Yikes! Yoshimatsu!

Started by gomro, May 12, 2007, 02:39:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guido

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 08, 2011, 08:03:03 AM
Right now, Yoshimatsu's music just bores the living hell out of me. One of the reasons could be that I don't find his harmonic language all that interesting. There isn't much tension in the music.

Oh well, I can't like everything...

Wow, your dispositions are flitting and capricious!
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

Mirror Image

Quote from: Guido on October 09, 2011, 01:39:24 AM
Wow, your dispositions are flitting and capricious!

Well as I explained to another member, it could very well be the mood I was in when I was listening to his music. I really liked the first movement of his Piano Concerto "Memo Mora" but I just found the rest of the work uninteresting.

springrite

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 09, 2011, 07:41:15 AM
Well as I explained to another member, it could very well be the mood I was in when I was listening to his music.

Some mood swings can be very expensive!

Next time when you get interested in a new discovery, don't buy so much so fast. Take a little time. They are not selling like hotcakes, I assure you. They will still be there next month.

Not every discovery is a Koechlin.  ;)
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Mirror Image

Quote from: springrite on October 09, 2011, 07:47:05 AM
Some mood swings can be very expensive!

Next time when you get interested in a new discovery, don't buy so much so fast. Take a little time. They are not selling like hotcakes, I assure you. They will still be there next month.

Not every discovery is a Koechlin.  ;)

Yes, that's so true, Paul. I need to take more time with what I have before moving onto to something completely new. No, not every discovery can be a Koechlin. :) Good point.

The new erato

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 09, 2011, 08:08:31 AM
Yes, that's so true, Paul. I need to take more time with what I have before moving onto to something completely new. No, not every discovery can be a Koechlin. :) Good point.
I promise never to mention an unknown composer in your presence again. :P

BTW Currently playing Hilding Rosenberg's Orpheus on the Town. Marvelous ballet music from 1938!

Mirror Image

Quote from: The new erato on October 09, 2011, 08:11:54 AM
I promise never to mention an unknown composer in your presence again. :P

BTW Currently playing Hilding Rosenberg's Orpheus on the Town. Marvelous ballet music from 1938!

I've heard of Rosenberg, so he's not unknown to me. ;)

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 06, 2011, 06:22:13 PM
What do you think about his other symphonies, Jeffrey?

All very listenable - as far as I can recall John - I enjoyed the Symphony No 3 with the Saxophone Concerto, in particular - but it is 1 and 2 which really stand out for me.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on October 09, 2011, 02:57:02 PM
All very listenable - as far as I can recall John - I enjoyed the Symphony No 3 with the Saxophone Concerto, in particular - but it is 1 and 2 which really stand out for me.

Yes, the Symphony No. 2 was good indeed. That slow movement was beautiful.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 09, 2011, 05:50:53 PM
Yes, the Symphony No. 2 was good indeed. That slow movement was beautiful.

Been listening to Symphony No. 3 recently. The last movement is very 'catchy' and would be great in live concert, not that I am ever likely to hear it live. His music reminds me a bit of Mike Oldfield. It can be a bit kitschy at times but, on the whole, I derive a lot of pleasure from it.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on April 10, 2015, 12:40:39 PM
Been listening to Symphony No. 3 recently. The last movement is very 'catchy' and would be great in live concert, not that I am ever likely to hear it live. His music reminds me a bit of Mike Oldfield. It can be a bit kitschy at times but, on the whole, I derive a lot of pleasure from it.

I haven't listened to any Yoshimatsu in awhile, but I don't think I would have as favorable of an impression now of his music as I did four years ago. Things certainly change!

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 10, 2015, 06:46:07 PM
I haven't listened to any Yoshimatsu in awhile, but I don't think I would have as favorable of an impression now of his music as I did four years ago. Things certainly change!
I remember John that you were initially enthusiastic about the music and then not so enthusiastic  8)
It has a kind of instant appeal which can wear off I guess - but I still enjoy those first three symphonies and some of the quieter and more poetic scores.

