Shostakovich String Quartets

Started by quintett op.57, May 13, 2007, 10:23:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd

Since I first picked up the Danel's first DSCH cycle, it has been my reference set.  When I learned they recorded a second take, it was just a matter of time before I got my grubby paws on it.  Now the inevitable comparison must be made.

#1.  Similar in approach, the newer recording sounds slightly more refined and warmer in places, almost approaching Rubio Quartet quality in some passages.  There's a greater interpretative elasticity, with more tension, more refinement, more lightness, more edge, etc, when and where needed.  Danel II takes it.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mandryka

Quote from: Todd on July 10, 2024, 01:16:04 PM 

Since I first picked up the Danel's first DSCH cycle, it has been my reference set.  When I learned they recorded a second take, it was just a matter of time before I got my grubby paws on it.  Now the inevitable comparison must be made.

#1.  Similar in approach, the newer recording sounds slightly more refined and warmer in places, almost approaching Rubio Quartet quality in some passages.  There's a greater interpretative elasticity, with more tension, more refinement, more lightness, more edge, etc, when and where needed.  Danel II takes it.

Now go straight to 15 please.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darĂ¼ber muss man schweigen

Todd

#2.  Danel I is sleek, lean, edgy but refined.  The waltz is dark and elegantly savage.  The theme and variations closer has enough bite and energy to satisfy.  Nice.  Danel II sounds fuller and more intense overall, though the waltz sounds more austere, desolate.  Also, it sounds like the first violinist's nose had its own microphone.  Danel II by a smidge.

Todd

#3.  Danel I  starts light and breezy, but before the first movement ends the tension starts building.  The second movement ratchets tension up without getting heavy, and the third movement is all tension.  The sorrowful Adagio then segues to an almost searing, at least at times, final movement that trails off into the ether.  Nice.  Danel II sounds richer and displays greater variety of tempi and dynamics, but it lacks the cohesiveness of the earlier recording.  Danel I takes it handily.  Since this is one of my favorite DSCH quartets, that's extra notable.