The one recording you think everyone should bin

Started by Michel, May 13, 2007, 08:24:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don

Here's another one that really stinks up the place - Thibaudet's Chopin.

Michel

That and  everything else that has been recommended by Gramophone.  ;D

Michel

Quote from: SimonGodders on May 13, 2007, 09:26:21 AM
DARK! I'll give you dark bitch!

Maazel/VPO, Berglund/BSO (that's Bournemouth, not Boston!), Segerstam/HPO are all dark as

Don't particularly remember the Davis with Boston, Oh no! gonna' have to hunt down a CD I've already flogged! Damn...

I find Maazel and Berglund devoid of power; the ultimately satisfying creshendo in the 3rd movement of the 4th (the moment I merely wait for when hearing the symphony), just doesn't cut it for me -- which is suprsingly, given the superb orchestra Maazel had to work with. My actual favourite is Karajan.

SimonGodders

Quote from: Michel on May 13, 2007, 09:44:33 AM
I find Maazel and Berglund devoid of power; the ultimately satisfying creshendo in the 3rd movement of the 4th (the moment I merely wait for when hearing the symphony), just doesn't cut it for me -- which is suprsingly, given the superb orchestra Maazel had to work with. My actual favourite is Karajan.

Yep, granted, Karajan is very good here. Have the twofer from the 60's with 5, 6 and 7 and Tapiola (very intense and quite terrifying this version). His seventh I find a bit messy, as if he didn't quite get to grips with the structure of it. Would like to hear some his other EMI stuff sometime....

Don

This is a bit of fun.  The most boring Bach organ recordings I've ever heard come from the Hans Helmut
Tillmanns cycle on the Danacord label - stodgy tempos, lack of drama, overly rounded contours, lack of variety of touch and tempo, etc.  He's worst in the more powerful works where any sense of power is missing.
Below is just a picture of one his discs:

Michel

Quote from: Don on May 13, 2007, 09:59:45 AM
This is a bit of fun.  The most boring Bach organ recordings I've ever heard come from the Hans Helmut
Tillmanns cycle on the Danacord label - stodgy tempos, lack of drama, overly rounded contours, lack of variety of touch and tempo, etc.  He's worst in the more powerful works where any sense of power is missing.
Below is just a picture of one his discs:

Don, I thought of you recently, given that I know how much you love Organ music. I was in St Albans Cathedral here in UK recently and discovered he was the musical director there for some time. A lovely cathedral, it is.

Don

Quote from: Michel on May 13, 2007, 10:04:28 AM
Don, I thought of you recently, given that I know how much you love Organ music. I was in St Albans Cathedral here in UK recently and discovered he was the musical director there for some time. A lovely cathedral, it is.

Wasn't aware of that.  Hopefully, he's better at that job than in his Bach cycle.

Michel

Quote from: Don on May 13, 2007, 10:19:58 AM
Wasn't aware of that.  Hopefully, he's better at that job than in his Bach cycle.

Sorry, I was silly there, when I said "he", I was referring not to "him", but to Peter Hurford that I forgot to type....sorry.

Yes, the great Peter Hurford.

Don

Quote from: Michel on May 13, 2007, 10:28:19 AM
Sorry, I was silly there, when I said "he", I was referring not to "him", but to Peter Hurford that I forgot to type....sorry.

Yes, the great Peter Hurford.

Got it.  Now Hurford is an exceptional Bach performing artist.

Que

Another folly of my teens (fortunately I don't blindly follow the recommendations in CD guides anymore  ;D)
Opinions will be divided on this one, but I don't like Uchida's Mozart....at all.
8)

Q

George

Quote from: Que on May 13, 2007, 09:35:35 AM

When I was in my teens, this was new and generally considered the ultimate.
And I believed it - silly me. ;D I played it over and over again, thinking I did't "get" the music!
Fortunately there was nothing wrong with me, or the music, just with the recording. 8)

I actually like this one. Haven't heard a better Hammerklavier...There must be something wrong with me.  ;D

Don

Quote from: Que on May 13, 2007, 10:44:00 AM
Another folly of my teens (fortunately I don't blindly follow the recommendations in CD guides anymore  ;D)
Opinions will be divided on this one, but I don't like Uchida's Mozart....at all.
8)

Q

We'll have to part ways on the Uchida cycle and Pollini's 2-cd set of Beethoven's late sonatas.  For me, they are as good as it gets.

Don

What strikes me most about the postings on this thread is that members whose musical preferences I tend to agree with are coming up with disliked recordings that I find among the best around.  And that's fine - I never expect to locate my clone on discussion boards.

SimonGodders

Quote from: George on May 13, 2007, 10:48:19 AM

I actually like this one. Haven't heard a better Hammerklavier...There must be something wrong with me.  ;D

One of my favourites too! I really admire Pollini's Chiselled aggression in these late works, really works for me.

Might have to keep away from this thread!
;D

Que

Quote from: George on May 13, 2007, 10:48:19 AM

I'm sure you're fine, George!  ;D

Quote from: SimonGodders on May 13, 2007, 10:55:00 AM
One of my favourites too! I really admire Pollini's Chiselled aggression in these late works, really works for me.

Good description, and precisely what does not appeal to me.

QuoteMight have to keep away from this thread! ;D

I hope not! I'd like to hear your nominations. :)

Q

knight66

Bach Orchestral Suites Neville Marriner.....Muzak performances. DULL.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Michel on May 13, 2007, 09:10:07 AM
I certainly enjoy Davis' Sibelius from Boston, particularly his 4th, the darkest on record. Havent heard LSO but only hear bad stuff about it.

The LSO Kullervo is magnificent, and the Boston Sixth is the best ever...EVER.

Thus Spake Sargethustra

Seriously  ;)
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: SimonGodders on May 13, 2007, 09:26:21 AM
DARK! I'll give you dark bitch!

Maazel/VPO...

Amen, brother (and if M were here, we'd be the Gang of Three)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Don

Quote from: knight on May 13, 2007, 11:13:27 AM
Bach Orchestral Suites Neville Marriner.....Muzak performances. DULL.

Mike

Agreed.  Marriner and Bach are a poor match.