Prokofiev's Paddy Wagon

Started by Danny, April 07, 2007, 09:29:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Good morning, gents!

Greg, the lot go like this:

BSO, Erich Leinsdorf (from the box we spoke of)
LSO, Abbado
Moscow Radio Symphony, Rozhdestvensky
National ORTF, Martinon
Berliner Philharmoniker, Ozawa
SNO, Järvi
USSR TV & Radio Symphony, Rozhdestvensky

Of course, now I wonder if in fact it is not the same Rozhdestvensky recording, with the orchestra's name rendered differently . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: karlhenning on May 21, 2012, 05:30:35 AM
LSO, Abbado
National ORTF, Martinon
SNO, Järvi

Of course, now I wonder if in fact it is not the same Rozhdestvensky recording, with the orchestra's name rendered differently . . .

In that case, I'm not so jealous  ;)  You list Martinon...I forgot I had that (LP). So, I have eight Thirds.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: karlhenning on May 21, 2012, 05:30:35 AM
Good morning, gents!

Greg, the lot go like this:

LSO, Abbado
National ORTF, Martinon
SNO, Järvi

Of course, now I wonder if in fact it is not the same Rozhdestvensky recording, with the orchestra's name rendered differently . . . .

Thanks, Karl. Some on there I haven't heard, may need to correct that.
Happy C minor listening!

Karl Henning

Thanks!

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 21, 2012, 05:37:22 AM
In that case, I'm not so jealous  ;)  You list Martinon...I forgot I had that (LP). So, I have eight Thirds.

Quick comparison confirms that there is no occasion for jealousy, Sarge: it is indeed the same recording.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

not edward

Quote from: karlhenning on May 21, 2012, 06:42:55 AM
Thanks!

Quick comparison confirms that there is no occasion for jealousy, Sarge: it is indeed the same recording.
I've got two copies of that recording under different orchestral names as well. :-)
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Drasko

Moscow Radio Symphony and USSR TV & Radio Symphony are indeed one and the same orchestra. Rozhdestvensky though did record 3rd twice, the other recording is early 60s live performance with USSR State Symphony on Revelation (same on Yedang probably), and fine performance it is, in somewhat limited sound. 

TheGSMoeller

Just received my recording of On the Dnieper/Songs of our Day from Polyansky on Chandos, an interesting quote in the liner notes I wanted to share. It's from Prokofiev himself in an interview with the L.A. Evening Express in 1930...

"Music is getting simpler. I am moving in the direction of simple form, less complicated counterpoint, a more melodic style. All these I call 'a new simplicity'."

eyeresist

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on May 21, 2012, 02:21:26 PMJust received my recording of On the Dnieper/Songs of our Day from Polyansky on Chandos, an interesting quote in the liner notes I wanted to share. It's from Prokofiev himself in an interview with the L.A. Evening Express in 1930...

"Music is getting simpler. I am moving in the direction of simple form, less complicated counterpoint, a more melodic style. All these I call 'a new simplicity'."

Hmmm, so it wasn't just something he said for Soviet consumption. Though really, Prokofiev's "complicated counterpoint" period was quite brief - Symphony No. 2, The Steel Step, the last two piano concertos. The symphony concerto sounds complex to me, but that was quite late.

Just looking through the opus list - I wonder if anyone alive has heard Things in Themselves (after Immanuel Kant), two pieces for piano, from 1928?

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: eyeresist on May 21, 2012, 05:42:02 PM

Just looking through the opus list - I wonder if anyone alive has heard Things in Themselves (after Immanuel Kant), two pieces for piano, from 1928?

I've never heard them, but just bought them on iTunes, .99 cents a track, for a first listen. Thanks for mentioning it.   ;D

eyeresist

Sure thing. I hope they turn out to be awesome. Who's performing it?

not edward

Hmmm, so it wasn't just something he said for Soviet consumption. Though really, Prokofiev's "complicated counterpoint" period was quite brief - Symphony No. 2, The Steel Step, the last two piano concertos. The symphony concerto sounds complex to me, but that was quite late.
But it's based on the cello concerto, which was mostly written in the early 30s.

They're rather attractive works, in the somewhat Francophile vein of the two op 54 sonatinas. The closest parallel amongst remotely well-known Prokofiev might be to the 4th and 5th sonatas. I have Gyorgy Sandor's recording; as far as I know this does the works justice.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."

eyeresist

Quote from: edward on May 21, 2012, 06:53:24 PMBut it's based on the cello concerto, which was mostly written in the early 30s.

1933-38, according to the opus list, by which time he should have been well into his Soviet new simplicity.  But on reflection I'd say the symphony concerto is not overly complex in terms of polyphony - it just meanders on with little apparent structure so that it's hard to make sense of.

Mirror Image

Quote from: eyeresist on May 21, 2012, 08:30:46 PMit (Sinfonia Concertante) just meanders on with little apparent structure so that it's hard to make sense of.

Which I suppose could be apart of it's charm. I personally love the work and think very highly of it.

lescamil

Oleg Marshev and Boris Berman recorded these. Both are great readings of two nice miniatures. The style somewhat reminds me of what is heard in the 5th piano concerto.
Want to chat about classical music on IRC? Go to:

irc.psigenix.net
#concerthall

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,19772.0.html

-------------------------------------

Check out my YouTube page:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jre58591

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: eyeresist on May 21, 2012, 06:51:07 PM
Sure thing. I hope they turn out to be awesome. Who's performing it?

I just bought the Boris Berman performances, very nice work.

Karl Henning

Ah, the Choses-en-soi . . . haven't heard them yet, though I've know of them for an age . . . they are a chapter title in the Harlow Robinson bio.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

not edward

Karl Henning

Quote from: edward on May 22, 2012, 03:48:03 AM
Alexander Ivashkin on the Cello Concerto/Symphony-Concerto issues:

http://www.alexanderivashkin.com/08publications_three_oranges2009_prokofiev.html

A wonderful essay, thanks, Edward. Great timing, too, as I revisited the Overture on Hebrew Themes, twice, after a long absence just yesterday.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: edward on May 22, 2012, 03:48:03 AM
Alexander Ivashkin on the Cello Concerto/Symphony-Concerto issues:

http://www.alexanderivashkin.com/08publications_three_oranges2009_prokofiev.html

Great, thanks for sharing, Edward.
I enjoy the author's description of the piece as, "melodic fantasy and expression, and with a spirit of true independence", an accurate representation of a piece that I always found quite different and unique compared to Prokofiev's other compositions featuring soloist and orchestra.

Quote from: karlhenning on May 22, 2012, 04:07:07 AM

A wonderful essay, thanks, Edward. Great timing, too, as I revisited the Overture on Hebrew Themes, twice, after a long absence just yesterday.

That's quite a melody right there, Karl.

Karl Henning

Quote from: edward on May 21, 2012, 06:53:24 PM
They're rather attractive works, in the somewhat Francophile vein of the two op 54 sonatinas.

The other day as I was tweaking the folders of my sound-file library, I was struck anew by this sequence:

Piano Concerto № 4, Op.53
Sonatinas, Op.54
Piano Concerto № 5, Op.55
Sonata for Two Violins, Op.56
Symphonic Song, Op.57
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA