Film (movie) Music

Started by vandermolen, August 12, 2008, 12:33:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roasted Swan

Quote from: vandermolen on April 14, 2021, 08:27:04 AM
From WAYLTN thread:
Walton Henry V
I much prefer this cover to the later CD release.
Also this was the first recording of Malcolm Sargent's arrangement of the film music, which I prefer to the later and more familiar Muir Mathieson version as it includes the opening 'Globe' sequence at the start, where, in the film, the camera pans in on Elizabethan London which, in its wartime context, I find very moving:

I agree - and the whole disc is well played and recorded to boot.  I do miss the Battle sequence though in the Sargent Suite though......

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on April 14, 2021, 01:16:25 PM
I agree - and the whole disc is well played and recorded to boot.  I do miss the Battle sequence though in the Sargent Suite though......
Yes, me too. Best of all for Henry V is that Chandos 'Complete Henry V' with the late Christopher Plummer I think - but I'm very grateful to Sargent for restoring 'The Globe':
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Roy Bland

Roasted Swan

Quote from: geralmar on April 20, 2021, 09:48:32 PM
Having closely studied the first ten years of this thread I know better than risk offering recommendations ("You have a puny brain and no ears").  I'll just state I enjoy the following Christopher Young scores:

Pointless fact of the day - Clive barker (who wrote the book Hellraiser) went to school with the singer who sang at my wedding
Clive Barker wrote some of the scariest horror/fantasy fiction I have ever read - Weaveworld is brilliant AND terrifying!

geralmar

Two obscure (but not negligible) soundtracks from the 1960s:

(1966), Georges Gavarentz

(1964), Dusan Radic

Roy Bland

Music  for Gengis Khan tv series 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecwMVk7qsoY
composer should be Taro Iwashiro

Brahmsian

Listening to this marvelous box set (Disc 7)

Classic Film Scores conducted by Charles Gerhardt

Bernard Herrmann - various scores

featuring music from:

On Dangerous Ground
Citizen Kane
Beneath the 12-Mile Reef
Hangover Square
White Witch Doctor

relm1

Quote from: Roasted Swan on April 22, 2021, 12:54:04 PM
Pointless fact of the day - Clive barker (who wrote the book Hellraiser) went to school with the singer who sang at my wedding
Clive Barker wrote some of the scariest horror/fantasy fiction I have ever read - Weaveworld is brilliant AND terrifying!

Another pointless fact of the day, Chris Young was my boss!  I loved Hellraiser and Hellraiser 2 scores and enjoyed pouring over those.  He excels in the gothic horror genre.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: relm1 on April 23, 2021, 06:54:52 AM
Another pointless fact of the day, Chris Young was my boss!  I loved Hellraiser and Hellraiser 2 scores and enjoyed pouring over those.  He excels in the gothic horror genre.
Neat!  :)

Reminds me that I've been wanting to read some of Clive Barker's books.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Brahmsian

Now on to Disc 10.

Music by Miklos Rozsa from the following films:

The Red House
The Thief of Bagdad
The Lost Weekend
The Four Feathers
Double Indemnity
Knights of the Round Table
The Jungle Book
Spellbound
Ivanhoe

vandermolen

Quote from: OrchestralNut on April 23, 2021, 09:18:16 AM
Now on to Disc 10.

The Red House
The Thief of Bagdad
The Lost Weekend
The Four Feathers
Double Indemnity
The Jungle Book
Spellbound
Ivanhoe

Am very jealous that you have that set! The Double Indemnity 'doomed processional' is particularly great.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Brahmsian

Quote from: vandermolen on April 23, 2021, 09:29:29 AM
Am very jealous that you have that set! The Double Indemnity 'doomed processional' is particularly great.

Jeffrey, I don't think that particular passage is on here.

It is only the "Mrs. Dietrichson - The Conspiracy", that is on this disc from Double Indemnity.

relm1

Now on to Disc 10.

The Red House
The Thief of Bagdad
The Lost Weekend
The Four Feathers
Double Indemnity
The Jungle Book
Spellbound
Ivanhoe

This is an excellent box set.  I have most of these as individual CDs and they are fantastic and thoroughly enjoyable!

relm1

Don't dismiss me but this is a wonderful album of great music!!!  Just because the movies were stupid doesn't mean the music was bad!  Excellent composers wrote very exciting scores for these films and here they were recorded with modern orchestras and state of the art studios so give it a listen.  Ignore the strings holding up the ufo, puppet monsters and focus on the music!!

https://www.amazon.com/Monstrous-Movie-Music/dp/B000008TFS

André

Now on to Disc 10.

The Red House
The Thief of Bagdad
The Lost Weekend
The Four Feathers
Double Indemnity
The Jungle Book
Spellbound
Ivanhoe

I listened to that one today ! And 5 others this week as well  ;)

vandermolen

Quote from: relm1 on April 23, 2021, 04:18:30 PM
Don't dismiss me but this is a wonderful album of great music!!!  Just because the movies were stupid doesn't mean the music was bad!  Excellent composers wrote very exciting scores for these films and here they were recorded with modern orchestras and state of the art studios so give it a listen.  Ignore the strings holding up the ufo, puppet monsters and focus on the music!!

https://www.amazon.com/Monstrous-Movie-Music/dp/B000008TFS

I have quite a large number of horror film music CDs, some of which are excellent. Clifton Parker's 'Night of the Demon' and Georges Auric's 'Dead of Night' for starters. Frankel's 'Curse of the Werewolf' is my favourite score by that composer.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: vandermolen on April 24, 2021, 12:05:38 AM
I have quite a large number of horror film music CDs, some of which are excellent. Clifton Parker's 'Night of the Demon' and Georges Auric's 'Dead of Night' for starters. Frankel's 'Curse of the Werewolf' is my favourite score by that composer.

Have a look at the Monstrous Movie Music website - https://www.mmmrecordings.com/  .  I had no idea this existed until I followed a comment on the Amazon.com reviews of the above disc.  Very niche but clearly done with passion and care - some classic titles.  Who cares about how good the film is I want to watch "The Brain from Planet Arous"

Brahmsian

Quote from: André on April 23, 2021, 05:56:28 PM
I listened to that one today ! And 5 others this week as well  ;)

Really terrific disc, as was the Bernard Hermann one.

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on April 24, 2021, 12:58:16 AM
Have a look at the Monstrous Movie Music website - https://www.mmmrecordings.com/  .  I had no idea this existed until I followed a comment on the Amazon.com reviews of the above disc.  Very niche but clearly done with passion and care - some classic titles.  Who cares about how good the film is I want to watch "The Brain from Planet Arous"

Me too!  ;D

relm1

Wow check this out, Ferde Grofe (Grand Canyon Suite) scored a sci-fi film too!

https://www.mmmrecordings.com/Rocketship_X-M/rocketship_x-m.html