Prokofiev's Paddy Wagon

Started by Danny, April 07, 2007, 09:29:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scarpia

Having a much slower Prokofiev Marathon.  Today, Symphony No 2 and 7, Ozawa, Berlin. 

After the first performance of the second symphony, Prokofiev was reputed to have remarked "Neither I nor the audience understood any of it."  I can understand that sentiment.  The first movement is remarkable mainly for it's relentlessness, I have trouble understanding what is going in (although the booklet accompanying the recording describes it as a Sonata form movement).  There is one wonderful passage around the mid-point where the basses introduce a motif and the other string sections enter one by one, layering on top, building to a climax of sorts.   The second movement is a set of variations on a theme so nebulous it is hard to recognize what it is.

The seventh symphony was much more pleasing.  It contains more of what Prokofiev was good at, beautiful tunes.  The transformation of the opening melody at the end of the first movement is wonderful, as is the transformation of another prominent melody from the first movement at the end of the otherwise boisterous finale.  Well done.

eyeresist

Received the Alto reissue of Barshai conducting symphonies 1 and 5 (or 5 and 1, as the cover has it). It's a decent issue, but not as interesting as I hoped. Barshai's approach is straight ahead, without the passionate richness at one extreme and the caustic weirdness at the other which I think are essential to P's musical character. The sound was too distant and reverberant for my taste. For this music, I want to hear the nittygritty of the instrumenal details.

BTW, listening to Rozhdy's Shost cycle this morning (1st symphony) made me wish he had done a second, later Prok cycle with the attentive shaping he gives Shost here. Or was that the fault of Prok's slapdash orchestral writing? ;)

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Soapy Molloy on May 31, 2011, 02:55:34 AM
For anyone interested in Raekallio's set of the piano sonatas, Ondine have reissued it in a 4-CD set that includes some extras over the previous issue:

:)

Oh, now THAT'S the set of sets! Finally back in print.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

karlhenning

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on May 31, 2011, 04:54:14 PM
Oh, now THAT'S the set of sets! Finally back in print.

Interesting. Fiendish, but interesting : )

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 31, 2011, 05:12:45 PM
Interesting. Fiendish, but interesting : )

Sometimes you just gotta cave in! ;D

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

karlhenning

I'm giving the Anne-Marie McDermott set the thorough listen-through which I've long been meaning.  (And I see that Amazon has it at a markedly higher price than I fetched it in for . . . nor did I get it cheap.)  The Raekallio is at such a price-point, though, that resistance is futile : )

Herman

For anyone interested in Raekallio's set of the piano sonatas, Ondine have reissued it in a 4-CD set that includes some extras over the previous issue:

'Some extras' includes the complete Visons Fugitives, a great opus in my book.

It's about time I'm gettin' this set.

lescamil

Raekallio plays some of the fastest, most articulate Prokofiev I have ever heard. It is not for everyone, but it is really, really exciting to listen to. I wouldn't miss a neatly wrapped up set like that.
Want to chat about classical music on IRC? Go to:

irc.psigenix.net
#concerthall

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,19772.0.html

-------------------------------------

Check out my YouTube page:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jre58591

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on April 27, 2011, 12:20:21 PM
Well pleased with the Birthday Bash!  I've cued up:

Egyptian Nights, Opus 61
Seven, They Are Seven, Opus 30
Piano Concerto № 4 in Bb, Opus 53
Symphony № 6 in eb minor, Opus 111
Zdravitsa, Opus 85
Festive Poem "The Meeting of the Volga and the Don," Opus 130
Piano Concerto № 5 in G, Opus 55
Symphony № 2 in d minor, Opus 40
Hamlet, incidental music Opus 77
The Tale of the Stone Flower, Opus 118 (Act I)
Sonata for violoncello & piano, Opus 119
Piano Sonata № 8 in Bb, Opus 84
Piano Sonata № 9 in C, Opus 103

Wonderful variety and richness!

"The Meeting of the Volga and the Don"! What a great piece! Surprisingly one of the first pieces of music I heard of Prokofiev many years ago. The 1 1/2 minute ending is a head-banging good time.
Wonderful mention, Karl. 

karlhenning

Quote from: Herman on June 01, 2011, 09:02:26 AM
'Some extras' includes the complete Visons Fugitives, a great opus in my book.

Aye, it's a beauty . . . though, Finlandia-like, it looks like the Prokofiev opus of which I have the most recordings, as it winds up serving as "filler" (it's a better piece than "filler," we both know that . . . .)

eyeresist

Ooh ooh ooh! I've been interested in this set ever since I read a review that said it really brings out the counterpoint of the sonatas. (Possibly related to my suggestion they be transcribed to quartet?)

