The one recording you think everyone should bin

Started by Michel, May 13, 2007, 08:24:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michel

Now that we have collectively gloried in the love of our joint interest, we must draw up some divisions and have some arguments.

What one recording, or perhaps more, do you think is nowhere near as good as reviewers/fan say? What are the over-rated recordings out there?

I have a few, and will not go into terrific detail at this point:

Why bother? I prefer Ancerl and Neumann, plus some of the obvious orchestras.

Just rubbish, I genuinly fail to see why these are good.

mahlertitan

Quote from: Michel on May 13, 2007, 08:24:20 AM

Just rubbish, I genuinly fail to see why these are good.

what!! that's like one of the greatest recordings of the fifth!

dtwilbanks

Quote from: MahlerTitan on May 13, 2007, 08:33:31 AM
what!! that's like one of the greatest recordings of the fifth!

I agree. That I've heard anyway.

SimonGodders

Now that we have collectively gloried in the love of our joint interest, we must draw up some divisions and have some arguments.

Love it!  >:D

I'll start with these two, dreary as dishwater:

Que

What one recording, or perhaps more, do you think is nowhere near as good as reviewers/fan say? What are the over-rated recordings out there?

Funny, I was contemplating to start just a thread like this! :)

I share your reservations on the Kleiber LvB. expertly done, but actually very selfconscious and totally unidiomatic "Straussian" (Richard, of course) performances.

Some of my nominees for the new GMG series: "Overrated Recordings of the Century ;D

Despite the illustrious line up of names (a common factor in overrated recordings) - with the notable exception of Ingeborg Hallstein, who is really a not an impressive singer - this performance is as exciting as a dead Dodo. Furtwängler did much better (live ' 53), and Böhm ('44) too. And it is said Klemperer outdid himself live (Testament).

I've already commented on this one. A major contender.

Fortunately the fame of this recording seems in decline. Giulini is as un-Mozartian as can be! Another dead Dodo.

I'll post some more later! 8)

Q

Michel

Harry Collier

Quote from: Michel on May 13, 2007, 08:45:20 AM
Then you have heard Toscanini from '33!

But Toscanini in Beethoven's 5th only lasts 12 minutes, I suspect.

Don

Perahia's wayward Handel/Scarlatti disc and Labadie's Hollywood Bowl-sounding Goldberg Variations immediately come to mind:

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Que

Quote from: SimonGodders on May 13, 2007, 08:43:18 AM
Love it!  >:D

I'll start with these two, dreary as dishwater:

The other Davis/Sibelius cycle too!

Q

SimonGodders

Quote from: Que on May 13, 2007, 09:03:51 AM
The other Davis/Sibelius cycle too!

Q

Dunno' Que, whilst I detested the LSO cycle, thought the BSO cycle had some good stuff; 3 + 7 spring to mind. Still got rid of it though, far more interesting interpretations around!  ;)

Michel

Quote from: Harry Collier on May 13, 2007, 08:57:11 AM
But Toscanini in Beethoven's 5th only lasts 12 minutes, I suspect.

Although I know this fun is suposed to be fun and it would be wayward of me to strongly slam you here, Harry, but this kind of ignorance is unacceptable. Why do silly people like you go along with absurd stereotypes that you have not experienced yourself, only heard?

Toscanini did have relatively fast first movements, but little else. If we take is Brahms 1, for example, his average length is longer than that of Mouteux, Stokowski and within ten seconds or so of Cantelli, Walter and even Karajan!

Toscanini manipluated tempi much more than he did perform things overall faster. And that is obviously what you hear and then wrongly assume. He certainly wasn't the speed freak you suggest.

Michel

I certainly enjoy Davis' Sibelius from Boston, particularly his 4th, the darkest on record. Havent heard LSO but only hear bad stuff about it.

George

Quote from: Que on May 13, 2007, 08:43:40 AM

Despite the illustrious line up of names (a common factor in overrated recordings) - with the notable exception of Ingeborg Hallstein, who is really a not an impressive singer - this performance is as exciting as a dead Dodo. Furtwängler did much better (live ' 53), and Böhm ('44) too. And it is said Klemperer outdid himself live (Testament).

:o

I got this one yesterday.  ??? So far I notice its the only title to appear on both threads.  ::)

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Que on May 13, 2007, 08:43:40 AM

Fortunately the fame of this recording seems in decline. Giulini is as un-Mozartian as can be! Another dead Dodo.

You and I are of one mind on these two, Q!

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

BachQ

The worst thing to befall the planet since the Ice Age:

SimonGodders

Quote from: Michel on May 13, 2007, 09:10:07 AM
I certainly enjoy Davis' Sibelius from Boston, particularly his 4th, the darkest on record. Havent heard LSO but only hear bad stuff about it.

DARK! I'll give you dark bitch!

Maazel/VPO, Berglund/BSO (that's Bournemouth, not Boston!), Segerstam/HPO are all dark as

Don't particularly remember the Davis with Boston, Oh no! gonna' have to hunt down a CD I've already flogged! Damn...

Bunny

I have bought so many things that I have played once or taken off before it finishes, that it's hard to remember all of them  Here are a two stand-outs from the crowd. >:D

Que

Quote from: D Minor on May 13, 2007, 09:15:58 AM
The worst thing to befall the planet since the Ice Age:

[img height=200 width]http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/511BA4TKP9L._SS500_.jpg[/img]
Agreed! Fortunately I've never owned it and heard it at a friend's. Horrible...  ;D

When I was in my teens, this was new and generally considered the ultimate.
And I believed it - silly me. ;D I played it over and over again, thinking I didn't "get" the music!
Fortunately there was nothing wrong with me, or the music, just with the recording. 8)

Another youth sin. And against this recording I have true grudge - it has kept me form LvB's violin sonatas for over a decade. Real "big boned", "fake romantic" garbage.

Q