Prokofiev's Paddy Wagon

Started by Danny, April 07, 2007, 09:29:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Catison on November 23, 2009, 11:06:09 AM
Listening to lots of Prokofiev opera lately.  I have a question about Love for Three Oranges that has bugged me since I first heard it.  Anyone know what the theme is that the trumpets play after the Prince starts laughing?

Here is an mp3.  The trumpet fanfare comes in around 1:20.

https://mywebspace.wisc.edu/btstewart/1-10%20Prokofiev_%20Love%20For%203%20Oranges%20-%20Act%202_%20Kha-Kha...%20Kha-Kha-Kha....mp3

I think he is referencing the March, but I just can't connect the dots.

Sounds a little Star Wars-ish to me, perhaps sprinkled with pieces of a game show fanfare.
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Catison

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on November 23, 2009, 02:48:52 PM
Sounds a little Star Wars-ish to me, perhaps sprinkled with pieces of a game show fanfare.

This must be the first time you've heard Love for Three Oranges.  First of all the thing is one huge comedy sketch.  And, John Williams ranks Prokofiev as his most favorite composer, sometimes coming so close to Prokofiev himself that it is uncanny.  Listen to the first Harry Potter score for some examples.  So a Star Wars and Prokofiev comparison is very apt.

Anywho, I still can't figure out where this trumpet thing comes from.
-Brett

Hattoff

I had not noticed that tune before, but is it not from Sibelius' Karelia Suite? Sibelius  being a composer of little value according to Prokofiev (not me).
Composers are often bitchy about each other :o

Benji

Quote from: Hattoff on November 24, 2009, 12:00:09 AM
I had not noticed that tune before, but is it not from Sibelius' Karelia Suite? Sibelius  being a composer of little value according to Prokofiev (not me).
Composers are often bitchy about each other :o

Interesting comment... I can hear what you mean, but i'm not convinced.

That last few 40 seconds remind me very much of the British composer Arthur Bliss (the ballet Adam Zero, if you're interested). I didn't realise quite how much the young Prokofiev had influenced him until now.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Catison on November 23, 2009, 06:26:43 PM
This must be the first time you've heard Love for Three Oranges.  First of all the thing is one huge comedy sketch.  And, John Williams ranks Prokofiev as his most favorite composer, sometimes coming so close to Prokofiev himself that it is uncanny.  Listen to the first Harry Potter score for some examples.  So a Star Wars and Prokofiev comparison is very apt.

How interesting! Hadn't known that about John Williams.

I haven't heard any of the Harry Potter scores (haven't seen the films) so I'm unable to make comparisons but as I listen further to any John Williams scores I'll definitely keep an ear out for the Prokofiev link.
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Brahmsian

I love Prokofiev too.  But can we rename it Prokofiev's Perogy Palace?  ;D

Air

Quote from: Brahmsian on November 24, 2009, 09:47:36 AM
I love Prokofiev too.  But can we rename it Prokofiev's Perogy Palace?  ;D

Yummmmmmmm.....

"Summit or death, either way, I win." ~ Robert Schumann

MN Dave

greg

If it were April Fools Day, it would be fun if someone made an account saying they were John Williams and started posting on this thread.

Benji

Listening to the final movement of The Scythian Suite. It sounds quite Ravellian in places I think, reminscent of Ma Mère l'Oye and i'm sure I hear the influence of Strauss, specifically Salome. Anyone else hear it? 

It's the Gergiev performance with the Kirov i'm listening to. Gergev brings the same magic as he did with L'Oiseau de feu; making the music actually very beautiful, not at all just Prokofiev does Le Sacre.

Catison

Quote from: Benji on November 24, 2009, 03:42:06 PM
Listening to the final movement of The Scythian Suite. It sounds quite Ravellian in places I think, reminscent of Ma Mère l'Oye and i'm sure I hear the influence of Strauss, specifically Salome. Anyone else hear it? 

It's the Gergiev performance with the Kirov i'm listening to. Gergev brings the same magic as he did with L'Oiseau de feu; making the music actually very beautiful, not at all just Prokofiev does Le Sacre.

