Prokofiev's Paddy Wagon

Started by Danny, April 07, 2007, 09:29:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ibanezmonster

Quote from: madaboutmahler on November 27, 2011, 10:46:58 AM
Has Neeme Jarvi replied yet? Would be interested to know what he says - I think it is a very interesting, wonderful orchestration!
Not yet... I'll give a it a few days, though.

This is his address:
xxxxx <xxxxx>
but I deleted the "<xxxxxx>-" not sure if that had any effect or not.

If he doesn't reply, I'll e-mail someone else, but... any suggestions are welcome, because I'm not sure who else would be good to e-mail.  ???

lescamil

Uh-oh, I hope Neeme Järvi's email isn't spammed now.
Want to chat about classical music on IRC? Go to:

irc.psigenix.net
#concerthall

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,19772.0.html

-------------------------------------

Check out my YouTube page:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jre58591

ibanezmonster

Quote from: lescamil on November 27, 2011, 04:08:55 PM
Uh-oh, I hope Neeme Järvi's email isn't spammed now.
Assuming you're saying this because I posted it here?...
Changed it to xxxxxxxxx....

it's just the e-mail on his website when you click the "E-mail" link.

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Greg on November 27, 2011, 01:30:34 PM
Not yet... I'll give a it a few days, though.

This is his address:
xxxxx <xxxxx>
but I deleted the "<xxxxxx>-" not sure if that had any effect or not.

If he doesn't reply, I'll e-mail someone else, but... any suggestions are welcome, because I'm not sure who else would be good to e-mail.  ???

Ok, well, let us know when he does reply. I wonder how often people like Neeme Jarvi actually get to check their emails.... probably not often at all! Your choice of conductor to email was great by the way, I love Jarvi in Prokofiev.
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

eyeresist

This last weekend I went through a big choral phase, which is rare for me. Apart from burning out on Mahler's 8th, I also returned to the choral works of Prokofiev.

[ASIN]B0000296LR[/ASIN]
October Cantata; Prosper Mighty Homeland; A Toast! (Hail to Stalin)

This CD is always a rewarding listen. The Cantata is terrifically exciting, which almost overshadows how inventive and advanced it is. I'd love to see it live one day. The other two items are delightful "occasional" works. Prokofiev really knew how to make the most out of soaring sopranos countered by vigorous ostinato basses.

Ballad of a Boy who Remained Unknown; On Guard for Peace - I have the Venezia reissue, bought through HMV Japan.

Not as memorable as the above items, these two oratorios are still rewarding and diverting works. As usual with Prokofiev, there are swooning anthems and stirring marches, spiced with interesting musical effects. They both sound like they'd be great fun live. Rozhdestvensky conducts and does well with works I imagine even he did not find very familiar. My only really problem is with the boy singer in On Guard for Peace, who sounds like he is auditioning for the Dead End Kids; just thoroughly obnoxious.

If you like Prokofiev and choral music, you should encounter these works!

mahler10th

The year 1941.  I love this music.  Prokofiev at his best.  And this concert was outdoors before 6 in the morning!  Brilliant.

http://www.youtube.com/v/IRncyZkXSME

Wild as hell.  This piece always gets me.

Hattoff

If you ever get the chance listen to the soundtrack of Partisans in the Ukrainian Steppes, whilst watching the film. There is a section where the main slow theme is counterpointed with a theme from Semyon Kotko, it will tear your heart apart. It is not used in the Suite 1941 for some reason.

It tears the heart apart.

You don't have to understand russian to hear it.

mahler10th

Quote from: Hattoff on January 16, 2012, 12:14:36 PM
If you ever get the chance listen to the soundtrack of Partisans in the Ukrainian Steppes, whilst watching the film. There is a section where the main slow theme is counterpointed with a theme from Semyon Kotko, it will tear your heart apart. It is not used in the Suite 1941 for some reason.

Thank you for that, Hattoff.  I am away to see if I can find it!  There's nothing more amazing than having ones heart ripp'd asunder by music.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Hattoff on January 16, 2012, 12:14:36 PM

The lyrical section in the second movement of Symphonia Concertante always tears my heart apart. Such aching beauty. Yes, you don't have to be Russian to understand this either. 8)

mahler10th

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 16, 2012, 01:26:07 PM
The lyrical section in the second movement of Symphonia Concertante always tears my heart apart. Such aching beauty. Yes, you don't have to be Russian to understand this either. 8)

I was unsuccessful in obtaining Partisans in the Ukrainian Steppes quickly, so I'm listening to  Symphonia Concertante instead, as I already have it but rarely listen to it.  Now.  Thanks MI.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Scots John on January 16, 2012, 01:54:53 PM
I was unsuccessful in obtaining Partisans in the Ukrainian Steppes quickly, so I'm listening to  Symphonia Concertante instead, as I already have it but rarely listen to it.  Now.  Thanks MI.

