Prokofiev's Paddy Wagon

Started by Danny, April 07, 2007, 09:29:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hattoff

Yes,
I got it from Japan about four years ago, the pieces are played well and it's got all those lovely rarities. On first hearing the festive Poem sounds dull but it contains a hidden melody that suddenly appears after several listens and it's a cracker.
Recommended.

The new erato

Quote from: Hattoff on September 07, 2011, 12:07:06 AM
Yes,
I got it from Japan about four years ago, the pieces are played well and it's got all those lovely rarities. On first hearing the festive Poem sounds dull but it contains a hidden melody that suddenly appears after several listens and it's a cracker.
Recommended.
I wasn't aware that it was an older reciording. Thanks for the feedback; it will fill many holes in my Prokofiev collection.

Hattoff

Erato,
It's on the Japanese label Exton which has not been available in the west until recently. It cost me £60 to import it, so it's a relative bargain :D

Hattoff

I made the mistake of listening to the Festive Poem after posting my last post and now I've got the melody stuck in my head, it'll be there all day. Good.

The whole disc is very melodic even if they're not Prokofiev's greatest compositions.

karlhenning

A splendid disc! Even B-grade Prokofiev is well worth the time and attention.

Hattoff

ibanezmonster

Quote from: The new erato on September 06, 2011, 11:50:19 PM
This new release looks very interesting:

That's a good one. Especially excellent if you're into collecting all (or most) of his stuff.

North Star

This seems interesting, too - Cello Sonata in C major, Op. 119,  Ballade, Op. 15, Cinderella, Op. 97bis: Adagio,  Cello Concertino in G minor, Op. 132, 5 pieces from the Chout (Idiot) arranged for cello and piano (not by Sergei), Cello Sonata in C sharp minor, Op. 134 (completed by V. Blok)

[asin]B000089HC0[/asin]
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

karlhenning

No, chout is buffoon (etymologically related to the word for joke), not idiot. (Call it a detail.)

not edward

Quote from: North Star on September 08, 2011, 07:12:06 AM
This seems interesting, too - Cello Sonata in C major, Op. 119,  Ballade, Op. 15, Cinderella, Op. 97bis: Adagio,  Cello Concertino in G minor, Op. 132, 5 pieces from the Chout (Idiot) arranged for cello and piano (not by Sergei), Cello Sonata in C sharp minor, Op. 134 (completed by V. Blok)

[asin]B000089HC0[/asin]
I must admit I was a bit underwhelmed by this disc, even if I'm not sure why. Guess I need to revisit it, because I rather liked the other Ivashkin Prokofiev recordings, aside from the "Schnittke" cadenza to the Concertino (it isn't by Schnittke, and it's a total clusterfuck to boot).

The Ashkenazy one looks tempting; even if Seven, They Are Seven is the only top-drawer Prokofiev there, I'm sure the minor pieces I don't know are going to be plenty entertaining enough. So far I've not seen it at a good price here, though.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

North Star

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 08, 2011, 07:37:44 AM
No, chout is buffoon (etymologically related to the word for joke), not idiot. (Call it a detail.)

Indeed, I messed up because in Finnish it's translated as is idiot.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

karlhenning

eyeresist

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 08, 2011, 07:37:44 AM

Split the difference and call it "Fool". :)

karlhenning

Well, buffoon and fool are practically synonyms. Cant usage aside, idiocy is a pathology.

eyeresist

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 09, 2011, 04:48:25 AM
Cant usage aside, idiocy is a pathology.[/font]

That's just your psychiatrist trying to be polite :)

karlhenning

Well, and since psychiatrists are necessarily a part of society, why shouldn't they be polite? . . .

Brahmsian

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 09, 2011, 06:18:37 AM
Well, and since psychiatrists are necessarily a part of society, why shouldn't they be polite? . . .

From experience, psychiatrists are usually not polite (at least not the ones I've seen).  Very condescending.  They know everything, and you know nothing type of attitude.

eyeresist

Thankfully, Sergei never got his head shrunk. (Being CS, he probably wasn't allowed.)

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: jhns on September 26, 2011, 08:21:05 PM
I really enjoy his refined works like the Classical Symphony, Visions Fugitifs, Violin Concertos, Romeo and Juliet, but I don't like the music that is just noise such as the Scythian Suite and some of his other symphonies, mainly the third one. Prokofiev was a fine composer when he wasn't being too loud just for the sake of it. As in the works I mentioned and some others. I have many favourite interpreters of his music, too many to mention. Sviatoslav Richter and Emil Gilels are two who make even Prokofiev's hardest works a pleasure to listen to. He has to be played in a way to make the listener hear his music properly, not just as ugly noises.

The storyline behind his opera "The Fiery Angel", the basis for which symphony no.3 was composed, justifies the noisy passion. Get to know the opera and it's plot, and no.3 becomes a fantastic listen.

lescamil

Quote from: jhns on September 26, 2011, 08:21:05 PM
I don't like the music that is just noise such as the Scythian Suite and some of his other symphonies, mainly the third one. Prokofiev was a fine composer when he wasn't being too loud just for the sake of it. [...] He has to be played in a way to make the listener hear his music properly, not just as ugly noises.

Please do not use such uncouth and uninformed statements about a composer's work. Comments like this are an attack on both the composer and on people who love these works and study them diligently. I am 100% sure that the composer's intent when writing these works was not just to write "loud noises for the sake of it". With a master like Prokofiev, every musical act has a well-justified reason, especially with a masterwork like the third symphony (my favorite of them, actually). Take away the preconceived notions about music, and you'll enjoy the third symphony, the Scythian Suite, The Fiery Angel, and other similar works. Give it a try.
Want to chat about classical music on IRC? Go to:

irc.psigenix.net
#concerthall

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,19772.0.html

-------------------------------------

Check out my YouTube page:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jre58591