Prokofiev's Paddy Wagon

Started by Danny, April 07, 2007, 09:29:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greg

I'm still missing more or less 30 opuses.... and to get the "rest" (whatever that means with Prokofiev- this isn't even including suites of some of the ballets or other arrangements, for example) I need ~17 more CDs.  ??? (though 10 of them are on that "Songs and Romances" disk set)

Anyways, I've gotten a 2-minute clip from his op.122 Winter Bonfire, called "The Departure." Anyone who hasn't heard it really has to hear it. Let's just say Prokofiev was one of the greatest composers of melody (if not the best), and this definitely showcases it.

I'll have to upload it to youtube since mediafire isn't working right now.

karlhenning

Yes, the Opus 122 I remember being lovely!  (Now, where did I leave that disc? . . .)

karlhenning

BTW, I am delighted at your mission to Collect It All! : )

greg

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 28, 2010, 03:25:02 PM
BTW, I am delighted at your mission to Collect It Catch Them All! : )
op.35, I choose you!

jowcol

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on April 10, 2007, 05:09:24 AM
Some of my favorites which (perhaps) have not yet been mentioned:

Two pieces which Maciek mentioned, which deserve a repeat mention:

Piano Concerto No. 2 in G Minor, Opus 16
Symphony No. 2, Opus 40

These are both so good they deserve a repeat, repeat mention.

Concerto 2 has to be my fave of his piano concerti-- a bit darker than 1 and 3 (which seem to show up the most) but very compelling.   I haven't really warmed up to 4 and 5 yet.

The first movement of Symphony 2 really rocks out.  The second is dizzying...

"If it sounds good, it is good."
Duke Ellington

Archaic Torso of Apollo

clarification wanted

I got my Weller set of the symphonies and have been enjoying it.

However, one thing is unclear. The Brilliant box lists the 4th Symphony as being Op. 47 (the first version). However, the liner notes (and other reviews I've read) claim that this recording is of Op. 112 (the second version). Does anyone know which version is actually played?
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

karlhenning

Quote from: Velimir on April 28, 2010, 05:13:34 AM
clarification wanted

I got my Weller set of the symphonies and have been enjoying it.

However, one thing is unclear. The Brilliant box lists the 4th Symphony as being Op. 47 (the first version). However, the liner notes (and other reviews I've read) claim that this recording is of Op. 112 (the second version). Does anyone know which version is actually played?

How long does the piece run? The Opus 112 revision is substantially longer (35-38 minutes) than the Opus 47 original (23-ish minutes).

Archaic Torso of Apollo

It's definitely the longer version. I guess that answers my question (Brilliant really oughta fix this).

karlhenning

Quote from: Velimir on April 28, 2010, 05:28:09 AM
It's definitely the longer version.

Just out of curiosity: what are the running times of the four movements? (No hurry.)

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on April 28, 2010, 05:51:17 AM
Just out of curiosity: what are the running times of the four movements? (No hurry.)

1: 14.05
2: 11.19
3: 4.50
4: 9.08

Scarpia

Prokofiev's Piano sonatas seem like a gaping hole in my collection, is there an obvious choice for (complete) recordings of these works?

kishnevi

Quote from: James on May 04, 2010, 03:56:27 PM
Hmmm not really imo.

6-8 "war sonatas" being the best of the lot. If you want great performances ...

Sviatoslav Richter is amazing >> Piano Sonatas 2, 6, 9 & #8

Gould's recording of the Sonata No. 7 is wonderful.

Pogorelich, fab Sonata No. 6

Pollini, stellar #7.

Not the Bronfman (which is apparently available as three individual CDs)?

There is this grab bag compilation from EMI, but it misses out on Sonatas 4, 5, and 9

The first disc is Michel Beroff playing Sonatas 1-3, 6, and 7; 8 is played by Boris Giltburg.

Scarpia

I'll admit I was looking at Brofman.  Disappointing to realize there is apparently no decent set of sonatas, and I must set off on a wild goose chase to accumulate a collection of them all. 

Note added, I confused Brofman with Berman.   ???

greg

I wish Richter had recorded all of them- that way, you could probably say, "just get the Richter complete set."

Scarpia

Quote from: Greg on May 04, 2010, 07:17:17 PM
I wish Richter had recorded all of them- that way, you could probably say, "just get the Richter complete set."

You may find this hard to believe, but I don't like Richter.

greg

Quote from: Scarpia on May 04, 2010, 07:30:49 PM
You may find this hard to believe, but I don't like Richter.

(violently throws up all over the place and dies)

Scarpia

Quote from: James on May 04, 2010, 07:46:40 PM
But you should still give him a go on Prokofiev's Sonatas tho .. you won't be disappointed.

I have his recording of the Prokofiev Sonata on DG, I don't know how long it has been since I have listened to it, don't have any memory of it.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Scarpia on May 04, 2010, 07:15:07 PM
Disappointing to realize there is apparently no decent set of sonatas, and I must set off on a wild goose chase to accumulate a collection of them all.

Oh, there's definitely a set worth considering. It's a set I've been writing about for years on this board: Raekallio on Ondine. It's the best Prokofiev playing from anyone this side of Richter (but he's no clone of Richter) and the sound is stunning.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Scarpia

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on May 04, 2010, 07:58:17 PM
Oh, there's definitely a set worth considering. It's a set I've been writing about for years on this board: Raekallio on Ondine. It's the best Prokofiev playing from anyone this side of Richter (but he's no clone of Richter) and the sound is stunning.

Discontinued, and not even a single used copy on amazon.  Oh well...

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Scarpia on May 04, 2010, 08:02:09 PM
Discontinued, and not even a single used copy on amazon.  Oh well...

Try ArkivMusic's MP3 service, not the real deal but better than nothing for something of this quality (they provide samples too - scroll down).

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=15853
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach