Film (movie) Music

Started by vandermolen, August 12, 2008, 12:33:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W.A. Mozart and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

VonStupp

I didn't know John Williams had made a 10-minute, 4-movement orchestral suite The Mission from his NBC News commissions.

If you can get over hearing the familiar strains of Meet the Press, Nightly News, and The Today Show, this is really quite compelling music in a long form.

https://youtube.com/v/cqxNdtMpqUk&ab_channel=TrevorGrismore
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Mirror Image

Quote from: VonStupp on July 05, 2021, 06:37:45 AM
I didn't know that John Williams made a 10-minute, 4-movement The Mission orchestral suite from his NBC News commissions.

If you can get over hearing the familiar strains of Meet the Press, Nightly News, and The Today Show, this is really quite compelling music in a long form.

https://youtube.com/v/cqxNdtMpqUk&ab_channel=TrevorGrismore

I'd first have to get over the fact that I'd be listening to John Williams. ;)

VonStupp

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 05, 2021, 06:41:06 AM
I'd first have to get over the fact that I'd be listening to John Williams. ;)

Liking John Williams' brand of music making is a prerequisite!

Mirror Image

Quote from: VonStupp on July 05, 2021, 06:45:34 AM
Liking John Williams' brand of music making is a prerequisite!

Absolutely! ;D

vandermolen

Am enjoying this memorable and atmospheric score this morning (from WAYLYN thread):
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Roasted Swan

Although not marketed as a disc of film music this rerelease is a delight from start to finish;

A real highlight of this Marco Polo (latterly Naxos) British Light Music Series - played and conducted with skill and understanding of the genre.  Tom Brown's Schooldays has a great Overture and the Prince and the Showgirl is a fun medley!

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on July 06, 2021, 08:57:09 AM
Although not marketed as a disc of film music this rerelease is a delight from start to finish;

A real highlight of this Marco Polo (latterly Naxos) British Light Music Series - played and conducted with skill and understanding of the genre.  Tom Brown's Schooldays has a great Overture and the Prince and the Showgirl is a fun medley!
RS does this contain more of the 'Mr Chips' soundtrack that has already appeared on Marco Polo on Naxos?
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Roasted Swan

Quote from: vandermolen on July 08, 2021, 03:39:31 AM
RS does this contain more of the 'Mr Chips' soundtrack that has already appeared on Marco Polo on Naxos?

This is a straight re-release of this disc;

the Mr Chips excerpt is just that - the 3 minute main theme.  Somehow I'd missed the original Marco Polo release but this is a gem - interesting/evocative repertoire very well played and well recorded.

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on July 08, 2021, 02:00:32 PM
This is a straight re-release of this disc;

the Mr Chips excerpt is just that - the 3 minute main theme.  Somehow I'd missed the original Marco Polo release but this is a gem - interesting/evocative repertoire very well played and well recorded.
OK - many thanks RS. I'd have liked to hear a fuller treatment of the soundtrack.

vandermolen

Currently enjoying this (movie was on TV this afternoon):

Cato

Quote from: vandermolen on July 10, 2021, 01:51:24 PM
Currently enjoying this (movie was on TV this afternoon):

Excellent movie!

For some reason an impulse to revisit this score by Dmitiri Tiomkin arose in me: the sequence "Stampede" is given a slam-dunk performance by the Moscow Symphony, but the whole score is performed quite well!

https://www.youtube.com/v/11uxgnwr-Bs
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

vers la flamme

Just wanted to put in a good word for this disc of film music by Alfred Schnittke, who wrote tons of it...:

Reckon it might make a good introduction to Schnittke for those who are interested, but intimidated by the length (and insanity) of the First Symphony, or the unrelenting bleakness of the late works.

relm1

Quote from: vers la flamme on July 11, 2021, 04:57:41 AM
Just wanted to put in a good word for this disc of film music by Alfred Schnittke, who wrote tons of it...:

Reckon it might make a good introduction to Schnittke for those who are interested, but intimidated by the length (and insanity) of the First Symphony, or the unrelenting bleakness of the late works.

And fine he was at it.  An excellent heir to the wonderful film music of Prokofiev and Shostakovich in how Schnittke's film music is of equal quality to his concert music.

André

Quote from: relm1 on July 11, 2021, 05:30:39 AM
And fine he was at it.  An excellent heir to the wonderful film music of Prokofiev and Shostakovich in how Schnittke's film music is of equal quality to his concert music.

+1. A superb disc. There's also a hugely excellent multi-disc set on Capriccio  :)

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Is this the face of Rasputin? Scary.

vandermolen

Yes, I agree and many thanks for John MI for introducing me to it:

Currently enjoying Malcolm Arnold's score for 'David Copperfield' (1970):

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on July 13, 2021, 12:40:41 AM
Yes, I agree and many thanks for John MI for introducing me to it:

Currently enjoying Malcolm Arnold's score for 'David Copperfield' (1970):

I didn't know that Schnittke had written film music before.  When, roughly, did he do this?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

André

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 13, 2021, 09:37:29 AM
I didn't know that Schnittke had written film music before.  When, roughly, did he do this?

PD

Schnittke composed film music throughout his career.

This is what you want, PD: no duplication with the CPO disc, and very different style also. 4 discs for a discounted price. Available singly, but you'd end up buying them all anyway  ;).

Pohjolas Daughter

Thank you for the recommendation André!  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

VonStupp

Malcolm Arnold
Film Music, Vol. 2
BBC Philharmonic - Rumon Gamba

Listening this morning: