Film (movie) Music

Started by vandermolen, August 12, 2008, 12:33:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on September 14, 2020, 07:22:16 AM
From WAYLTN thread:
I don't recall ever having a compilation film music album where I have enjoyed every track, however this one (original soundtrack recordings) certainly comes into that category:

Oh, neat!  I knew that Vaughan Williams had written numerous film music, but hadn't realized that those others did.  Curious as to which films?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 29, 2020, 12:21:24 PM
Oh, neat!  I knew that Vaughan Williams had written numerous film music, but hadn't realized that those others did.  Curious as to which films?

PD

VW: 49th Parallel (Prelude and Epilogue)
Holst: Perfect Fool (Ballet music)*
Walton: Henry V
Alwyn: The Cure for Love
Alwyn: Calypso Music from The Rake's Progress
Parker: Seascape from Western Approaches
Boughton: Lorna's Song from Lorna Doone*
Bliss: March from Things to Come
Delius: Hassan excerpts*
Falla: El Amor Brujo from Honeymoon*
* = Stage production, not cinema
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Papy Oli

If of any interest, Chandos has the RVW film music (vol 1 + 2 + 3) in their deleted CD sections on sale for £5.00 for the 3-cd set.

https://www.chandos.net/products/catalogue/CHAN%2010529#CD
Olivier

vandermolen

Quote from: Papy Oli on September 29, 2020, 11:07:44 PM
If of any interest, Chandos has the RVW film music (vol 1 + 2 + 3) in their deleted CD sections on sale for £5.00 for the 3-cd set.

That's a great set and amazing value for the three CDS.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on September 29, 2020, 10:44:39 PM
VW: 49th Parallel (Prelude and Epilogue)
Holst: Perfect Fool (Ballet music)*
Walton: Henry V
Alwyn: The Cure for Love
Alwyn: Calypso Music from The Rake's Progress
Parker: Seascape from Western Approaches
Boughton: Lorna's Song from Lorna Doone*
Bliss: March from Things to Come
Delius: Hassan excerpts*
Falla: El Amor Brujo from Honeymoon*
* = Stage production, not cinema
Thanks for the list...and the reminder.  I do have (and enjoy) The Perfect Fool on this CD And a BBC MM CD of Walton's Henry V.  Just might have the Delius in a set (conductor, not of Delius).  Have El Amor (concert version only I think??).  Definitely don't know the other works.

Quote from: vandermolen on September 29, 2020, 11:17:37 PM
That's a great set and amazing value for the three CDS.
Thanks.  I'll look into it.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Roasted Swan

André

Quote from: Papy Oli on September 29, 2020, 11:07:44 PM

Great production value, too: the 3 discs are housed in cardboard envelopes printed with the original artwork, and the 3 individual disc booklets - all in a slim cardboard set !

I sent an email to Chandos asking them to give the Thomson set of Bax orchestral works (9 discs excluding the symphonies) the same treatment.

vandermolen

Quote from: André on October 01, 2020, 12:09:08 PM
Great production value, too: the 3 discs are housed in cardboard envelopes printed with the original artwork, and the 3 individual disc booklets - all in a slim cardboard set !

I sent an email to Chandos asking them to give the Thomson set of Bax orchestral works (9 discs excluding the symphonies) the same treatment.
Good plan!

vandermolen

Having watched 'Tora, Tora, Tora' on TV the other night (so much better than 'Pearl Harbour') I thought that I'd fish out my Jerry Goldsmith soundtrack CD. I especially liked the 'End Title' where Admiral Yamamoto, having made his prophetic 'awakened a sleeping giant and filled it with a terrible resolve' speech, walks out alone on one of the Japanese battleships and stares out to sea. I've just played it four times. Jerry Goldsmith was such a great and versatile composer:

relm1

Quote from: vandermolen on October 06, 2020, 05:55:51 AM
Having watched 'Tora, Tora, Tora' on TV the other night (so much better than 'Pearl Harbour') I thought that I'd fish out my Jerry Goldsmith soundtrack CD. I especially liked the 'End Title' where Admiral Yamamoto, having made his prophetic 'awakened a sleeping giant and filled it with a terrible resolve' speech, walks out alone on one of the Japanese battleships and stares out to sea. I've just played it four times. Jerry Goldsmith was such a great and versatile composer:

Such a great, great film too!  Not so much a war movie as a character study of a very interesting war leader.  Fantastic performances, directing, and score of course which is sparingly used.  The 3 hours film only has around 30 minutes of music.  Also interesting is how Goldsmith's score combines religion (the organ hymnal representing Patton's faith), reincarnation (Patton believed he was reincarnated ancient warrior who retained all he learned in previous battles and represented by the trumpet echoflex), and march (representing the decorated military career). All these elements are combined throughout the score.

vandermolen

Quote from: relm1 on October 06, 2020, 06:11:39 AM
Such a great, great film too!  Not so much a war movie as a character study of a very interesting war leader.  Fantastic performances, directing, and score of course which is sparingly used.  The 3 hours film only has around 30 minutes of music.  Also interesting is how Goldsmith's score combines religion (the organ hymnal representing Patton's faith), reincarnation (Patton believed he was reincarnated ancient warrior who retained all he learned in previous battles and represented by the trumpet echoflex), and march (representing the decorated military career). All these elements are combined throughout the score.

