Lesser known Czecho-Slovak composers

Started by vandermolen, August 03, 2008, 04:40:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

This thread is really just an excuse for me to express my enthusiasm for the music of V Novak and J Suk. Novak's "The Storm" is, to my mind, one of the greatest choral works of the 20th Century (infact of all time). A sublime masterpiece which, after epic tribulations arrives at a majestic and unforgettable catharsis. There are a couple of Supraphon recordings but we badly need a new recording (Chandos?). Suk's Asrael is another favourite and a relatively new discovery is Alexander Moyzes (1906-1984) 7th Symphony; apparently his masterpiece, written in memory of his daughter who died tragically young (it is on the Marco Polo label).
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Dundonnell

We also need to hear more of Novak's later music-in particular the Autumn Symphony and the May Symphony which Supraphon have inexplicably never recorded.

All of Moyzes symphonies are interesting and rewarding pieces.

See also-http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,3675.0.html

val

Quotevandermolen

This thread is really just an excuse for me to express my enthusiasm for the music of V Novak and J Suk. Novak's "The Storm" is, to my mind, one of the greatest choral works of the 20th Century (infact of all time). A sublime masterpiece which, after epic tribulations arrives at a majestic and unforgettable catharsis.

I agree. The Storm is a masterpiece. I only heard a small number of Novak's works, but there is another great masterpiece, the 2nd string Quartet, composed in 1905. To me, this splendid work is even superior to Janacek's Quartets.
There is a great version by the Janacek Quartet.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Josef Suk lover here - the 'Asrael' Symphony, of course, and the early Serenade, and Summer Tale, an orchestral masterpiece, full of passion and colour (Mackerras is excellent).
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

vandermolen

Quote from: val on August 04, 2008, 01:25:14 AM

I agree. The Storm is a masterpiece. I only heard a small number of Novak's works, but there is another great masterpiece, the 2nd string Quartet, composed in 1905. To me, this splendid work is even superior to Janacek's Quartets.
There is a great version by the Janacek Quartet.

Thanks very much. I've just ordered a copy of this CD.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Biffo

I can't find the discussion of Kabelac's Mystery of Time so I will post here. The work will be performed on Saturday December 14 December by the Berlin Philharmonic conducted by Jakob Hrusa in the Philharmonie. Also in the programme, works by Berlioz, Dvorak and Bartok. The concert will be available in the Digital Concert Hall for those who have a subscription.

vandermolen

Quote from: Biffo on July 26, 2019, 01:43:12 AM
I can't find the discussion of Kabelac's Mystery of Time so I will post here. The work will be performed on Saturday December 14 December by the Berlin Philharmonic conducted by Jakob Hrusa in the Philharmonie. Also in the programme, works by Berlioz, Dvorak and Bartok. The concert will be available in the Digital Concert Hall for those who have a subscription.
Great to hear of that masterpiece being performed.

André

I listened yesterday to Pavel Haas' second quartet - the one with percussion instruments in the finale. The quartet is titled 'From the Monkey Mountains', an allusion to a popular leisure spot in the moravian hills around Brno.

Haas was born in Brno (now in South Moravia, Czech Republic) and attended Janacek's courses at the Brno Conservatory. It is well known that Haas spent the war years in Terezín (Theresienstadt) with Ullman, Krasa, Klein, Schulhoff and a host of other composers - Theresienstadt was a nazi 'cultural window'. At the end of the War he was sent to Auschwitz and gassed the day following his arrival.

Too little of his output is known. It seems to consist mainly of chamber music and songs. There is a short string orchestra work and an opera recorded on Decca (Entartete Musik). I myself know only his 3 string quartets. Quartet no 2 is a bona fide masterpiece. It has been recorded at least half a dozen times. There's even a string orchestra version. I own 2 of them and recommend a hearing. It is a stunning work.

vandermolen

Quote from: André on July 26, 2019, 08:19:53 AM
I listened yesterday to Pavel Haas' second quartet - the one with percussion instruments in the finale. The quartet is titled 'From the Monkey Mountains', an allusion to a popular leisure spot in the moravian hills around Brno.

Haas was born in Brno (now in South Moravia, Czech Republic) and attended Janacek's courses at the Brno Conservatory. It is well known that Haas spent the war years in Terezín (Theresienstadt) with Ullman, Krasa, Klein, Schulhoff and a host of other composers - Theresienstadt was a nazi 'cultural window'. At the end of the War he was sent to Auschwitz and gassed the day following his arrival.

Too little of his output is known. It seems to consist mainly of chamber music and songs. There is a short string orchestra work and an opera recorded on Decca (Entartete Musik). I myself know only his 3 string quartets. Quartet no 2 is a bona fide masterpiece. It has been recorded at least half a dozen times. There's even a string orchestra version. I own 2 of them and recommend a hearing. It is a stunning work.
I have this CD André (I learnt how to do the accent of the 'e' - only took me about twelve years  :))
I think the CD is excellent:

André

Good for you! What is your opinion on it?

I wish it was affordable. Can't find a reasonably priced offer... :-[ the opera Sarlatan seems very tempting too, but that too is way overpriced.

vandermolen

Quote from: André on July 27, 2019, 06:51:46 AM
Good for you! What is your opinion on it?

I wish it was affordable. Can't find a reasonably priced offer... :-[ the opera Sarlatan seems very tempting too, but that too is way overpriced.

I remember especially liking the Suite from 'Charlatan' also the 'Symphonie' I think.