Does anyone have this recording???

Started by samuel, August 11, 2008, 08:08:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

samuel

Das Lied von der Erde
Jochum, Haefliger, Merriman, Concertgebouw
Deutsche Grammophon
OOP 

Unless someone knows where I can find it for less than the ridiculous used prices on Amazon Marketplace, I was wondering if anyone has it. If so, I will pay them for a burned copy... just message me!

Thanks 

PSmith08

Quote from: Samuel on August 11, 2008, 08:08:29 AM
Das Lied von der Erde
Jochum, Haefliger, Merriman, Concertgebouw
Deutsche Grammophon
OOP 

Unless someone knows where I can find it for less than the ridiculous used prices on Amazon Marketplace, I was wondering if anyone has it. If so, I will pay them for a burned copy... just message me!

Thanks 

If you're willing to go with a burned copy, then you might as well pay the 12 dollars to get it off the DG Web Shop. It looks like you even get a PDF booklet. The bitrate is, of course, 320 kbps, which is pretty solid. You can also get it in 256 kbps MP3 through Amazon's download service. I guess it's a question of how much that extra 64 kbps and PDF booklet is worth to you. You can also get it in DRM-laden 128 kbps AAC from iTunes, but that's more expensive than the higher-bitrate MP3 files Amazon will sell you.

My overarching point, though, is that if you're after an OOP DG recording, check the DG Web Shop and, then, Amazon. I found these in about ten minutes, and I wasn't trying too hard.

samuel

wow i can't believe i didn't think of that. thanks!

PSmith08

Quote from: Samuel on August 11, 2008, 01:42:13 PM
wow i can't believe i didn't think of that. thanks!

Glad to help. My only caveat is that the DGWS doesn't have every single desirable OOP set. For example, Sinopoli's well-regarded Bruckner 8th does not seem to have made the leap. There are a few others like that, but, on the whole, between DGWS and Amazon, you can hunt down quite a decent-sized part of the back catalog.

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: PSmith08 on August 11, 2008, 01:56:00 PM
For example, Sinopoli's well-regarded Bruckner 8th does not seem to have made the leap.
The 8th? Sometimes you see it available on ebay for $40-$60...The rare one is the 9th which I have never seen.

PSmith08

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on August 11, 2008, 03:08:13 PM
The 8th? Sometimes you see it available on ebay for $40-$60...The rare one is the 9th which I have never seen.

The 8th, with Metamorphosen? I had been given to consider that one pretty rare, though it wouldn't surprise me that his 9th is rare, too.

One would have thought that DG would have marked his 2001 death with something more than Ariadne and the Stabat Mater, or that they would have kept something more of his catalog in circulation than they did.

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: PSmith08 on August 11, 2008, 03:15:01 PM
The 8th, with Metamorphosen? I had been given to consider that one pretty rare, though it wouldn't surprise me that his 9th is rare, too.

One would have thought that DG would have marked his 2001 death with something more than Ariadne and the Stabat Mater, or that they would have kept something more of his catalog in circulation than they did.
I remember when the 9th first came out it got some bad reviews (forgot where I read it, it was 12-13 years ago althought classicstoday.com don't love it either) so maybe DG got scared and shelved it.

There is also a Liszt Dante that is supposed to be not-so common and sells for some high prices on ebay at times.

M forever

Are you kidding? DG don't give a shit about reviews. Karajan got megatons of very bad, hate-filled reviews throughout his career, especially in Germany. I am not under the impression that that ever interested DG. The only criterion is if the recording sells or not. They didn't "mark" Sinopoli's death with the Stabat Mater either, it just happened to be scheduled for release.
I have all the above discussed Sinopoli items of course, including the Dante and Faust symphonies. I have to check at some point but I think I have pretty much all of his orchestral recordings, and a large number of his opera recordings as well. There is a disc with works by Bussotti from the 70s which I don't have yet, but it is available for download from DG. I am still looking for the CD, but I don't find it, I will get the download.

PSmith08

Quote from: M forever on August 15, 2008, 07:23:45 PM
They didn't "mark" Sinopoli's death with the Stabat Mater either, it just happened to be scheduled for release.

That is precisely my point. As often as record labels churn out reissues and new "editions," one would think that a conductor with intelligent and interesting things to say would get something more than a preplanned release to "mark" his death, especially when it was as unexpected and as unfortunate as it was.

So, you're right, they did not "mark" Sinopoli's death with that Stabat Mater, largely because, as best as I can tell, they didn't mark Sinopoli's death much at all.

But, hey, what can you expect from a label that does quite a bit of repackaging records that may or may not have been OOP at some point or another?

Lilas Pastia

It's very confusing to figure out what drives record labels' release policies - don't mention strategies: these are aimed at specific groups/constituencies, and those same pundits have no clue whatsoever about a classical music loving public.

In Japan Karl Böhm seems to be quite well treated (in terms of releases and their availability). I had to go there to get some Mozart, Tchaikovsky, Dvorak, Schubert and Strauss recordings from his glorious Indian summer period (1975-1980). Why should the japanese public be more favoured than the 'western' one, where both the music and their interpreters hail?

It seems that whoever make these decisions in Germany, the UK or the USA is a registered member of the Philistines crowd.

canninator

Quote from: PSmith08 on August 11, 2008, 01:56:00 PM
Glad to help. My only caveat is that the DGWS doesn't have every single desirable OOP set. For example, Sinopoli's well-regarded Bruckner 8th does not seem to have made the leap. There are a few others like that, but, on the whole, between DGWS and Amazon, you can hunt down quite a decent-sized part of the back catalog.

I think this is what you are looking for at ArchivMusic. Saw it today and vaguely remembered this thread.

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=178836&album_group=8

Gustav

Quote from: canninator on October 01, 2008, 03:47:04 AM
I think this is what you are looking for at ArchivMusic. Saw it today and vaguely remembered this thread.

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=178836&album_group=8

yeah, but 32 bucks for an reissue?

MDL

Quote from: M forever on August 15, 2008, 07:23:45 PM
There is a disc with works by Bussotti from the 70s which I don't have yet, but it is available for download from DG. I am still looking for the CD, but I don't find it, I will get the download.

Do you mean Bergkristall and the Lorenzaccio Symphony? I've got that on a double coupled with the Rara Requiem (which I much prefer), but the orchestral works are worth a listen.

M forever

Is that the 2CD "20th Century Classics" with the blue cover?

Drasko

LP rips (in flac) of Sinopoli's Bussotti recordings can be downloaded for free from loudav's site.

http://www.avantgardeproject.org/agp53/index.htm

MDL

Quote from: M forever on October 01, 2008, 01:27:25 PM
Is that the 2CD "20th Century Classics" with the blue cover?

Indeedy doody, that's the one.