Prokofiev's Paddy Wagon

Started by Danny, April 07, 2007, 09:29:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

71 dB

Romeo and Juliet made me an great impression when I bought it in December 2005 (Maazel)

I haven't heard much Prokofiev but he is definitely one to explore. He has a bit Elgarian qualities in his music. I guess his symphonies are good.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: 71 dB on April 15, 2007, 02:55:43 PM

I haven't heard much Prokofiev but he is definitely one to explore. He has a bit Elgarian qualities in his music.

No he doesn't. Stop it already will you ? Not every great composer has an Elgarian quality, especially Prokofiev. Prokofiev's music is about simplicity, wit, clarity, and unrelenting drive and rhythm. His music is angular and provacative. Whatever merits might be in Elgar's music, none of them are in Prokofiev's.

Catison

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on April 15, 2007, 03:25:51 PM
No he doesn't. Stop it already will you ? Not every great composer has an Elgarian quality, especially Prokofiev. Prokofiev's music is about simplicity, wit, clarity, and unrelenting drive and rhythm. His music is angular and provacative. Whatever merits might be in Elgar's music, none of them are in Prokofiev's.

What he said...
-Brett

scottscheule

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on April 15, 2007, 03:25:51 PM

Can't say I've ever made the connection either.  Were you thinking of something in particular?

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Catison on April 15, 2007, 03:48:24 PM
What he said...

Quote from: scottscheule on April 15, 2007, 04:37:36 PM
Can't say I've ever made the connection either.  Were you thinking of something in particular?

I'm gonna chime in with you guys. ;D

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

karlhenning

"Single greatest Prokofiev work" would be a futile exercise, of course.

But some days, that's just how I feel about the F Minor Violin Sonata. And I can't fight this feeling anymore . . . .

greg

Quote from: karlhenning on April 16, 2007, 12:58:19 PM

But some days, that's just how I feel about the F Minor Violin Sonata. And I can't fight this feeling anymore . . . .
uh-oh! Karl is going to surrender to saying that he has a favorite!  :o
no way, i never thought he had a favorite anything.......
now hell's gonna freeze over! it's the apocalypse!

0:) 0:) 0:) 0:) 0:) 0:)
>:D >:D >:D >:D >:D

Lady Chatterley

Quote from: greg on April 17, 2007, 08:06:42 AM
uh-oh! Karl is going to surrender to saying that he has a favorite!  :o
no way, i never thought he had a favorite anything.......
now hell's gonna freeze over! it's the apocalypse!

0:) 0:) 0:) 0:) 0:) 0:)
>:D >:D >:D >:D >:D

Well he did feel under the weather,perhaps it was fever?

Harry

Quote from: karlhenning on April 16, 2007, 12:58:19 PM

I agree with this one. :)

karlhenning

Quote from: greg on April 17, 2007, 08:06:42 AM
it's the apocalypse!

Thank goodness for Standard Disclaimers  0:)

Danny

Call me crazy, but I love the D Major Violin Sonata more.  I just love that piece..................but both are sublime.

greg

Quote from: Danny on April 17, 2007, 10:11:44 AM
Call me crazy, but I love the D Major Violin Sonata more.  I just love that piece..................but both are sublime.
i guess it's cuz you're the only non-gothic here then  >:D  ;)

Danny

Quote from: greg on April 18, 2007, 08:36:47 AM
i guess it's cuz you're the only non-gothic here then  >:D  ;)

Run...........................its the debil! :P

greg

Quote from: Danny on April 18, 2007, 09:36:53 AM
Run...........................its the debil! :P
in that case, no need to run since he'll already be weak enough to knock out with a single blow  ;)

karlhenning

Danny, I don't think it is at all crazy to prefer the D Major Sonata  0:)

greg

Quote from: karlhenning on April 18, 2007, 11:22:12 AM
me neither, and i was just kidding about the gothic thing  ;D
but still the F Minor Sonata does have a sort of dark charm to it- they did play it at his funeral. Maybe they should've played it at Stalin's, too- wait........

what did they actually play at Stalin's funeral? They shoulda played something like Joy to the World, the 2nd movement of Shostakovich's 10th, or maybe Peter and the Wolf. That last one would be completely bizarre.

Danny

Quote from: karlhenning on April 18, 2007, 11:22:12 AM

Amen to that!  Its one of my favorite pieces by any composer.   0:)   0:)   0:)

Danny

Quote from: greg on April 19, 2007, 05:24:48 AM
me neither, and i was just kidding about the gothic thing  ;D
but still the F Minor Sonata does have a sort of dark charm to it- they did play it at his funeral. Maybe they should've played it at Stalin's, too- wait........

what did they actually play at Stalin's funeral? They shoulda played something like Joy to the World, the 2nd movement of Shostakovich's 10th, or maybe Peter and the Wolf. That last one would be completely bizarre.

I hear the second movement to Shosty's Tenth was supposed to represent Stalinism. 

greg

Quote from: Danny on April 19, 2007, 10:33:58 AM
I hear the second movement to Shosty's Tenth was supposed to represent Stalinism. 
exactly, that's why i mentioned it  ;)

karlhenning

That's what Volkov said . . . and (surprise, surprise) that remark has gotten a lot of play.

I have a hard time believing that the brilliant, blistering second movement is, simply, "a portrait of Stalin."

For only one thing, how does the movement end?  With a triumphant major chord.  What does that mean?  The triumph of Stalin?  Oh. maybe not, maybe not . . .