Film (movie) Music

Started by vandermolen, August 12, 2008, 12:33:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Roasted Swan

A fairly random pick for a listen today, but one I enjoyed very mcuh indeed;

NOT the most inspiring/original cover - but as they say don't judge a book......  This is basically a 2-disc compoilation taken from other discs released by Silva Screen.  So you need to go to the original releases for the full selections of for example;

but you do get here good selections very well played.  I particularly enjoyed Bax's Oliver Twist.  I've known this score - and this version - for years but haven't listened to it in ages.  Fascinating how a really authentic Baxian sound is apparent even though at this late stage of his life/career received wisdom is that he was burnt out.  Whatever the reason, Oliver Twist lit the flame again albeit briefly.  Lovely on this version to hear the very great and much missed Eric Parkin playing Harriet Cohen's solos.

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on May 05, 2021, 07:13:21 AM
A fairly random pick for a listen today, but one I enjoyed very mcuh indeed;

NOT the most inspiring/original cover - but as they say don't judge a book......  This is basically a 2-disc compoilation taken from other discs released by Silva Screen.  So you need to go to the original releases for the full selections of for example;

but you do get here good selections very well played.  I particularly enjoyed Bax's Oliver Twist.  I've known this score - and this version - for years but haven't listened to it in ages.  Fascinating how a really authentic Baxian sound is apparent even though at this late stage of his life/career received wisdom is that he was burnt out.  Whatever the reason, Oliver Twist lit the flame again albeit briefly.  Lovely on this version to hear the very great and much missed Eric Parkin playing Harriet Cohen's solos.
'The Red Shoes' album was a particular favourite.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

vandermolen

One of my favourite soundtracks - Clint Mansell 'Noah':

aligreto

Barry Lyndon

I have always really liked the treatment of Handel's music in the opening and closing credits. It was so dramatic and atmospheric.

Brahmsian

Quote from: aligreto on May 13, 2021, 01:25:41 AM
Barry Lyndon

I have always really liked the treatment of Handel's music in the opening and closing credits. It was so dramatic and atmospheric.

One of the discs that started my interest in classical music. I still have it! 🙂

aligreto

Quote from: OrchestralNut on May 13, 2021, 03:06:20 AM
One of the discs that started my interest in classical music. I still have it! 🙂

I am not surprised to read that.

Zavod

As for actual classical music, The End of Evangelion's use of Bach's Third Orchestral Suite's Air changed how I viewed it. I had never felt it as tragic music, but from then on I haven't been able to shake the gloom off it :-X

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8rOLWWJg4w

aligreto

Quote from: Zavod on May 15, 2021, 01:34:22 PM
As for actual classical music, The End of Evangelion's use of Bach's Third Orchestral Suite's Air changed how I viewed it. I had never felt it as tragic music, but from then on I haven't been able to shake the gloom off it :-X

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8rOLWWJg4w

The interpretation or assimilation of music can very often depend on the mood or context in which it is heard.

Welcome aboard, by the way  :)

Roy Bland

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Enjoying The 7th Voyage Of Sinbad, Bernard Herrmann, Royal Scottish National Orchestra/John Debney.

vandermolen

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on May 18, 2021, 07:29:16 AM
Enjoying The 7th Voyage Of Sinbad, Bernard Herrmann, Royal Scottish National Orchestra/John Debney.
Great stuff DBK!  :)

relm1

Some of you might be interested in this upcoming box set of the Bernard Herrmann Decca Phase 4 recordings.  They've always sounded great, but here they've been remastered for even better audio quality in this new box release.

https://www.amazon.com/Film-Scores-Bernard-Herrmann/dp/B09242ZMBT?tag=univemuisc-decca-21&ie=UTF8&linkCode=as2&ascsubtag=dba6f05454290f8c10853c8eb5d44743

To celebrate the 110th anniversary of the birth of Bernard Herrmann, one of the most original and distinctive composers to work in film, a 7 CD box set of his complete film score recordings for Decca's Phase 4 Stereo imprint will be released on 25 June 2021. The Film Scores On Phase 4, a collection of seven original albums recorded between 1968 and 1975, remastered from the original analogue master tapes, provides an overview of Bernard Herrmann's multifaceted musicodramatic genius and his distinctive style.

