The one recording you think everyone should bin

Started by Michel, May 13, 2007, 08:24:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kishnevi

Quote from: Baklavaboy on February 13, 2014, 12:02:06 AM
  I've bought 2K cds over the last year, and the only thing I regret buying was the huge Furtwangler Membran box. Sound is a bit too historical for my ears.

Historical.   Nice diplomatic way of putting it.  I'll have to remember that one.

Ken B

Baklavaboy:    I've bought 2K cds over the last year ...

You are my new hero! Not only that I can show this to my girlfriend and say, "See? See?"

Sammy

Quote from: Ken B on February 10, 2014, 08:19:41 AM
Klemperer's St Matthew Passion.

This turned me off the SMP for years. I generally love Klemperer. It takes a great musician to do anything remotely this awful.

Interesting.  Klemperer's is the only non-hip version I've ever enjoyed, but I have to admit it's a very slow trek.

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Ken B on February 13, 2014, 04:43:05 PM
Baklavaboy:    I've bought 2K cds over the last year ...

You are my new hero! Not only that I can show this to my girlfriend and say, "See? See?"

In my defense, they are ALL parts of sets and boxes.  I have only bought about 10 that are in jewel cases, and those were jazz.  About a 1/3 were a dollar a disc (Jazz encyclopedia boxes, Meister Conzerte, Toscanini, Rubinstein, furtwangler) , and virtually all the others at $3 or less a disc.  Still insane, though.  I also bought 3 stereos... 8)
It's all good...

Bogey

Quote from: ritter on February 10, 2014, 11:37:41 PM
Will keep this in mind, don't worry  ;) ... but for the time being, I don't intend to go as far punishing Gieskeing with exile from my collection  ;D

;D
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

zmic

Quote from: Sammy on February 13, 2014, 04:54:25 PM
Interesting.  Klemperer's is the only non-hip version I've ever enjoyed, but I have to admit it's a very slow trek.

Ah, that's just because the others play it way too fast  >:D. I also love Mengelberg which is ever more non-hip.

As for records to bin, I've always been mystified by the popularity of Hamelin's Haydn recordings. Hamelin is nice for Alkan and Godowsky and the likes. But Haydn?

Florestan

The one recording you think everyone should bin???

There is no such beast, period. De gustibus et coloribus non disputandum est;D ;D ;D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Wakefield

Quote from: Florestan on February 14, 2014, 10:38:50 AM
The one recording you think everyone should bin???

There is no such beast, period. De gustibus et coloribus non disputandum est;D ;D ;D

I totally agree.

Therefore, here goes my recommendation: the one recording I think everyone should own.  :P

[asin]B000B7G0RY[/asin]

(I ignore if other versions with different covers have the same remastering)

:D
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

cournot

I dislike most modern atonal/serial/radical music.  However, there are some pieces I especially hate.  But I fear to post the CD titles in the fear that a minority who like that stuff will actually try these deservedly obscure recordings.  I prefer to keep them obscure and impecunious.

I can remember some premieres in particular, that were so awful and unpleasant that I violated all protocol and loudly booed the conductor and the composer at the end of the piece when they both came up on stage.

North Star

Quote from: Baklavaboy on February 13, 2014, 06:45:58 PMI also bought 3 stereos... 8)
That must help - you can listen to all the disc three times faster now!  :laugh:
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

kishnevi

Quote from: cournot on February 14, 2014, 01:57:51 PM
I dislike most modern atonal/serial/radical music.  However, there are some pieces I especially hate.  But I fear to post the CD titles in the fear that a minority who like that stuff will actually try these deservedly obscure recordings.  I prefer to keep them obscure and impecunious.

I can remember some premieres in particular, that were so awful and unpleasant that I violated all protocol and loudly booed the conductor and the composer at the end of the piece when they both came up on stage.

Some musicians would think it a good thing to be booed.

But I was once part of a choral group in college which gave the premiere of a new work;  our feelings for the composer and the work by the end of the rehearsals can be deduced from the fact that we nearly booed the composer (who made no attempt to win us over) ourselves.   But we merely said to each other, "thank God that's over!  Now for some decent music!"  (I've recounted this episode in some thread or other.)

In truth,  I'm not keen on the sort of music you refer to.  But I usually pass it over as "not to my taste", and instead give a weak sort of applause for the sake of the performers, who (my experience notwithstanding) really believe in this music, if they are going to the effort of performing it.

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz