is that the trumpets play after the Prince starts laughing?

Here is an mp3.  The trumpet fanfare comes in around 1:20.

https://mywebspace.wisc.edu/btstewart/1-10%20Prokofiev_%20Love%20For%203%20Oranges%20-%20Act%202_%20Kha-Kha...%20Kha-Kha-Kha....mp3

I think he is referencing the March, but I just can't connect the dots.
-Brett

Benji

Quote from: Catison on November 23, 2009, 11:06:09 AM
Listening to lots of Prokofiev opera lately.  I have a question about Love for Three Oranges that has bugged me since I first heard it.  Anyone know what the theme is that the trumpets play after the Prince starts laughing?

Here is an mp3.  The trumpet fanfare comes in around 1:20.

https://mywebspace.wisc.edu/btstewart/1-10%20Prokofiev_%20Love%20For%203%20Oranges%20-%20Act%202_%20Kha-Kha...%20Kha-Kha-Kha....mp3

I think he is referencing the March, but I just can't connect the dots.

Can't help you there, but it occurs to me that the first minute of your clip played in isolation sounds very contemporary in a minimalistic way.  :)