Is it worth it?

Started by Michel, May 13, 2007, 08:14:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michel

Michel

SimonGodders

Quote from: Michel on May 13, 2007, 08:14:32 AM
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wagner-Opera-Collection-Richard/dp/B00006469R/ref=sr_1_6/202-6285422-0763869?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1179072318&sr=1-6

I want the Parsifal, which costs 25 quid, then I thought, well, its better value to get it all!

Should I?

I bought this set from Britannia a few years ago, they were selling it for £30 IIRC and not for very long! I'm sure it was a mistake, but made a killing selling the sets individually on ebay!

8)

Michel

Quote from: SimonGodders on May 13, 2007, 09:57:11 AM
I bought this set from Britannia a few years ago, they were selling it for £30 IIRC and not for very long! I'm sure it was a mistake, but made a killing selling the sets individually on ebay!

8)

Good lord!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bclub is great; appaling customer service, yes, but I have not had any real probs. I reckon I have saved hundreds on there.

SimonGodders

Quote from: Michel on May 13, 2007, 10:08:35 AM
Good lord!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bclub is great; appaling customer service, yes, but I have not had any real probs. I reckon I have saved hundreds on there.

I resigned, mainly due to the (and it is shocking) customer service, no one seems to know their arse from their elbow.

Do they still do decent stuff? I found the classical stock seemed to diminish quite rapidly after they were taken over or moved to Jersey, or something like that. Might have a browse later  ;)

Michel

Some stuff, Abbado Mahler cycle for just 29.99!

knight66

They drive me nuts, but I ordered stuff a week or so ago...it is not in stock. They have however abandoned their Indian Callcentre, thank goodness. They could not understand me and so often came up with prices different from the mag.

I think the site stinks, trying to find anything is not easy.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

SimonGodders

Quote from: knight on May 13, 2007, 10:41:39 AM
They have however abandoned their Indian Callcentre, thank goodness. They could not understand me and so often came up with prices different from the mag.
Mike

That could swing it for me!

Michel

Quote from: knight on May 13, 2007, 10:41:39 AM
They drive me nuts, but I ordered stuff a week or so ago...it is not in stock. They have however abandoned their Indian Callcentre, thank goodness. They could not understand me and so often came up with prices different from the mag.

I think the site stinks, trying to find anything is not easy.

Mike

I have ordered over a hundreds CD's and not had one problem - it is really bizarre! :) But I am glad.

uffeviking

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wagner-Opera-Collection-Richard/dp/B00006469R/ref=sr_1_6/202-6285422-0763869?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1179072318&sr=1-6

I want the Parsifal, which costs 25 quid, then I thought, well, its better value to get it all!

Should I?

Michel, I just read your question. You should know nothing conducted by Solti is worth ninetyone pounds!  ::)

The Mad Hatter

Er...question: what's Bclub? I typed it in the address bar, but got a golf grips website...

Solitary Wanderer

Should I?

Interestingly I spotted this exact set recently and considered getting some feedback here.

I want the Tannhauser, but like you, it would be better value to get the whole set. A boxed set of box sets!

Heres another view of it. Great artwork.

'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

Solitary Wanderer

Quote from: uffeviking on May 13, 2007, 03:07:54 PM
Michel, I just read your question. You should know nothing conducted by Solti is worth ninetyone pounds!  ::)

I've read that Solti rushes his singers  ???
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

uffeviking

Quote from: Solitary Wanderer on May 13, 2007, 03:20:19 PM

Among many other faults, yes, he does!  :o

Michel

But he has had some of the greatest casts these operas have ever seen.

I actually think that the most compelling reason not to get this is: "Why would you spend £90 on Wagner?"

max

Quote from: Michel on May 13, 2007, 10:28:24 PM
But he has had some of the greatest casts these operas have ever seen.

I actually think that the most compelling reason not to get this is: "Why would you spend £90 on Wagner?"

...because if the performance is a match made in heaven, it's far cheaper than great booze and much more potent and the bottle never gets empty. What more you want? ???

Michel

Quote from: max on May 13, 2007, 11:00:24 PM
...because if the performance is a match made in heaven, it's far cheaper than great booze and much more potent and the bottle never gets empty. What more you want? ???

Decent, non Wagnerian music?

max

Quote from: Michel on May 13, 2007, 11:05:48 PM
Decent, non Wagnerian music?

...there may be such a thing in the form of a few minor footnotes called Bach, Beethoven and Mozart but without Wagner, I'd have to fall on my sword if I had one. :'(

Michel

Quote from: max on May 13, 2007, 11:27:29 PM
...there may be such a thing in the form of a few minor footnotes called Bach, Beethoven and Mozart but without Wagner, I'd have to fall on my sword if I had one. :'(

Hehe!  :)

karlhenning

Quote from: Solitary Wanderer on May 13, 2007, 03:20:19 PM

Lots of opera singers could do with a little rushing  ::)