Prokofiev's Paddy Wagon

Started by Danny, April 07, 2007, 09:29:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scarpia

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on May 04, 2010, 08:15:04 PM
Try ArkivMusic's MP3 service, not the real deal but better than nothing for something of this quality (they provide samples too - scroll down).

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=15853

Amazon also has an mp3 download.  But I am not willing to do compressed audio or DRM.  I guess I will be passing on this release, and on Prokofiev piano sonatas in general for the time being.

Lethevich

Why is the first symphony so popular? It's cool, but has the substance of a suite. The amount of discs with 1 and 5 coupled is just inane.

Anyways, where (orchestrally) should I go next after having heard the symphonies and major concertos (VCs, PCs)?
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

jowcol

Quote from: Lethe on May 04, 2010, 10:53:45 PM
Why is the first symphony so popular? It's cool, but has the substance of a suite. The amount of discs with 1 and 5 coupled is just inane.

Anyways, where (orchestrally) should I go next after having heard the symphonies and major concertos (VCs, PCs)?

The Ballet Chout is a fave of mine-- a great mixture of moods, and very clever throughout.  The Suite from Three Oranges is also worth checking out, but for me it's not as rich as Chout.  YMMV.

Also I'm a big fan of the Alexander Nevsky Cantata.
"If it sounds good, it is good."
Duke Ellington

greg

I agree with the Chout recommendation.
The best things to explore after that would be his ballets- besides Chout, I'd recommend Romeo and Juliet and The Steel Step (Chout and the Steel Step have a similar style, btw) the most.

karlhenning

Quote from: Lethe on May 04, 2010, 10:53:45 PM
Why is the first symphony so popular? It's cool, but has the substance of a suite.

I think you've answered your own question, Sara:  its an easy sell to the audience, and the effort/reward coefficient is attractive to orchestras.

karlhenning

Quote from: Scarpia on May 04, 2010, 07:15:07 PM
Disappointing to realize there is apparently no decent set of sonatas, and I must set off on a wild goose chase to accumulate a collection of them all. 

Ann-Marie McDermott.  I've heard one of her discs of the Prokofiev sonatas (including the Sixth), and I shall make a point to listen to her entire set.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Scarpia on May 04, 2010, 07:15:07 PM
I'll admit I was looking at Brofman.  Disappointing to realize there is apparently no decent set of sonatas, and I must set off on a wild goose chase to accumulate a collection of them all.

This is a great set

and comes with a Sidoze seal of approval. The problem is locating a copy. I can't remember where I found it, sorry. But keep it in mind.  Petrov plays the sonatas (recorded in the early 70s). Prokofiev plays the works (including Visions Fugitives) on the first disc.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Scarpia

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 05, 2010, 04:48:55 AM
Ann-Marie McDermott.  I've heard one of her discs of the Prokofiev sonatas (including the Sixth), and I shall make a point to listen to her entire set.

I did notice that set, and the fact that it was a recommended issue on Arkiv, but obscure pianist on obscure label led to some skepticism, which perhaps should be overcome.

Scarpia

Quote from: Soapy Molloy on May 05, 2010, 05:29:04 AM
Oh I wouldn't say that.  I have 4 sets: Bronfman, Petrov, Raekallio and Sandor, and all seem more than decent, certainly as an introduction to the repertoire.  Between Bronfman and Raekallio there are differences of phrasing and expression, but not a million miles.  In some I might prefer one, in others another.  Sandor would be generally my least favourite, seeming at times a bit soft-focus, but not much actually wrong with it either.

The only set of which I heard significantly negative comment was McLachlan, though I don't recall the details and haven't heard the recordings.

In addition there are, as mentioned, some fine individual performances.  E.g. the war sonatas in Richter's Vol.I in the Philips Great Pianists collection (and elsewhere no doubt.)  Pollini in 7.  Sokolov in 8.   Quite an interesting 6 from Van Cliburn.  Also interesting 4 and 6 from Lugansky.  And so on.

But if you want a set, and can get Bronfman, that's not at all a bad option.  The issue, as you have found, is how long these things stay in print.

I do have a few individual recordings, the Pollini, Pogorelich, one by Richter, but I enjoy having good integral cycle of important repertoire, which helps me to focus on the music rather than the performance, and gives me the freedom to focus on the sonata I am interested in, rather than the ones that have been deemed the "good ones" by convention.

jhar26

I'm considering buying the Kyung Wha Chung/André Previn recordings of the violin concertos? Does anyone here have them?

Also, what's the best recording of the violin sonatas?
Martha doesn't signal when the orchestra comes in, she's just pursing her lips.