You're welcome, John. What performance are you listening to of Sinfonia Concertante? My favorite is Wallfisch/Jarvi on Chandos.

mahler10th

It sounds like this was made for Rosty.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Scots John on January 16, 2012, 02:39:09 PM
It sounds like this was made for Rosty.

I have this recording too and I wasn't too impressed with it. I mean I see the value in Rostropovich's performance, but the conducting from Sargent couldn't be more sluggish and uninvolved.

Mirror Image

John, you should really hear this recording...

[asin]B0009F66PE[/asin]

This may make you forget about the Rostropovich. It's a perfect collaboration of soloist/conductor. Such an astonishingly good performance.

mahler10th

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 16, 2012, 03:47:00 PM
John, you should really hear this recording...

[asin]B0009F66PE[/asin]

This may make you forget about the Rostropovich. It's a perfect collaboration of soloist/conductor. Such an astonishingly good performance.

I see you have posted this before, so I'll get it bought and report back soon!
Re: Current Top 10 Most-Played Recordings
« Reply #28 on: 21 October 2011, 04:46:31 »

A new list of "Current Top 10 Most-Played Recordings" in no particular order:

1. Prokofiev: On the Dnieper, Semyon Kotko Suite, Michail Jurowski, Cologne Radio Symphony Orch., CPO
2. Prokofiev: Sinfonia Concertante, Sinfonietta, Neeme Jarvi, Raphael Wallfisch - cello, Scottish National Orch., Chandos
3. Shostakovich, Prokofiev: Violin Concertos, Viktoria Mullova, Andre Previn, Royal Philharmonic Orch. Philips
4. Koechlin: Vocal Works with Orchestra, Juliane Banse, Heinz Holliger, Stuttgart Radio Symphony Orch., Hanssler Classics
5. Respighi: Belkis - Queen of Sheba, Geoffrey Simon, Philharmonic Orch., Chandos
6. Janacek: Glagolitic Mass, Sinfonietta, Michael Tilson Thomas, London Symphony Orch., Sony
7. Parry: Complete Symphonies, Matthias Bamert, London Philharmonic Orch., Chandos
8. Vaughan Williams: Job, A Masque for Dancing, Richard Hickox, Bournemouth Symphony Orch., EMI
9. Prokofiev: Piano Concertos 1-5, Vladimir Krainev, Dmitri Kitaenko, Frankfurt Radio Symphony Orch., Telarc
10. Bartok: The Wooden Prince, Cantata Profana, Pierre Boulez, Chicago Symphony Orch., Deutsche Grammophon

Mirror Image

Quote from: Scots John on January 16, 2012, 04:44:24 PM
I see you have posted this before, so I'll get it bought and report back soon!

Alright! You'll love it! This is the performance that made me appreciate Sinfonia Concertante. If I had listened to Rostropovich's performance first, I don't think I would have pursued this work any further.

eyeresist

I'm another who was disappointed by the Rostro EMI recording. I like Rudin on Naxos (which includes the other cello concertante works as well). The other one I've heard is Chang/Pappano on EMI; her glissandos were too gloopy for me, though Pappano's accompaniment was terrific.

Mirror Image

Quote from: eyeresist on January 20, 2012, 01:38:30 AM
I'm another who was disappointed by the Rostro EMI recording. I like Rudin on Naxos (which includes the other cello concertante works as well). The other one I've heard is Chang/Pappano on EMI; her glissandos were too gloopy for me, though Pappano's accompaniment was terrific.

You should hear Wallfisch/Jarvi. The best performance of Sinfonia Concertante I've heard.

Karl Henning

I like both the Ivashkin/Polyansky (my first) and the Navarra/Ančerl.  Honestly, from the Järvi/Prokofiev I have heard, I am skeptical that he could better either of these.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Quote from: karlhenning on January 20, 2012, 07:00:34 AM
I like both the Ivashkin/Polyansky (my first) and the Navarra/Ančerl.  Honestly, from the Järvi/Prokofiev I have heard, I am skeptical that he could better either of these.

Well those are your favorites, Karl. Not mine.