Prokofiev's Paddy Wagon

Started by Danny, April 07, 2007, 09:29:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ibanezmonster

The Chang version is the one I have and have ever listened to, and honestly, it's good enough to where I've never felt the need to find another recording.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Greg on October 11, 2011, 12:27:26 PM
The Chang version is the one I have and have ever listened to, and honestly, it's good enough to where I've never felt the need to find another recording.

This is good to know, Greg, but if I really enjoy a work, I like having more than one performance of it. So now I have Wallfisch, Rostropovich, and Chang. I'm sure there's several more, I think Pletnev recorded this work.

Mirror Image

Went off the deep end again with more Prokofiev ballet recordings:

Mirror Image

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on October 11, 2011, 11:56:37 AM

Agreed, fine performance. Glad to see MI going for it.

Yeah, I'm glad I went for it, DD. If so many people feel that adamant about this performance, then count me in! :) Anyway, it will be nice to have another performance of this fine work anyway. That middle movement is something else, especially after a couple of minutes into it the cello states this heartbreakingly melody with the orchestra sweeping this melody right along. It's such a yearning musical phrase that it really pulled me right in.

Could it be that Prokofiev is climbing into my Top 5 spot of composers of all-time? I'm developing such a strong kinship with his music it seems. I've always liked his music, but it has only been recently until it started really tugging away at me.

I've been reading a lot about his life and this helps my appreciation for his music even further. His history may not be as exciting as some composers, but the fact that he finally returned home after avoiding it for such a long time really puts emphases on that old saying "Home is where the heart is."

Herman

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 10, 2011, 05:15:15 PM
I own all of Ozawa's Prokofiev recordings, which range from very good to great. I have not heard any Jurowski's recordings on CPO, but honestly I've never been too impressed with his conducting.

I have Jurowski's Cinderella and I think it's splendid.

snyprrr

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 11, 2011, 08:33:16 PM
Went off the deep end again with more Prokofiev ballet recordings:

hmmm ;)

I just got the Gergiev set of Symphonies from the library (could have gotten Ozawa R&J) and listened to No.7. Sure, who doesn't like the first movement, but then it all ends up sounding like ballet music anyhow, at least to me. I was in the middle of No.6 when I started wondering how the ballets could be so much different than these wistful and sentimental/nostalgic Symphonies?

After being reminded by 6-7 that I consider Prokofiev a 'Christmas' Composer (he's just so heart warming), I question whether I do really want to plow through the giant stack of ballets that MI has just set up for himself. I mean, the season is upon us, so, maybe... but I just don't feel like falling for it (meaning I'm sure I could if I let myself).

Perhaps the emotions of Chout are more up my alley?

not edward

Quote from: snyprrr on October 12, 2011, 01:28:29 PM
After being reminded by 6-7 that I consider Prokofiev a 'Christmas' Composer (he's just so heart warming
The 6th symphony heart-warming? I can understand people finding the 7th that way (I don't), but the 6th?
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Mirror Image

hmmm ;)

I just got the Gergiev set of Symphonies from the library (could have gotten Ozawa R&J) and listened to No.7. Sure, who doesn't like the first movement, but then it all ends up sounding like ballet music anyhow, at least to me. I was in the middle of No.6 when I started wondering how the ballets could be so much different than these wistful and sentimental/nostalgic Symphonies?

After being reminded by 6-7 that I consider Prokofiev a 'Christmas' Composer (he's just so heart warming), I question whether I do really want to plow through the giant stack of ballets that MI has just set up for himself. I mean, the season is upon us, so, maybe... but I just don't feel like falling for it (meaning I'm sure I could if I let myself).

Perhaps the emotions of Chout are more up my alley?

Prokofiev had a melodic gift and he used this to great effect in his music. I don't consider his symphonies all that sentimental. They are marvelous though and do contain many different moods and emotions.

I don't like Gergiev in Prokofiev at all. I think too often his approach is wrong-headed and not structured or lyrical enough. You can't conduct Prokofiev like you do Shostakovich, but I guess both composers sound the same to him. ::) One of the most important things in Prokofiev is to never loose sight of the musical line and how it develops. A conductor also has to get ready to change their frame of mind many times, especially in the ballet music.

