Schubert String Quintet in C Major, D. 956

Started by samuel, August 01, 2008, 03:05:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

samuel

I've always considered this sublime work to be Schubert's crowning achievement. I'm just wondering, what recordings do you guys like???

Opus106

I have only one. It is part of the eight-CD set from DG. (but it can also purchased as a single CD)
Emerson SQ w/ Rostropovich. I love what I have, though
Regards,
Navneeth

Moldyoldie

I've heard and loved several, but the one that really "sends" me is by The Lindsay Quartet + Douglas Cummings. 0:)  Intonation and ensemble aren't exemplary, but....
"I think the problem with technology is that people use it because it's around.  That is disgusting and stupid!  Please quote me."
- Steve Reich

Daverz

ChamberNut

Quote from: opus67 on August 01, 2008, 03:07:16 AM
Emerson SQ w/ Rostropovich.

I also have this one.  One of my favorite and most listened to CDs.  Love it!  :)

dirkronk

I have several on CD:
- Casals & colleagues at the Prades Festival on Sony
- Starker w/ Kim, Nikkanin, Johnson & Bailey on Delos
- Hollywood SQ on Testament
- Hungarian SQ+ Varga on EMI

The Casals and the Hollywood are the ones I play most often. Neither is new in terms of recording, but both are gorgeous and utterly captivating IMO. The Casals is a bit "gutsier" in presentation and the Hollywood a bit more refined, but I wouldn't want to do without either. In fact, I had both on LP long before I purchased their CD transfers...and I still keep the vinyl today.
Whatever other newer versions you may end up with, I'd urge you to at least listen to one of these.

Cheers,

Dirk

samuel

the only recording i currently own is the abq/schiff from the early 80s, which i love, but since i love this work so much i wanted to check out one or two more recordings. dirkronk, is the hollywood the one that comes with schoenberg's verklarte nacht? this recording seems very intriguing since i'm curious to hear verklarte nacht played by a chamber ensemble since my only recording of it is the orchestral version.

Opus106

Quote from: Samuel on August 01, 2008, 08:01:45 AM
i'm curious to hear verklarte nacht played by a chamber ensemble since my only recording of it is the orchestral version.

I too want to get a chamber version of the Verklarte Nacht, but till then, I listen to the one here.
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=shoenberg+string+sextet+oxy151268&search_type=&aq=f
Regards,
Navneeth

not edward

the only recording i currently own is the abq/schiff from the early 80s, which i love, but since i love this work so much i wanted to check out one or two more recordings. dirkronk, is the hollywood the one that comes with schoenberg's verklarte nacht? this recording seems very intriguing since i'm curious to hear verklarte nacht played by a chamber ensemble since my only recording of it is the orchestral version.
It is. Both performances are pretty close to self-recommending as far as I am concerned.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Holden

This recording is also my recommendation and the Verklate Nacht is truely beautiful in chamber form.
Cheers

Holden

Que

It's HIP and it's absolutely great:

My second favourite happens to be HIP as well:

Q

dirkronk

Quote from: Holden on August 01, 2008, 02:04:13 PM
This recording is also my recommendation and the Verklate Nacht is truely beautiful in chamber form.

Samuel, listen to edward and Holden (and me): get the Hollywood disc. Both pieces are fabulous. In fact, I have the Verklarte Nacht in two other chamber renditions, and the Hollywood Qt. is still my favorite in that piece, as well.

Cheers,

Dirk

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Que on August 01, 2008, 02:12:11 PM
It's HIP and it's absolutely great:

Q

I have several versions, but 2 that I listen far more often than any of the others. This one that Q rec's is my favorite, hands down. The sound of the instruments is just chillingly wonderful. The other, on modern instruments, has also been mentioned, although my disk is the single, not the set. That would be the Emersons and Rostro on DG. Although it lacks the wonderful sonorities of the gutty Strads, the playing is exceptional, and IMO they hit all the tempi just right. So my requisites are satisfied, one great modern performance, one great HIP one. :)

8)

----------------
Listening to:
Orchestre de Chambre Salieri (Tamas Pal) - Vanhal, Jan Krtitel (1739-1813) - Vanhal Symphony in F 2nd mvmt - Andante cantabile
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

val

To me the great versions are the Weller Quartet with Gurtler, perhaps the most natural and with a sublime phrasing, and the more dramatic and tense version of the Juilliard with Greenhouse (one of the most inspired recordings ever made by the Juilliard).

The Amadeus with Pleeth would be in third place.

mozartsneighbor

The 2 I listen to most often have already been recommended:
-- The Hollywood Qt., which does indeed come with a great Verklarte Nacht
-- and the Lindsay Qt., also very good

Bunny

I find myself listening to the Alban Berg Quartet/Heinrich Schiff recording when I want modern instruments.

mjwal

The Casals and the Hollywood, OK, the former (my second after a cheap Saga LP that wasn't bad)  more moving, the latter more beautiful and refined. I do like the Villa Musica performance on Naxos too, sharper, better sound as well - one of the Naxos dark horses. Then a more recent rich recording for wallowing in I have Stern, Ma & co on Sony. Also on Sony was a Marlboro Festival recording with Pamela Frank, Felix Galimir etc, magnificent.
The Violin's Obstinacy

It needs to return to this one note,
not a tune and not a key
but the sound of self it must depart from,
a journey lengthily to go
in a vein it knows will cripple it.
Peter Porter

ChamberNut

Bump!  There should be at least 50 pages on posts on this thread!  0:)

snyprrr

ok, so someone tell me, please...

I had "heard" that late Schubert was the way to go, but I must have been confused, because I went for the SQs and was bewildered by everyone's praise of the "heavenly length," and the yadayada...

so, then of course I realize that it's the Quintet everyone talking about...so,then... it's the real deal? Is it exactly what I envision it to be: impossibly beautiful melody undulating for an hour? It's a quantum leap from D887?