Remember his creation?

Started by uffeviking, May 12, 2007, 06:55:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uffeviking

npwilkinson
  Great opera photos
« on: May 11, 2006, 06:22:02 AM » Quote Modify Remove Split Topic 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Can we have a thread of intriguing opera pics? I'll start...

I remember, retrieved from the past and give you two new ones:

uffeviking

The other one:

uffeviking

Sorry, got it turned around, but you'll figure it out!  ;)

knight66

We will figure it out....now in this game, I used to give a real guess and a stupid answer...I had about the same success rate with each.

So here goes, Pickie 1 Either Macbeth or The Merry Widow.

No 2....Il ritorno d'Ulisse in patria or Magic Flute.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

uffeviking

Since you, Knight, have been the only one to bother with an answer, I give you a hint - but only for you! - No. 1 is a Richard Wagner, No. 2 a Thomas Adès.

Good Luck!  ;)

knight66

Could 1 be Walkure and 2 be The Tempest?

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Wendell_E

#1 is The Tempest.  #2 Parsifal perhaps?

Oops.  Just saw the hint was only for Knight.  Sorry.  Hmmm. But you did reverse the #s on the hints, right?

uffeviking

Step up on the winner's podium, Knight! You got it. No. 1 was diffcult, No. 2 very easy because Adès only wrote two operas I know of, maybe more, you tell me.

Walküre is a Lisbon production where the director, Graham Vick, covered practically all of the stall seats and made it into a stage, placing the audience in boxes and rear edge of the stage.  ::)

uffeviking

Quote from: Wendell_E on May 14, 2007, 11:10:24 AM
  #2 Parsifal perhaps?

It was only a tease, the giving of hints, because the thread remained unanswered for so long. Your guess of Parsifal was very logical; that's what I thought when I first saw the picture. So the director makes it a long table instead of round one, anything is possible nowadays!  ::)

Maciek

Carry on, Lis. I always enjoyed lurking on this thread.

uffeviking

Honey, this thread's not for lurking - it's for guessing, inputting, commenting, discussing! Get it?  ???

But I do appreciate your comment!  :-*

Maciek

I assure you, Lis, lurking is where the true fun of this thread lies... ;D

uffeviking

Another month, another issue of Opera with interesting pictures for you to guess what!

One opera is by an American composer, the other by a German, that's all I am going to help!  >:D

uffeviking

Some day, some body will teach me how to put two pictures in the same post!  ::)

Wendell_E

Quote from: uffeviking on June 02, 2007, 06:32:02 PM
Some day, some body will teach me how to put two pictures in the same post!  ::)

Click on the "more attachments" link.  As it says, you are limited to 500 KB per posts, and 4 attachments.

Could the first one be Previn's A Steetcar Named Desire?

uffeviking

Oh, I never saw, or looked for, the word 'more' in front of 'attachments'! You are so helpful; thank you, Dear Wendell.  :-*

But for the second part of your post: It could not and it isn't!  ;D

Maciek

I didn't even know American composers composed operas... :o

Oh, wait, I just remembered!

It must be Candide and Cunegonde in their sweet Westphalian home!

I didn't know Barber of Seville was a German opera though... ::)

uffeviking

Nice try, Maciek, but wrong of course. You knew that when you typed your funnies!

I feel generous: The two composers are Bernstein and Wagner.  ;)

jochanaan

#1 must be Trouble in Tahiti, but you've got me with that second pic; I cannot think of any Wagner opera that would stoop so low as to call for an upright piano on stage! :o Although I can well imagine Herr Richard would have loved the younger, uh, singer's pose... ;D
Imagination + discipline = creativity

uffeviking

Also a nice try, John, but you got it turned around! The piano belongs to the Bernstein work, which leaves the other, easier to guess. One more try?  ???