I'll add this recording to my list.  I was a little bit hesitant to get Gergev in Scythain Suite because I found his Rite to be raw.
-Brett

Benji

Quote from: Catison on November 25, 2009, 10:10:35 AM
I'll add this recording to my list.  I was a little bit hesitant to get Gergev in Scythain Suite because I found his Rite to be raw.

Brett, if you're talking about rawness of execution you might want to sample the Gergiev's Scythian Suite first. It has many of those same rough-around-the-edges, edge-of-your-seat qualities that characterise Gergiev's Rite with the Kirov. I find it exhilarating, but I can appreciate some might prefer the clarity of a more polished orchestra.

...and I should mention that i've not listened to his Nevsky on the same disc, just because i'm out of favour with that work at the moment.

Franco

Prokofiev has always been a composer I wanted to enjoy, but it seemed that he never really hit me like Shostokovich or Stravinsky, Bartok or other 20th century composers in generally the same genre.  Today I tried again by checking out of the library this disc:

I think the solo piano music will appeal to me more immediately than the orchestral works. 

How does Bronfman stack up against other interpreters?  Who are the ones I should look to as the "best" with Prokofiev?

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Franco on December 01, 2009, 03:21:10 PM
Who are the ones I should look to as the "best" with Prokofiev?

What Prokofiev really needs is a performer who can bubble to the surface all the myriad layers and colors infused in the music, all the while keeping the music rolling steadily along. Easier said than done in such complex music.

In my experience no one is better at this than Richter. It helps that Richter was a close associate of Prokofiev's (practically friends) but it goes deeper than that. There's an intangible: a sort of 'mirrored sensibilities' between composer and performer that brought out the best in both of them.

Unfortunately finding Richter's best Prokofiev isn't easy and often editions are OOP and expensive. If you're up to it here's a quick thumbnail:

2nd sonata: Praga (alt: Ankh or BBC Legends)
4th sonata: BBC Legends
6th sonata: RCA (alt: Decca or Praga)
7th sonata: Melodiya (alt: Ankh or BBC Legends)
8th sonata: Russian Revelation is scorching and should be sought out no
                   matter what but is expensive (alt: DG, Pyramid, or Doremi)
9th sonata: Memoria (alt: Praga)

Finally there's the Visions Fugitives, which is a collection of virtuoso/poetic miniatures fully the equal of the sonatas. Richter's recording on RCA is blazing (alt: Decca, though not as fiery).

However...for the perfect one-stop with some of the finest Prokofiev playing this side of Richter - and is easily obtainable - seek out Raekallio's beautifully recorded set on Ondine. It'll have you clinging to your seat.

karlhenning

Crikey, Don, my wallet seriously does not thank you.  Or maybe that Ondine title will come out via Naxos? . . .

:^)

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 01, 2009, 05:26:12 PM
Crikey, Don, my wallet seriously does not thank you.  Or maybe that Ondine title will come out via Naxos? . . .

;D

All in the interest of quality Prokofiev, of course...

A budget reissue of the Ondine is always a possibility. Interesting things do turn up on Brilliant (not sure about Naxos in this case). Worth keeping the fingers crossed as this set is amazing...

What would be just as nice is if all those Richter recordings could be gathered together under one roof - say a nice box or some such. Naxos indeed would be a fine choice for issuer (or Brilliant again).

The new erato

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 01, 2009, 05:26:12 PM

It's on sale at prestoclassical at about 18 (?)  £, but with an extended delivery time.

Franco

Thanks for the suggestions, your response was exactly what I was hoping for - I will look for those recordings.

:)

Archaic Torso of Apollo

What about Prokofiev's string quartets? How good are they? Any recommendations?
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

The new erato

Quote from: Velimir on December 02, 2009, 10:54:01 PM
What about Prokofiev's string quartets? How good are they? Any recommendations?
The Emerson have a good disc if it's still available. I don't think his quartets are essential Prokofiev (in the way that most of his piano music, ballets and some of the operas are), but they certainly are enjoyable listening.