You see, snyprrr, I could listen to ballet music all day and all night and never tire of it, because I'm passionate about this genre. I like the changing moods, the rhythms, the forward motion, the motivic development, etc. that is found in this music. Prokofiev was a master of this form and really injected his own wit, humor, heart, and mind into the music. At this juncture, it doesn't matter to me whether somebody dislikes his music. I could really careless. His music reaches me and soothes my soul. Not many composers have done this, but I can now say that Prokofiev's music means a lot to me.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 12, 2011, 06:31:40 PM
I don't like Gergiev in Prokofiev at all. I think too often his approach is wrong-headed and not structured or lyrical enough. You can't conduct Prokofiev like you do Shostakovich, but I guess both composers sound the same to him. ::) One of the most important things in Prokofiev is to never loose sight of the musical line and how it develops. A conductor also has to get ready to change their frame of mind many times, especially in the ballet music.

The Gergiev symphony set is inconsistent, but I believe his fiery approach works for No.3, No.4 (1947 version) and No.6. Haven't heard anything else of from Gergiev other than his R&J, which benefits from his intensity and the great LSO. Here's a taste.

http://www.youtube.com/v/Z_hOR50u7ek

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on October 12, 2011, 06:46:56 PM

The Gergiev symphony set is inconsistent, but I believe his fiery approach works for No.3, No.4 (1947 version) and No.6. Haven't heard anything else of from Gergiev other than his R&J, which benefits from his intensity and the great LSO. Here's a taste.

http://www.youtube.com/v/Z_hOR50u7ek

I own Gergiev's symphony set and his Romeo & Juliet with the LSO. From comparing Ozawa's Romeo & Juliet recording with the BSO with Gergiev's, Ozawa is clearly the frontrunner. Ozawa approaches the score with grace and vigor when the music calls for it to be pushed, but he's always mindful that this is a ballet and not something to be rushed through as if he's got something better to do, which is the feeling I got from Gergiev. The Ozawa set of symphonies doesn't hold a candle to my preferred choices: Jarvi and Rostropovich, who both seem to have a better feel for these works than Ozawa, but Ozawa still ranks ahead of Gergiev. I'm starting to second guess a lot of what Gergiev does interpretatively and have to say that 9 times out of 10 his interpretative choices do not coincide with how I think the work should sound. Anyway, not to turn this into a Gergiev rant, but the guy is so damn inconsistent and leaves me puzzled half of the time as to why he just can't get his act together. Is it the case of spreading himself too thin? Perhaps...

Mirror Image

Prokofiev Piano Concertos anyone? :D What are some of your favorite performances and do you have a favorite overall set?

Mine would be a tough choice, but I'm leaning towards Ashkenazy/Previn (Decca), but lately I've been spinning Krainev/Kitaenko (Teldec) and Berman/Gutierrez/Jarvi (Chandos), which I think both sets are fantastic, but I think I may prefer (slightly) the Krainev set. He's such an excellent pianist and Kitaenko's accompaniment is top-notch.

Anyway, what say ye?

lescamil

For me, you can't do better than the Gutierrez/Berman/Järvi set on Chandos. Gutierrez's absolutely jaw dropping performance of the second concerto is perhaps one of the best recordings of any piano music. The cadenza in the first movement has to be one of the all time feats of recorded pianism, and coming from a pianist, I'm not exaggerating. The way he plays an already near-impossible work to learn is incredible. For a microcosm of what Berman brings to the table, try out his great rendition of the first concerto. It might not suit everyone, but there's just something that "pops" with the outer movements that I haven't heard in anyone else, with the exception of Andrei Gavrilov's rendition (unfortunately, his piano is not very good). His middle movement is paced perfectly, also. Järvi seems like one of the better "concerto conductors", able to work with his soloists very well to whatever they ask for.
Want to chat about classical music on IRC? Go to:

irc.psigenix.net
#concerthall

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,19772.0.html

-------------------------------------

Check out my YouTube page:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jre58591

Mirror Image

Quote from: lescamil on October 12, 2011, 08:29:11 PM
For me, you can't do better than the Gutierrez/Berman/Järvi set on Chandos. Gutierrez's absolutely jaw dropping performance of the second concerto is perhaps one of the best recordings of any piano music. The cadenza in the first movement has to be one of the all time feats of recorded pianism, and coming from a pianist, I'm not exaggerating. The way he plays an already near-impossible work to learn is incredible. For a microcosm of what Berman brings to the table, try out his great rendition of the first concerto. It might not suit everyone, but there's just something that "pops" with the outer movements that I haven't heard in anyone else, with the exception of Andrei Gavrilov's rendition (unfortunately, his piano is not very good). His middle movement is paced perfectly, also. Järvi seems like one of the better "concerto conductors", able to work with his soloists very well to whatever they ask for.