Ah yes, Patton was a great film with a very memorable score although I was talking about 'Tora, Tora, Tora' which occupies much less of the CD. Nice modern recordings of both works.

vandermolen

Very much enjoying this new arrival in excellent sound. A pity that Bogey is no longer contributing to the Forum:

vandermolen

Now playing:

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

The Lover (L'Amant). Music by Lebanese-French composer, Gabriel Yared.
Usually, not a fan of cinema music. But this music is exception to me.

https://youtu.be/MTYcUwseKuw

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: vandermolen on October 06, 2020, 05:55:51 AM

Tora, Tora, Tora is a good movie.
Possibly it is even better than Midway, which is an overly sentimental movie. But since the half of movie is about the story of "other side", it is not popular in the North America.
The subtitle for Japanese language is very, very poor and often inaccurate. That needs to be changed.

Before the War, Yamamoto was a leading critic of the Japanese alliance with Nazi Germany and her invasion of China. He went to Harvard and he was a pro-US/UK guy.  Because of that he narrowly survived several assassination attempts  against him by rightwing nationalists.
Irony that he became a leader of the plan he had opposed by risking his life.

vandermolen

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on November 09, 2020, 06:50:39 AM
Tora, Tora, Tora is a good movie.
Possibly it is even better than Midway, which is an overly sentimental movie. But since the half of movie is about the story of "other side", it is not popular in the North America.
The subtitle for Japanese language is very, very poor and often inaccurate. That needs to be changed.

Before the War, Yamamoto was a leading critic of the Japanese alliance with Nazi Germany and her invasion of China. He went to Harvard and he was a pro-US/UK guy.  Because of that he narrowly survived several assassination attempts  against him by rightwing nationalists.
Irony that he became a leader of the plan he had opposed by risking his life.
Interesting. Thanks. Yamamoto is portrayed as a commander of considerable integrity in the film. The thing that I like about the film is that it is not 'gung ho' but is an intelligent and apparently well-researched movie, which shows the background story and attack from both points of view. Interesting about the subtitles. My parents went to the premiere of the film in London.

Roy Bland

Quote from: vandermolen on November 09, 2020, 10:46:36 AM
Interesting. Thanks. Yamamoto is portrayed as a commander of considerable integrity in the film. The thing that I like about the film is that it is not 'gung ho' but is an intelligent and apparently well-researched movie, which shows the background story and attack from both points of view. Interesting about the subtitles. My parents went to the premiere of the film in London.
He was personally against war
https://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/07/opinion/a-reluctant-enemy.html
But we should return IT.A prominent japanese film composer was Masaruh Satoh  (sometime recalls Morricone),His highly dramatic scores on last desperate WWII battles are highly appreciable IMHO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzBFO3FZdoc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOV5dvhPBYE
Best

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Roasted Swan on September 29, 2020, 09:27:56 AM
Herrmann is (rightly) there.  I do accept that there will always be debate about some of the names and the order they are in, but to omit Korngold simply displays ignorance, crassness or stupidity.   But they include "the Japanese John Williams" instead.  I'm sure his music is excellent but NOT influential in the global sense that Korngold was (and still is in cinematic terms).

Who is this Japanese composer? What is his/her name? Just curious.

vandermolen

Quote from: Roy Bland on November 09, 2020, 04:37:42 PM
He was personally against war
https://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/07/opinion/a-reluctant-enemy.html
But we should return IT.A prominent japanese film composer was Masaruh Satoh  (sometime recalls Morricone),His highly dramatic scores on last desperate WWII battles are highly appreciable IMHO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzBFO3FZdoc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOV5dvhPBYE
Best

I like the music and the film looks interesting.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

+1. Very good music. Thank you for the post, Roy!
Though I don't know about the composer, I have watched both the films a few times.  They are fine, sophisticated movies, but not like the entertaining Hollywood war movies with handsome good guys and ugly evil guys. Japan's Longest Day was remade a few years ago under the same Japanese title and a different English title, "The Emperor in August."  The movies are about the attempted and averted military coup by the hardliners in military, who wanted to continue the war, after the Emperor (unconstitutionally) told the government to surrender.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4289340/?ref_=ttmi_tt