Schubert String Quintet in C Major, D. 956

Started by samuel, August 01, 2008, 03:05:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drasko

Quote from: Mandryka on July 11, 2014, 11:05:25 AM
You absolutely must here Maderna's recording. I can upload it for you if you don't know it.

Yes, please.

mahler10th

I would listen to the String Quintet in C major D. 956 before the Piano "Trout" Quintet in A major, D. 667 every time.  The Trout is so popular, I fear that Schuberts oeuvre may be itself mistaken for a freshwater fish.   :-[

Continuo

Quote from: Mandryka on April 04, 2014, 11:46:48 PM
It never left LP commercially. I can let you have a FLAC transfer of the LP if you want. It is good.

Hi Mandryka,
Still have that FLAC? Might I get a copy of that?

Thanks for your consideration.

Herman

So this topic made me go to the basement and try to find a 956  -  I should have a whole bunch.

Reading the previous posts I do get a sense that Schubert has long suffered the same fate as Brahms: his best music has been read as a mix of deep autumnal melancholy and Wienerisch jollity.

Whereas with both composers their late, autumnal works are full of violent rage.

Mandryka

Quote from: Herman on December 26, 2019, 02:21:26 AM
So this topic made me go to the basement and try to find a 956  -  I should have a whole bunch.

Reading the previous posts I do get a sense that Schubert has long suffered the same fate as Brahms: his best music has been read as a mix of deep autumnal melancholy and Wienerisch jollity.

Whereas with both composers their late, autumnal works are full of violent rage.

Have you heard this one, Taneyev Quartet and Rostropovich?

https://www.youtube.com/v/nkNNU3uhtG8

Steve Emerson (I think it was him) made a good transfer, and I think that there's one on DG. It would be good if Tetzlaff and friends get round to it.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Herman

I'm not familiar with that one, and I'm really not a big fan of Rostropovich's way, and overall of the way Soviet musicians did the Viennese classics.

Mandryka

Quote from: Herman on December 26, 2019, 03:03:23 AM
I'm not familiar with that one, and I'm really not a big fan of Rostropovich's way, and overall of the way Soviet musicians did the Viennese classics.

Be that as it may, it is nonetheless full of violent rage!
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

vers la flamme

Thoughts on the Pavel Haas Quartet + Danjulo Ishizaka recording? I got it recently. In light of recent discussion, I think it errs more on the violent side than what I was accustomed to in this great work. But then I've never thought of this as a work of "deep autumnal melancholy", not like the D960 sonata, for instance. It's more epic, driven, and passionate.

Definitely one of Schubert's greatest works...

aukhawk

On the previous page of this thread, amw mentioned that he might put up a blind comparison.
That actually happened here on GMG, he did a great job, and the Pavel Haas Quartet came a close 2nd overall, out of 32 runners and riders - not bad!  I remember particularly liking their romantic take on the slow 2nd movement, which for me is the heart of the whole thing.
http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,23409.0.html

The BBC have published a list of most-requested music on their iconic Desert Island Discs over many years (from 1942 to 2011) - and Schubert's String Quintet holds 3rd place on that list.

Irons

Quote from: Mandryka on December 26, 2019, 02:48:28 AM
Have you heard this one, Taneyev Quartet and Rostropovich?

https://www.youtube.com/v/nkNNU3uhtG8

Tully Potter, the music critic wrote this as being the greatest Schubert's Quintet recording ever. A view I am inclined to agree with as not heard a better performance.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Brian

My only quarrel with the PHQ/Ishizaka is the rather boomy acoustic which adds some unneeded reverb. You get an idea for how forceful the players are to produce that much reverb, anyway. PHQ/Ishizaka live at Wigmore Hall in 2011 was actually the first time I ever heard this quintet (live or not), and that was one of the great concerts of my life.

Brian

New Naxos recording with a lineup of Israeli musicians (Aviv Quartet with Amit Peled) is really pretty good. Moderately paced - the finale strikes me as a touch slow and stiff, the only real weakness - but a super-refined, beautiful ensemble sound from all five players. No real eccentricities. Perhaps not the bleeding edge of existential pain that you get in the best and most personal versions, but on first listen, I quite liked it. Well, especially the first three movements.

Will definitely listen again. Seems like a solid B and the kind of thing that would do well in blind listening games because, even if the whole isn't inspired, the parts are mostly very "correct" and "proper", and the playing is uncontestably very good.

Bhava

Dear Friends:

I got lately introduced to Schubert music & I am so fond of his chamber works / symphonies.

I came to know that the String Quintet in C Major, D. 956 was the last work composed by Schubert.

I like to get some good recordings for this and start listening with them. So far, I have got two recordings,
one featuring Arthur Grumiaux and the other with Wieland Kuijken. I feel that there may be some other
good recordings for this great work. Your suggestions (modern or HIP) are both welcome.

Thanks a lot!

Best wishes
Bhava

Bhava

Quote from: LKB on June 12, 2022, 04:35:23 AM
I've always enjoyed:

https://www.amazon.com/Schoenberg-Verkl%C3%A4rte-Schubert-String-Quintet/dp/B000003XID/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=3IB9MC24ET43L&keywords=hollywood+string+quartet&qid=1655037218&sprefix=Hollywood+string+%2Caps%2C223&sr=8-3

A wonderful disc.  8)

Testament Label usually releases MONO recordings.. I checked and found that it was in Mono..

I hope some friends here will recommend some nice Stereo recordings.. Thanks a lot!

Brian

We once had a blind listening game here where amw organized groups to sample something like 24 or 32 different recordings, vote forward their favorites, and then eventually everyone listened to the final 4 to decide the champion. Of course nobody knew who the performers were until the end. Here were the results: the top recordings as judged blind featured the Arcanto, Pavel Haas, and Petersen Quartets. All stereo. I remember the Petersen being my own favorite; the PHQ is great but in reverberant sound.

Other generally accepted stereo classics include Emerson + Rostropovich, Raphael Ensemble, and the darker, more tragic Leipzig Quartet.

DavidW

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

SonicMan46

Bhava - already been mentioned and/or shown but the 2 versions in my collection are shown below - the Emerson String Quartet can be bought separately w/ Rostropovich added for the Quintet, or in a package w/ the String Quartets which you likely will want to own also - plenty of options for all of these Schubert chamber pieces.  Dave :)

staxomega

Welcome to GMG. You'll be able to find a thread dedicated to most major works already. It benefits not only the community to keep discussion contained in them (ie you can bump the thread / reply to them) for a single resource but also yourself as you'll often see pages of suggestions from people that are no longer active or people that don't care to repeat themself.

https://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,8640.0.html