Coincidently, I'm listening to Gutierrez perform Prokofiev's PC No. 2 right now. 8) Yes, this is an amazing performance. No doubt about it. His approach works quite well with this concerto. He is a great player. I think many approaches here are valid and I like Krainev's performance from the Kitaenko set a lot too. I think I slightly prefer it because of there's a certain atmosphere it conjures up that the Jarvi doesn't quite achieve. But, as I said, both approaches work well for the 2nd. I've always liked Jarvi's accompaniment, but Kitaenko has him running for his money here too I think. Kitaenko's approach is perhaps more refined than Jarvi's, but both conductors bring fire to the table.

lescamil

I'll have to try out the Krainev/Kitayenko (I've seen this transliterations often) set soon, then. Vladimir Krainev recently passed on, and he is a pianist I have wanted to get better acquainted with. I can't say I like having multiple recordings of the concertos on my regular listening, but I will give it a shot soon enough.
Want to chat about classical music on IRC? Go to:

irc.psigenix.net
#concerthall

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,19772.0.html

-------------------------------------

Check out my YouTube page:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jre58591

Herman

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 12, 2011, 07:43:23 PM
Anyway, what say ye?

I agree with your asessment of Gergiev's Prokofiev symphonies. However, I do like the set with Piano Concertos with Toradze.

Herman

I was in the middle of No.6 when I started wondering how the ballets could be so much different than these wistful and sentimental/nostalgic Symphonies?

There is nothing merely wistful or sentimental about Prokofiev's 6th symphony.

It is one of the great symphonies of the 20th century, a mindblowing piece.

not edward

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 12, 2011, 07:43:23 PM
Prokofiev Piano Concertos anyone? :D What are some of your favorite performances and do you have a favorite overall set?
For the set, Browning/Leinsdorf would definitely get the nod. I didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did; but all the performances are of a very high calibre. Individual concerto-wise:

Richter or Moravec in the 1st (not a deep work, but both pianists are exhilarating when appropriate and make much from the more lyrical passages).
Baloghova in the 2nd (almost the also-excellent Guiterrez's polar opposite; much less virtuosic but building the narrative so perfectly).
Prokofiev himself in the 3rd (despite the 1930s sound, it's so outstanding a performance as to make me feel other performances are superfluous).
Richter/Wislocki in the 5th (another performance that's simply on a different plane from the competition).

I don't have a favourite 4th.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."

Mirror Image

Quote from: edward on October 13, 2011, 04:14:57 AM
Baloghova in the 2nd (almost the also-excellent Guiterrez's polar opposite; much less virtuosic but building the narrative so perfectly).
Prokofiev himself in the 3rd (despite the 1930s sound, it's so outstanding a performance as to make me feel other performances are superfluous).

Speaking of polar opposites, this is how I would compare Guiterrez's and Krainev's performances. They are miles apart from each other. Guiterrez's is the more virtuosic performance, whereas Krainev's is more about texture, atmosphere, and building the lines. Both are valid approaches and compliment each other quite well I think.

TheGSMoeller

I'll send a shout-out to the Bronfman/Mehta recordings of the Piano Concertos. Always seem to get mixed reviews online, but I like them.

not edward

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 13, 2011, 07:49:09 AM
Speaking of polar opposites, this is how I would compare Guiterrez's and Krainev's performances. They are miles apart from each other. Guiterrez's is the more virtuosic performance, whereas Krainev's is more about texture, atmosphere, and building the lines. Both are valid approaches and compliment each other quite well I think.
Sounds like Krainev's view of the work may have much in common with Baloghova (Browning also shares much of Baloghova's attributes, I think). Another view I've heard that was very similar was Severin von Eckhardstein's when he didn't win the Leeds--Angela Hewitt said that it was the best performance she'd ever heard of the work, and I was inclined to agree, though I'd not heard Baloghova at that point in time. I'd still like to hear him make a commercial recording of the work.