Added to my wishlist.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: eyeresist on June 01, 2011, 07:34:14 PM
Ooh ooh ooh! I've been interested in this set ever since I read a review that said it really brings out the counterpoint of the sonatas.

And that's how Prokofiev's music works best for me - opened up yet kept under the pressure cooker.

The new erato

Ordered it in the previous incarnation but never received it. Ended up with McDermott instead, and as I have one of Raekallio's discs as a single, I think that this one's not for me.

karlhenning

Interesting, erato!  Could you expand on that? I am curious.

In all events (and I am still looking forward to giving Raekallio a listen), I am pleased that you like the McDermott set, which I find very satisfying.

The new erato

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 02, 2011, 04:39:47 AM
Interesting, erato!  Could you expand on that? I am curious.

In all events (and I am still looking forward to giving Raekallio a listen), I am pleased that you like the McDermott set, which I find very satisfying.

I like the Raekallio disc I have a lot, but since I aquired the McDermott in the meantime because the unavailability of the complete set; i won't go that route. McDermott is plenty fine, and of course I've lots of other single disc options.

Amfortas

Excellent article on the composing of the Lieutenant Kijé Suite

http://www.sprkfv.net/journal/three13/creating.html
''Better pass boldly into that other world, in the full glory of some passion, than fade and wither dismally with age.'' - James Joyce (The Dead)

eyeresist

I've been wondering about the piano sonatas, with which I'm not very familiar. I have one set by Petrov (Venezia) and it hasn't really sold me. Today I checked out a bunch of Amazon samples, focusing particularly on the Scherzo from the 2nd and the Precipitato from the 7th. Based on this, am considering the following sets (in rough order of preference):

Raekallio (super-fast in the precipitato!)
Berman
McLachlan
Chiu
Glemser

+ Pletnev's CD of 2, 7 & 8.

Sadly, unlike with the symphonies or the piano concertos, there aren't any good sets available at bargain prices. In fact, most of these are difficult to find as sets, as opposed to volumes. Even the Naxos and Arte Nova series have not been boxed.

So which will best serve as a "benchmark"? Which lucky lad (and they are all lads) should I spend my money on?

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: eyeresist on July 28, 2011, 12:04:55 AM
I've been wondering about the piano sonatas, with which I'm not very familiar. I have one set by Petrov (Venezia) and it hasn't really sold me. Today I checked out a bunch of Amazon samples, focusing particularly on the Scherzo from the 2nd and the Precipitato from the 7th. Based on this, am considering the following sets (in rough order of preference):

Raekallio (super-fast in the precipitato!)
Berman
McLachlan
Chiu
Glemser

+ Pletnev's CD of 2, 7 & 8.

Sadly, unlike with the symphonies or the piano concertos, there aren't any good sets available at bargain prices. In fact, most of these are difficult to find as sets, as opposed to volumes. Even the Naxos and Arte Nova series have not been boxed.

So which will best serve as a "benchmark"? Which lucky lad (and they are all lads) should I spend my money on?

I'm pinched for time at the moment but I can offer a sort of thumbnail:

Of those on your list I own the Raekallio set, a disc from Glemser's set, and a disc from Chiu's set. They each offer their own interpretive approaches and have little in common with one other.

•Raekallio - more staccato yet never letting the lyricism in the music slide. Subtleties not heard from other pianists emerge here and work to glitter up the music. Few pianists can maximize Prokofiev's "jutting" style like Raekallio. And it works. Plenty of color, too. Fantastically recorded. 

•Glemser - interpretively he couldn't be more different than Raekallio. Glemser favors a more legato approach, with less color, playing up the lyricism in the music. Yet he makes a thrilling case for his approach! There's less tension than some yet he can never be accused of skimming the surface of the music. Well recorded.

•Chiu - inhabits an interpretive middle ground pretty much smack in-between Raekallio and Glemser. Quite unique and nicely recorded.

The Raekallio set has just been reissued so should be easily available with probably some good bargains out there.

eyeresist

The new erato

This new release looks very interesting:

PROKOFIEV

Summer Night Suite, Op. 123

1. I. Introduction
2. II. Serenade
3. III. Minuet
4. IV. Dreams
5. V. Dance

6. Seven, They are Seven Cantata, Op. 30

7. The Meeting Of the Volga and the Don - Festive Poem, Op. 130