Scarpia

Quote from: jhar26 on May 05, 2010, 08:42:16 AM
I'm considering buying the Kyung Wha Chung/André Previn recordings of the violin concertos? Does anyone here have them?

I like Mullova, but don't have much basis for comparison.

Scarpia

I just realized that when people mentioned Bronfman I was thinking Berman.  Anyone have a comment about the Berman set on Chandos?

jhar26

Scarpia

Quote from: James on May 05, 2010, 10:52:24 AM
Yo Scrapia ... I did some diggin' around for you and there is this set which seems to have rave accolades & worth investigating.

Ok, I will look into it.  It seems there are a few viable alternatives.

Lethevich

I am kind of scared of ballet music in general, but I've heard a lot of good things about Chout, and the suite is nice. That and R&J will be the first that I check, thanks. What are peoples opinions on the following:

Symphony-Concerto
Two cello concertos (kind of related to the first) premiered the Chandos CD
Sinfonietta

Scarpia

Quote from: Lethe on May 05, 2010, 06:45:48 PM
I am kind of scared of ballet music in general, but I've heard a lot of good things about Chout, and the suite is nice. That and R&J will be the first that I check, thanks. What are peoples opinions on the following:

Symphony-Concerto
Two cello concertos (kind of related to the first) premiered the Chandos CD
Sinfonietta

When you hear ballet you may think "Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy.  Don't.  Prokofiev ballets can be like symphonic poems.  For Romeo and Juliet, I recommend the Suite or the complete ballet (not excerpts).  For the suite, Ansermet is wonderful, for the complete ballet Maazel/Cleveland.  There's also the Scynthian Suite (sort of Rite-of-Spring-ish).

And, Piano concerti are prime Prokofiev.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: jhar26 on May 05, 2010, 08:42:16 AM

I have Chung in the VCs and there's nothing I can think of to criticize in her performances. Her approach is warm and lyrical and juiced up with plenty of vitality. She's 100% committed and obviously knows her way around the score.

But it's the "lyrical" thing that can sometimes rub Prokofiev fans the wrong way. Some, like me, prefer a bit more bite and angularity from a Prokofiev interpretation, sort of a sense of a performer getting their hands dirty with the score, or something like that. Which might sound like a negative connotation but in reality really makes Prokofiev's music sparkle. The angularity is the 'special ingredient' so to speak that brings the music to life. And it's quite something to experience when everything is done to perfection.

That's why, for all of Chung's goodness, I prefer Mullova for the second VC. Mullova really dives in and kicks up the dirt and revels in Prokofiev's masterly - though obviously quirky - sound world. Pity she didn't record the first VC. But Chung in her rendition of the first VC doesn't disappoint.   

For the violin sonatas Oistrakh/Richter are good though Mullova again w/Anderszewski is certainly just as good.
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Lethevich

Quote from: Scarpia on May 05, 2010, 08:23:56 PM
For Romeo and Juliet, I recommend the Suite or the complete ballet (not excerpts).
I agree with your suites principle - I'd much rather go with the composer's choices than an individual conductor, especially when suites tend to pack more of a punch, "highlight" performances generally go on for long enough for you to may as well just hear the whole thing. Handel's Messiah is particularly notorious for this pointlessness IMO, and all to fit it onto one 80 min CD.

jhar26

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on May 05, 2010, 08:39:15 PM
I have Chung in the VCs and there's nothing I can think of to criticize in her performances. Her approach is warm and lyrical and juiced up with plenty of vitality. She's 100% committed and obviously knows her way around the score.

But it's the "lyrical" thing that can sometimes rub Prokofiev fans the wrong way. Some, like me, prefer a bit more bite and angularity from a Prokofiev interpretation, sort of a sense of a performer getting their hands dirty with the score, or something like that. Which might sound like a negative connotation but in reality really makes Prokofiev's music sparkle. The angularity is the 'special ingredient' so to speak that brings the music to life. And it's quite something to experience when everything is done to perfection.

That's why, for all of Chung's goodness, I prefer Mullova for the second VC. Mullova really dives in and kicks up the dirt and revels in Prokofiev's masterly - though obviously quirky - sound world. Pity she didn't record the first VC. But Chung in her rendition of the first VC doesn't disappoint.   

For the violin sonatas Oistrakh/Richter are good though Mullova again w/Anderszewski is certainly just as good.
Thanks. I'll go with Chung for the concertos and Mullova for the sonatas.

jhar26

Quote from: James on May 06, 2010, 10:12:01 AM
I'm tellin' ya .. go for (or incl.) the Perlman/Rozhdestvensky for the VCs, it's really good...
Allright James. I've just ordered both the Chung and Perlman recordings of the concertos. Mullova's sonatas will be part of my next order.