Prokofiev's Paddy Wagon

Started by Danny, April 07, 2007, 09:29:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Scarpia on September 06, 2010, 06:45:11 AM
But perhaps Jarvi and his orchestra are part of the problem for me, since they tend to impress me a lot more in the grand tutti's than in the delicate chamber-music textures.

Chamber-like textures is EXACTLY what's needed in the seventh and if Jarvi slights this it's no wonder that the work didn't impress you (haven't heard Jarvi's seventh myself but I wasn't impressed with his sixth). But make no mistake: tension is paramount in this work to keep everything afloat. For intimacy, color, and electricity two recordings stand out to me: Smetacek and Malko - both, incidentally, recorded with great transparency to let all those felicities shine.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

eyeresist

Erm, why does that kid have a beard?

I haven't heard the Smetacek, but can definitely recommend the Malko disc. He has a nice Classical take on the 7th, and the sound is generally admired - it's much better than its age would lead you to expect. He has the "happy" ending, unfortunately, but that's pretty hard to avoid, even nowadays.

As far as complete sets go, you should try to get hold of the Rozhdestvensky cycle. You can get the Venezia reissue fairly cheaply from HMV (note 'English' button on top right). It includes the piano concertos and some historic Russian recordings. Sound isn't great, but it does the job.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: eyeresist on September 06, 2010, 03:36:14 PM
Erm, why does that kid have a beard?

Not really sure but it could be a prank as the original painting didn't have the beard. I'm guessing it's some sort of tie-in relating to the accompanying work on the disc, Chout, which means buffoon. The beard does give the kid a sort of clown-ish look.
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

snyprrr

Listening to Pogo's Sonata 6. Boy, this guy makes the piano sound like different things! So tickling, so impish!

I have this and Pollini Sonata 7. Are the two Sonatas that different, or are the playing styles that different? Pollini is definitely more vicious than Pogo.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: snyprrr on September 17, 2010, 09:29:20 PM
Listening to Pogo's Sonata 6. Boy, this guy makes the piano sound like different things! So tickling, so impish!

I have this and Pollini Sonata 7. Are the two Sonatas that different, or are the playing styles that different? Pollini is definitely more vicious than Pogo.

The sonatas definitely have their own characteristics but, yes, Pollini and Pogorelich couldn't be more different in playing styles.

karlhenning

BRO has the Orchestre National de France/Rostropovich symphonies set for $19.96, if anyone is interested.

Brahmsian

First Listen:

Prokofiev's 'Summer Night Suite', Op.123, w/Russian National Orchestra and Pletnev conducting.  Loving this piece!

Scarpia

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 06, 2010, 07:29:12 AM
BRO has the Orchestre National de France/Rostropovich symphonies set for $19.96, if anyone is interested.

It's actually cheaper on Amazon, if you are getting the one item (it's been languishing in my cart on and off for a while).  Amazon has it for $26, with free shipping.  Berkshire, $19.96, plus $7 and change shipping.  Of course, the advantage goes to Berkshire if it is part of a big haul.

karlhenning

jurajjak

Quote from: ChamberNut on October 06, 2010, 08:40:08 AM
First Listen:

Prokofiev's 'Summer Night Suite', Op.123, w/Russian National Orchestra and Pletnev conducting.  Loving this piece!

The Summer Night Suite is taken from the opera Betrothal in a Monastery--it's one of Prokofiev's most sparkling works, if you're not familiar with it. Of the four complete recordings I know--Gergiev, Jurowski, a Melodiya set, and an old Chant du Monde set--the Gergiev is the best, but is stretched over 3 CDs and is therefore overpriced. The Melodiya is a studio recording, generally solid but less lively than the Gergiev.  The Jurowski is, I think, too quickly paced, and the melodies get lost. The old Chant du Monde has wonderful, highly characterful singing but a terrible orchestra.

Or, best of all, get the DVD of the Gergiev performance.

andrew

karlhenning

Quote from: jurajjak on October 07, 2010, 11:15:52 AM
The Summer Night Suite is taken from the opera Betrothal in a Monastery--it's one of Prokofiev's most sparkling works, if you're not familiar with it. Of the four complete recordings I know--Gergiev, Jurowski, a Melodiya set, and an old Chant du Monde set--the Gergiev is the best, but is stretched over 3 CDs and is therefore overpriced.

Not necessarily overpriced anymore, as it is now part of this Decca box, 6 operas, 14 discs.

The new erato

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 06, 2010, 07:29:12 AM
And the Ozawa set is currently £12.50 on mdt.

Scarpia

Looks like it's time to short sell Prokofiev symphonies.

I just received this set:

karlhenning

Quote from: Scarpia on October 07, 2010, 10:17:17 PM
Looks like it's time to short sell Prokofiev symphonies.

Did you listen to the Ozawa set?

Quote from: ScarpiaI just received this set:

Have you had a chance to listen yet?

Thoughts on either Ozawa or Berman?

Scarpia

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 17, 2010, 07:53:44 AM
Did you listen to the Ozawa set?

Have you had a chance to listen yet?

Thoughts on either Ozawa or Berman?

No Prokofiev since listening to the Jarvi cycle.   :(

karlhenning

Quote from: Scarpia on November 17, 2010, 08:00:51 AM
No Prokofiev since listening to the Jarvi cycle.   :(

Dude, are you letting Järvi destroy Prokofiev!? ; )

Scarpia

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 17, 2010, 09:12:34 AM
Dude, are you letting Järvi destroy Prokofiev!? ; )

Well, destroy is a bit of an exaggeration.  Some of the symphonies were thoroughly enjoyed, others not as much.  I think another cycle will result in some reassessment, but not a revolution.  Those symphonies extracted from opera or other program music will continue to be less appealing.  I think the second symphony is one that has a chance of improving in my assessment.   

But I realized, it is not really true that there has been no Prokofiev.  Over the last three month I've managed to get through two acts of Romeo and Juliet.  All the men jumping around in tights makes the music more difficult to take, although it is nice to know what the action is during all of the most impressive bits of music.

karlhenning

Quote from: Scarpia on November 18, 2010, 07:00:02 AM
Well, destroy is a bit of an exaggeration.  Some of the symphonies were thoroughly enjoyed, others not as much.  I think another cycle will result in some reassessment, but not a revolution.  Those symphonies extracted from opera or other program music will continue to be less appealing.  I think the second symphony is one that has a chance of improving in my assessment.

Ebbene.

DavidW

I think that Jarvi is overhyped on this forum, I find his cycle hit and miss.  Even Kuchar brings more fire to Prokofiev.  There is also a heavier cycle done by Gergiev, and man is it stirring!  Well unless you're wanting a lighter take on the symphonies.

Stick with R&J, just go with the suite instead.  It has some of Prokofiev's most inspired writing, very intense.

Brahmsian

Quote from: DavidW on November 18, 2010, 07:13:09 AM

Stick with R&J, just go with the suite instead.  It has some of Prokofiev's most inspired writing, very intense.

I love my set of R&J Suites, with Jarvi Jr. and Cincinnati SO.