Film (movie) Music

Started by vandermolen, August 12, 2008, 12:33:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

What are you favourite film scores?

Some of mine are:

Conan the Barbarian: (Poledouris), a great score, like Prokofiev's "Alexander Nevsky" (really!)

The Heiress: Copland

Ivan the Terribe: Prokofiev

War and Peace (Russian): Ovchinnikov (wish it was on CD)

Shawshank Redemption/Green Mile: Thomas Newman

2001 A Space Odyssey: Ligeti etc

Dead of Night: Auric

The Cruel Sea: Rawsthorne

There are many more, but that will do for now.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

MDL

The Devils - Peter Maxwell Davies
2001 - Ligeti
The Shining - Penderecki, Ligeti
Alien - Jerry Goldsmith
And of course, Mahler - Mahler

MDL

Quote from: MDL on August 12, 2008, 01:28:23 AM
The Devils - Peter Maxwell Davies
2001 - Ligeti
The Shining - Penderecki, Ligeti
Alien - Jerry Goldsmith
And of course, Mahler - Mahler

I hope I haven't broken the rules by naming three films that use pre-existing music. I suppose that is cheating, a little bit. Sorry.  :)

ChamberNut

A Clockwork Orange (this one led me down to the classical music path, sparked my interest  :))

The Omen - Jerry Goldsmith

2001:  A Space Odyssey

Barry Lyndon

The Shining

The Piano

The Last of the Mohicans

Eyes Wide Shut

Amadeus

Szykneij

Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

karlhenning

Quote from: MDL on August 12, 2008, 03:56:42 AM
I hope I haven't broken the rules by naming three films that use pre-existing music. I suppose that is cheating, a little bit. Sorry.  :)

I don't think you can have broken them, since vandermolen himself cited:

Quote from: vandermolen on August 12, 2008, 12:33:38 AM
2001 A Space Odyssey: Ligeti etc

karlhenning

Shostakovich's music for Kozintsev's films of Hamlet & King Lear

The pop hodge-podge that 'scores' The Big Lebowski suits it perfectly.

MDL

Quote from: karlhenning on August 12, 2008, 05:22:09 AM

Slightly off topic, have you seen either of these films? I haven't. I'd be curious to see King Lear, though.

karlhenning

Quote from: MDL on August 12, 2008, 06:21:40 AM
Slightly off topic, have you seen either of these films? I haven't. I'd be curious to see King Lear, though.

I've seen both, and indeed recommend both.

Joe Barron

No one has mentioned Copland's film scores. I am especially fond of the music for Our Town. Copland himself selected extracts from the work and published them in piano arrangements. To my knowledge, he is the only composer of movie music ever to do that.

Kullervo

Quote from: MDL on August 12, 2008, 06:21:40 AM

Kozintsev's Hamlet is my favorite Shakespeare adaptation, and one of my favorite movies of any genre.

vandermolen

Quote from: Joe Barron on August 12, 2008, 06:59:02 AM
No one has mentioned Copland's film scores. 

See my initial post  :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

karlhenning

Kullervo

John Williams - Empire Strikes Back

All of the original trilogy scores are great, but this wins over the others for the Ice Battle music and Han and Leia's love motif.

David Newman - The Brave Little Toaster

This is a recent re-discovery for me. Surprisingly dissonant and adventurous for a children's film, and probably the reason why many people say this movie "creeps them out". I have fond memories associated with this movie, and I suspect the score had something to do with later developments in my musical tastes. The songs by Van Dyke Parks are also really fun.

Jerry Goldsmith - Chinatown

Very potent mix of the "classic" Hollywood score sound and East Asian music (I am avoiding using the word "Oriental"). Sounds kitschy, but it's lovely.

Moldyoldie

The Blue Max
Patton

-Jerry Goldsmith

Ben Hur
King of Kings

-Miklos Rosza

Field of Dreams
Glory

-James Horner

Taxi Driver
Fahrenheit 451
Mysterious Island

-Bernard Hermann

The Great Escape
The Magnificent Seven
The Buccaneer

-Elmer Bernstein

On the Waterfront
-Leonard Bernstein

Many, many others!
"I think the problem with technology is that people use it because it's around.  That is disgusting and stupid!  Please quote me."
- Steve Reich

Szykneij

Quote from: Corey on August 12, 2008, 12:29:57 PM
David Newman - The Brave Little Toaster
This is a recent re-discovery for me. Surprisingly dissonant and adventurous for a children's film, and probably the reason why many people say this movie "creeps them out". I have fond memories associated with this movie, and I suspect the score had something to do with later developments in my musical tastes. The songs by Van Dyke Parks are also really fun.

Interesting! When my son was little, this was one of the videos I liked him to watch because I enjoyed the music. I hadn't thought of "The Brave Little Toaster" in years until I saw your post and checked to see if the soundtrack was available on Amazon. They only have one listed, in used condition, for $91.39!  :o
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Iago

"Captains from Castle" - Alfred Newman
"The Sea Hawk", "Adventures of Robin Hood", -Erich Korngold
"Peyton Place"- Franz Waxman
"Now Voyager", "Kings Row" - Max Steiner

TV Series'
"Victory at Sea" - Richard Rodgers
"Air Power" - Norman Dello Joio
"Good", is NOT good enough, when "better" is expected

M forever

Quote from: Iago on August 12, 2008, 09:48:09 PM
"Kings Row" - Max Steiner

Isn't "King's Row" by Korngold, too? The score that John Williams lifted most of the Star Wars theme from.

zamyrabyrd

Quote from: karlhenning on August 12, 2008, 05:22:09 AM

Hamlet is one DVD worth owning. We got ours from:
http://www.russiandvd.com/store/product.asp?sku=37286&lang=eng

ZB
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one."

― Charles MacKay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds