Film (movie) Music

Started by vandermolen, August 12, 2008, 12:33:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjme

I've sung the praises of my favorite several times here...

"Lost horizon" gets a glorious over the top performance. Lovers of tubular bells, tuned gongs and a wordless chorus won't be disappointed. Just imagine sitting in a great Art Deco cinema and enjoy!

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 26, 2021, 11:07:08 AM
;D Looking at the images, I realized that I do have one of Gebhardt's; it's the CD of Korngold's music called "Elizabeth and Essex".  It's actually an Arkiv-Music CD-Rom and has great liner notes and photos!  I remember enjoying listening to it--even though I've never seen the movie.  :(  I should try and catch up on some classics (and take a break from Nordic Noir for a while).  ;)
I would add the 'Elizabeth and Essex' LP/CD to RS's list of favourites, not least for Korngold's 'Cello Concerto' from the film 'Deception'.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: pjme on January 26, 2021, 12:57:12 PM

"Lost horizon" gets a glorious over the top performance. Lovers of tubular bells, tuned gongs and a wordless chorus won't be disappointed. Just imagine sitting in a great Art Deco cinema and enjoy!

Dutton have reissued a re-mastered recording of several of the favourite releases including Lost Horizon, Waxman (Sunset Boulevard etc), Bogart:

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

That sounds like a fun-sounding score--and interesting movie to watch.  :)

Quote from: vandermolen on January 26, 2021, 03:02:29 PM
I would add the 'Elizabeth and Essex' LP/CD to RS's list of favourites, not least for Korngold's 'Cello Concerto' from the film 'Deception'.

I'll put it on later this afternoon.
Pohjolas Daughter

relm1

What is this movie about?  It looks like retro sci-fi.

pjme

Wiki:
Lost Horizon is a 1937 American adventure drama fantasy film directed by Frank Capra. The screenplay by Robert Riskin is based on the 1933 novel of the same name by James Hilton.

The film exceeded its original budget by more than $776,000 and took five years to earn back its cost. The serious financial crisis it created for Columbia Pictures damaged the partnership between Capra and studio head Harry Cohn, as well as the friendship between Capra and Riskin.[2]

In 2016, the film was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant".

For me personally, this 1938 film left rather a positive impression..but then, I like fairy tales and old fashioned SciFi. Lost Horizon may not be a major masterpiece by Frank Capra, but esthetically it hangs together well in its late Art deco style and  refined lightning.   It has been restored.
Peter

Szykneij

I believe I read this in high school English class.

Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Roasted Swan on January 26, 2021, 10:12:15 AM
There were around 12 'core' releases plus a couple of later John Williams/Star Wars discs plus one of David Raksin conducting his own music.  But of the core group, for me the most revelatory were;

plus the two Korngold discs;

The others are all fine as well but these were the discs that as LP's I literally wore out!
I remember years ago going to the broadway show of "Sunset Boulevard" (in London).  I wonder whether or not they used any of the original music from the movie or if it was totally different.  Anyone here know?
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 27, 2021, 03:30:37 AM
That sounds like a fun-sounding score--and interesting movie to watch.  :)
I'll put it on later this afternoon.
Excellent! 😀

Roasted Swan

As an 'appendix' to the Classic Film Score series there is this interesting extra disc.  NOT part of the series but it is Charles Gerhardt conducting the National PO produced by George Korngold.  I've scanned the liner noteshere for people's interest - its gives a useful background into the origins of the Classic Film Score Series.  Worth noting too how this disc was originally recorded for Reader's Digest.  None of the repertoire overlaps with the RCA discs and it is performed with the usual flair and empathy of these great musicians - certainly a disc worth hearing if you've enjoyed the other recordings by this team....

Roasted Swan

The 2nd page of the liner mentioned above - too big to attach to a single post......

Pohjolas Daughter

Thank you for those Swan.  I've saved them and am looking forward to reading them soon!  :)
Pohjolas Daughter

Brahmsian

Quote from: vandermolen on January 22, 2021, 05:05:14 AM
This is the contents of the new Sony box which features most of the releases I think:
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=gerhardt+film+music&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjZ5Kev2q_uAhWUUBUIHXwlC-8Q_AUoA3oECAUQBQ&biw=1108&bih=601&dpr=1.5#imgrc=-DPoa_1u2aw1mMt due to the

Like RS I've been rather put off buying this set due to the absence of notes, which are important in this type of release.

I am interested in obtaining this set (in spite of the lack of notes) due to David Hurwitz's rave review.

vandermolen

Quote from: OrchestralNut on February 17, 2021, 02:46:28 PM
I am interested in obtaining this set (in spite of the lack of notes) due to David Hurwitz's rave review.
Oh, I must have a look at it. I have many, but not all, of the individual releases and have resisted temptation up until now.

Brahmsian

Quote from: vandermolen on February 17, 2021, 03:11:55 PM
Oh, I must have a look at it. I have many, but not all, of the individual releases and have resisted temptation up until now.

It's part of his YouTube video reviews, but is also a review on Arkiv Music.

Benji

Quote from: vandermolen on February 17, 2021, 03:11:55 PM

Oh yeah that looks very interesting!

I've been listening to a bit Herrmann recently - what a unique and boundlessly creative composer he was. Everything he wrote is full of emotion and he runs the full spectrum - contrast the jazzy Taxi Driver score with the Vertigo love theme, with the crazy brass and percussion led fireworks of any of the Ray Harryhausen scores,  with the creepy sci-fi sound he created for The Day the Earth Stood Still.

Here's my favourite Herrmann disc - the recording and performance are stellar - you can pick up on all of Herrmann's wonderful orchestration (including what I think is a jazz organ underpinning some of the chords... brilliant!).

So yes - a really great disc to test your hifi with! ;D In the Prelude the brass chords give me goosebumps every time.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Benji on February 17, 2021, 04:00:02 PM

I've been listening to a bit Herrmann recently - what a unique and boundlessly creative composer he was. Everything he wrote is full of emotion and he runs the full spectrum - contrast the jazzy Taxi Driver score with the Vertigo love theme, with the crazy brass and percussion led fireworks of any of the Ray Harryhausen scores,  with the creepy sci-fi sound he created for The Day the Earth Stood Still.

Here's my favourite Herrmann disc - the recording and performance are stellar - you can pick up on all of Herrmann's wonderful orchestration (including what I think is a jazz organ underpinning some of the chords... brilliant!).

So yes - a really great disc to test your hifi with! ;D In the Prelude the brass chords give me goosebumps every time.

Oh boy..... It would be nice if there was a Bernard Herrmann film music box set!

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Benji on February 17, 2021, 04:00:02 PM

Yes absolutely re Herrman's creativity.  Its a well-known fact but one that bears repetition - he was one of very few (only?) Hollywood composers who did all his own scoring simply because the intrumental timbres/combinations he had in mind were so unique that not even the most experienced/brilliant orchestrator could recreate them.  What that must have added to his personal workload/pressure given the time constraints of film composing I dread to think.

I still can't really get into his Wuthering Heights - I must try again!

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on February 20, 2021, 02:03:45 AM
Yes absolutely re Herrman's creativity.  Its a well-known fact but one that bears repetition - he was one of very few (only?) Hollywood composers who did all his own scoring simply because the intrumental timbres/combinations he had in mind were so unique that not even the most experienced/brilliant orchestrator could recreate them.  What that must have added to his personal workload/pressure given the time constraints of film composing I dread to think.

I still can't really get into his Wuthering Heights - I must try again!

I think that he recycled some of the music for his 'Jane Eyre' film score, which I like very much. I don't have 'Wuthering Heights'.