Yikes! Yoshimatsu!

Started by gomro, May 12, 2007, 02:39:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

André

Quote from: vers la flamme on March 02, 2022, 02:30:41 PM
I only know the Threnody to Toki, op.12, but holy shit, it's killer. Must hear more from this composer ASAP.

Any recommendations?

Listen/buy whatever symphonies and concertos recorded on Chandos. Absolutely superb stuff !

vandermolen

Quote from: André on March 02, 2022, 04:41:08 PM
Listen/buy whatever symphonies and concertos recorded on Chandos. Absolutely superb stuff !
+1 especially symphonies 1-3.

I started with this CD which made a big impression on me:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

kyjo

Quote from: vers la flamme on March 02, 2022, 02:30:41 PM
I only know the Threnody to Toki, op.12, but holy shit, it's killer. Must hear more from this composer ASAP.

Any recommendations?

Must admit I haven't heard Threnody to Toki! I highly recommend his Symphonies 2 and 3 - colorful, energetic, rhythmic, and accessible works that even employ some cool avant-garde effects from time to time. His style can occasionally verge on the "banal", but I think in these two works he manages to avoid that flaw.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

vers la flamme

Just bought the disc Jeffrey pictured. Excited to hear more from this composer, his music seems quite unique.

vandermolen

Quote from: vers la flamme on March 04, 2022, 06:02:26 AM
Just bought the disc Jeffrey pictured. Excited to hear more from this composer, his music seems quite unique.
Hope you enjoy it. It duplicates 'Threnody to Toki' but the 2nd Symphony is very good. It's a while since I heard it but I recall that it has a beautiful slow movement. His music does sound a bit 'Mike Oldfield' at times but that is not a problem for me.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

lordlance

The finale of the Third Symphony is so much fun to listen to!

Something to dance to.
If you are interested in listening to orchestrations of solo/chamber music, you might be interested in this thread.
Also looking for recommendations on neglected conductors thread.

kyjo

Quote from: lordlance on July 11, 2023, 09:35:27 PMThe finale of the Third Symphony is so much fun to listen to!

Something to dance to.

Indeed it is! You'll find that the finale of the 2nd Symphony is suspiciously similar... ;)
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff