Haitink's Netherlands Radio Broadcast - Music of the '60s and '70s

Started by PerfectWagnerite, July 17, 2008, 07:15:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PerfectWagnerite

One of our good moderators (and maybe someone else) mentioned that they wanted to listen to this cd from the set so here it is if anyone is intersted:

Henze: Antifone

Ligeti: Lotano

Takemitsu: November Steps

Ligeti: SF Polyphony

Lutoslawski: Mi-Parti

Maciek

not edward

A belated (and big) thank you for these uploads. I don't think I've heard a better performance of San Francisco Polyphony than this one: for once the various melodic lines stand out clearly and allow me as a listener to focus on both the small detail and the big picture.

I'm very impressed with the Lontano and Mi-Parti performances here too: will have to listen to the Henze and Takemitsu (though I don't think either represents the composer at his best).
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

uffeviking

Is there a recording available of those broadcasts? For your information, there are music lovers still alive who do not download, prefer those antique little round plastic discs!  ;D

bhodges

Lis, it's part of the box below on Q Disc, which is excellent if you can find it.  It's now out of print but I've seen copies on eBay for fairly reasonable prices. 

--Bruce

dirkronk

Quote from: uffeviking on August 05, 2008, 05:06:06 AM
Is there a recording available of those broadcasts? For your information, there are music lovers still alive who do not download, prefer those antique little round plastic discs!  ;D

There most certainly is. This is disc 7 of the 14-CD Q Disc box set of Haitink's Radio Recordings with the Concertgebouw. Virtually everything in that set is up to the same high level.

I've always found Haitink's studio work to be overly smooth, occasionally to the point of blandness, so I was reticent to put out the bucks required to buy this set a few years ago. But a young friend in the Netherlands (now sadly deceased) goaded me incessantly to get it, swearing that I would discover a "different" Haitink and one that would please my listening tastes. He was so right! In fact, the recordings on these CDs are the only ones in which I can use the term "exciting" in the same sentence with "Haitink" and not blush. Frankly, I do not regret even a penny of the hefty purchase price.

I commend the set highly, IF you can still get it. Berkshire Record Outlet had it available for a couple of years, but I think that source has dried up. Here are the contents of the set, as taken from my CD list:

Haitink      Radio Recordings 14 CD box             Q Disc
(only recordings by H that I consider really exciting)
1.   Mozart PC in Bb K595 (Curzon); Faure Ballade (Casadesus); Ravel PC for left hand (Wayenberg)
2.   Prokofiev PC#5 (Ashkenazy); van Baaren PC (Bruins); Bartok PC#2 (Anda)
3.   Prokofiev VC#1 (Oistrakh); Bartok VC#2 (Stern)]
4.   Frank Martin cello cto (Decroos); Walton cello cto (Nelsova)
5.   Wagner Wesendonk-lieder (Baker); Mussorgsky Boris (Sze); Strauss 4 last songs (Soderstrom)
6.   Schoenberg Erwartung (Dorow); Webern 6 Orch Stucke; Berg Kammerkonzert (Olof-v, Bruins-p)
7.   Henze Antifone; Ligeti Lontano; Takemitsu Nov. Steps; Ligeti San Fran Polyphony; Lutoslawski mi-parti
8.   Debussy 6 epigraphes antiques, Jeux; Ravel Scheherazade (Harper), Don Quichotte (Shirley-Quirk)
9.   Roussel Festin...l'Araignee; Honegger sym. 5; Poulenc "Biches" suite
10.   Stravinsky Orpheus; Movements (Bruins-p); Requiem Canticles; Threni (var. solo voices, Neth Radio Choir)
11.   Diepenbrock Die Nacht (Baker); Horst Relexions sonores; Flothuis Sonnet (van Nes); Leeuw Ombrs; Keuris Sinfonia
12.   Mahler sym. 6
13.   Bruckner sym. 7
14.   Shostakovich sym. 10

Cheers,

Dirk