The recordings

CD1 Great Movie Thrillers
Psycho (A Narrative for Orchestra)
Marnie – Prelude & Hunting Scene
North By Northwest – Overture
Vertigo – Prelude – The Nightmare – Scène d'amour
A Portrait of 'Hitch' (from The Trouble with Harry)

CD2 Great Film Classics
Jane Eyre (selections)
The Snows of Kilimanjaro – Interlude & The Memory Waltz
Citizen Kane – Overture, Variations, Ragtime & Finale
The Devil and Daniel Webster – Sleigh-Ride
Swing Your Partners

CD3 Fantasy Film World
Music from Journey to the Centre of the Earth
The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad
The Day the Earth Stood Still
Fahrenheit 451

CD4 Great Shakespearean Films
Shostakovich: Music from the film Hamlet
Walton: Richard III Prelude
Rósza: Julius Caesar – Suite from the Incidental Music

CD5 Mysterious Film World
Mysterious Island – Suite
Music from Jason and the Argonauts
Music from The Three Worlds of Gulliver

CD6 Great British Film Music
Lambert: Anna Karenina – Suite
Bax: Oliver Twist
Benjamin: Hyde Par Galop from An Ideal Husband
Walton: Escape Me Never
Vaughan Williams: The Invaders from 49th Parallel
Bliss: Things to Come – Suite

CD7 Obsession OST

Pohjolas Daughter

Very tempting Relm!

I stumbled across this youtube video and was quite impressed and heart warmed by it.  What do you think?  It happened at a train station in Paris.  :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4I_NYya-WWg

PD

p.s.  Now I'm tempted to check out more music by Ludovico Einaudi!
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: relm1 on May 19, 2021, 05:49:26 AM
Some of you might be interested in this upcoming box set of the Bernard Herrmann Decca Phase 4 recordings.  They've always sounded great, but here they've been remastered for even better audio quality in this new box release.

https://www.amazon.com/Film-Scores-Bernard-Herrmann/dp/B09242ZMBT?tag=univemuisc-decca-21&ie=UTF8&linkCode=as2&ascsubtag=dba6f05454290f8c10853c8eb5d44743

To celebrate the 110th anniversary of the birth of Bernard Herrmann, one of the most original and distinctive composers to work in film, a 7 CD box set of his complete film score recordings for Decca's Phase 4 Stereo imprint will be released on 25 June 2021. The Film Scores On Phase 4, a collection of seven original albums recorded between 1968 and 1975, remastered from the original analogue master tapes, provides an overview of Bernard Herrmann's multifaceted musicodramatic genius and his distinctive style.

The recordings

CD1 Great Movie Thrillers
Psycho (A Narrative for Orchestra)
Marnie – Prelude & Hunting Scene
North By Northwest – Overture
Vertigo – Prelude – The Nightmare – Scène d'amour
A Portrait of 'Hitch' (from The Trouble with Harry)

CD2 Great Film Classics
Jane Eyre (selections)
The Snows of Kilimanjaro – Interlude & The Memory Waltz
Citizen Kane – Overture, Variations, Ragtime & Finale
The Devil and Daniel Webster – Sleigh-Ride
Swing Your Partners

CD3 Fantasy Film World
Music from Journey to the Centre of the Earth
The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad
The Day the Earth Stood Still
Fahrenheit 451

CD4 Great Shakespearean Films
Shostakovich: Music from the film Hamlet
Walton: Richard III Prelude
Rósza: Julius Caesar – Suite from the Incidental Music

CD5 Mysterious Film World
Mysterious Island – Suite
Music from Jason and the Argonauts
Music from The Three Worlds of Gulliver

CD6 Great British Film Music
Lambert: Anna Karenina – Suite
Bax: Oliver Twist
Benjamin: Hyde Par Galop from An Ideal Husband
Walton: Escape Me Never
Vaughan Williams: The Invaders from 49th Parallel
Bliss: Things to Come – Suite

CD7 Obsession OST
Oh wow! I bought the (excellent) British Film Music one on LP when I was working at the music department of a department store in London.

Roasted Swan

A first listen to a recent purchase;

What a great fun disc!  I'm not actually much of a fan of these old "horror" films but goodness me these scores are so evocative and make you realise how much the style of the music actually defines the mood of the entire film from 'mad' organ playing to shuddering strings.  The Slovak RSO can on occasion sound a bit under rehearsed but here they really play with great flair....

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on May 25, 2021, 03:46:20 AM
A first listen to a recent purchase;

What a great fun disc!  I'm not actually much of a fan of these old "horror" films but goodness me these scores are so evocative and make you realise how much the style of the music actually defines the mood of the entire film from 'mad' organ playing to shuddering strings.  The Slovak RSO can on occasion sound a bit under rehearsed but here they really play with great flair....
Looks like an essential purchase to me RS! I love those old horror films and, as a child, was obsessed with them, even forcing my father to join the 'Gothic Film Society' in Holborn and take me along!

André

It's truly excellent. I listened to it 3 months ago, I think.