Green Destiny

I cant get enough of the Symphony No. 1 (Kamui-Chikap Symphony).
I too find Yoshimatsu a bit tacky and new-agey but I cant help but love his music :D.
I collected all the Chandos recordings a couple of years back - I haven't really gotten into his other symphonies yet so I need to give him some attention in future.

vandermolen

Quote from: Conor71 on April 10, 2015, 10:05:13 PM
I cant get enough of the Symphony No. 1 (Kamui-Chikap Symphony).
I too find Yoshimatsu a bit tacky and new-agey but I cant help but love his music :D.
I collected all the Chandos recordings a couple of years back - I haven't really gotten into his other symphonies yet so I need to give him some attention in future.
I totally agree with you! I also like the Kamui-Chikap Symphony. Perhaps my personal favourite is Symphony 2, especially the beautiful slow movement. I'd be interested to hear your views on it. The last movement of No. 3 is great fun and would go down very well at the Proms, although this is wishful thinking!

Green Destiny

Quote from: vandermolen on April 10, 2015, 10:28:50 PM
I totally agree with you! I also like the Kamui-Chikap Symphony. Perhaps my personal favourite is Symphony 2, especially the beautiful slow movement. I'd be interested to hear your views on it. The last movement of No. 3 is great fun and would go down very well at the Proms, although this is wishful thinking!

Cool stuff Vandermolen - I will try and listen to Symphony No. 2 soon and report back. You are making me want to listen to Symphony No. 3 as well! :)

vandermolen

Quote from: Conor71 on April 10, 2015, 10:56:54 PM
Cool stuff Vandermolen - I will try and listen to Symphony No. 2 soon and report back. You are making me want to listen to Symphony No. 3 as well! :)

Oh yes, you must listen to both  8)

You won't get the last movement of No.3 out of your head for a while - it is great fun.

SymphonicAddict

Almost four years from the last post! Am enjoying at the moment the Symphony No. 2 and the Cello concerto. Both works portray singular beauty, cosmic and old figurations, without a lack of some good qualities: thought-provoking, fresh, modern, exotic, good assignated to the instruments. The coolest is the engaging orchestration, it knows how to catch you with its lovely melodies, marimba-vibraphone effects, minimalistic flavour (if you are receptive, of course).

vandermolen

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on February 19, 2019, 01:43:24 PM
Almost four years from the last post! Am enjoying at the moment the Symphony No. 2 and the Cello concerto. Both works portray singular beauty, cosmic and old figurations, without a lack of some good qualities: thought-provoking, fresh, modern, exotic, good assignated to the instruments. The coolest is the engaging orchestration, it knows how to catch you with its lovely melodies, marimba-vibraphone effects, minimalistic flavour (if you are receptive, of course).
A nice analysis Cesar. Do you know Symphony 1 and 3 which I also enjoy?

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: vandermolen on February 20, 2019, 05:07:44 AM
A nice analysis Cesar. Do you know Symphony 1 and 3 which I also enjoy?

Thanks, Jeffrey. That day I was a bit "eloquent"  :D

Yes, I have the majority of his recordings, including those symphonies, and I have very good memories of them. He's a very cool composer, I really enjoy his style, sometimes carefree, sometimes solemn. He's one of my favorite living composers.

vandermolen

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on February 21, 2019, 03:50:31 PM
Thanks, Jeffrey. That day I was a bit "eloquent"  :D

Yes, I have the majority of his recordings, including those symphonies, and I have very good memories of them. He's a very cool composer, I really enjoy his style, sometimes carefree, sometimes solemn. He's one of my favorite living composers.

Mine too Cesar - thanks  :)

vers la flamme

I only know the Threnody to Toki, op.12, but holy shit, it's killer. Must hear more from this composer ASAP.

Any recommendations?