Letter from Tanglewood (Elliott Carter)

Started by Joe Barron, July 22, 2008, 07:10:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.Z. Herrenberg

As Wallace Stevens said in Notes toward a Supreme Fiction: It Must Be Abstract

Now I know why.

Edit: Which was my 'amusing' take on "I realize this might have been a great week for music and ideas, but it was lousy for phsycial objects. First the bike, then the car, then that damned camera."
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Joe Barron

Many of the concerts were filmed, I'm told, and they may be seen here.

I haven't watched them, since I've  been home only a day, and I'm still recuperating.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Wendell_E

Quote from: Jezetha on July 26, 2008, 04:28:58 AM
Thanks for this link!

Yes, and for all the posts on the festival. 

Oooh.  I knew that the performance of What Next? from 2006 had been filmed, but I didn't realise they had a DVD of it for sale.  Sold!
"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ― Mark Twain

Joe Barron

I don't understand this board. I did a spell check on very post, and they're still full of errors.

bhodges

OMG, Joe, thanks for posting that link!  I probably would have never known they had made these performances available.  Right now listening to Call.  Just checked the menu and will have to check out the Variations for Orchestra next--how totally great that they filmed these.

--Bruce

Joe Barron

Quote from: bhodges on July 27, 2008, 06:39:41 PM
OMG, Joe, thanks for posting that link!  I probably would have never known they had made these performances available.  Right now listening to Call.  Just checked the menu and will have to check out the Variations for Orchestra next--how totally great that they filmed these.--Bruce

Yeah, now I wonder why I bothered going.  :(

bhodges

Quote from: Joe Barron on July 27, 2008, 06:46:13 PM
Yeah, now I wonder why I bothered going.  :(

;D 

Nyah...although the sound is excellent, I'm sure it was much better in person.  And the video isn't all that great.  (The audio is fine.)  I'm listening to the Variations now and it looks like an incredible performance.

--Bruce

karlhenning

Joe Barron

Guido

Thankyou Joe! Now, there must be some way of extracting the audio from online videos...
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Guido on August 01, 2008, 11:29:35 AM
Thankyou Joe! Now, there must be some way of extracting the audio from online videos...

Is there any way to download both audio and video to burn a DVD?
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

Guido

Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

Joe Barron

Since returning from Massachusetts I have wanted to do two things: read more poetry and brush up on my French. The poetry because Carter has written many great songs using the work of great poets: Ashbery, Bishop, Stevens, Lowell and Dickinson. He is now working on a new song cycle on Pound's Pisan Cantos. I have read some poetry, but certainly not as much as Mr. Carter has. My problem is I don't understand much of it. It requires slow reading and many rereadings, and I don't have the patience to linger over a single page for an hour trying to absorb meaning. And when I do, I'm usually unsuccessful, anyway. In any event, though, over the past couple of weeks I've been reading the comp[lete poems of Kennth Fearing, and I've memorized Fearing's poem Pay-off.

It is well known that Carter speaks French fluently, but my desire to study the language has nothing to do with that. It comes from a little French Candadian girl who annoyed the hell out of me at the Lenox library. (YOu hear a lot of French in western Massachusetts.) She was sitting between me and her mother at the computer station while I was trying to post on this board, and she got into some kind of quarrel with her little sister, who was standing behind her and was also being antsy. She swiveled her chair petulantly, and the back of the chair kept hitting me in the elbow. I wanted to turn to her and say, "Arrete! Sois calme. Je ne peut pas taper quand tu ce fais."   Or something like that. In the event, all I could say was "Please!" Her mother got the message and said something to her that quieted her down. But the kid still gave me the dirtiest look.

karlhenning

Quote from: Joe Barron on August 03, 2008, 08:59:33 AM
. . . But the kid still gave me the dirtiest look.

No obstacle to comprehension there, Joe . . . .

Al Moritz

Joe, thank you very much for your vivid concert reports. I enjoyed them all immensely.