Film (movie) Music

Started by vandermolen, August 12, 2008, 12:33:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

André

Rosi was known mostly for his quasi-documentary political films. He was a master of the genre.

Carmen was a surprising departure from his previous style and interests. Along with Losey's Don Giovanni it is one of the few successful adaptations of an opera on film.

Pohjolas Daughter

Greatly enjoyed the film score to the movie Shutter Island.  Features music by Penderecki, Ligeti, John Adams, Cage, Mahler and others.

Now I have to hear Mahler's Quartet for Piano and Strings in A minor--which I haven't heard before!  The recording used was by the Prazak Quartet in the movie.

Anyone else here impressed with the soundtrack?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Brahmsian

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 20, 2021, 09:07:41 AM
Greatly enjoyed the film score to the movie Shutter Island.  Features music by Penderecki, Ligeti, John Adams, Cage, Mahler and others.

Now I have to hear Mahler's Quartet for Piano and Strings in A minor--which I haven't heard before!  The recording used was by the Prazak Quartet in the movie.

Anyone else here impressed with the soundtrack?

PD

Although I don't have the soundtrack, the music is terrific, isn't it?  :)

And I love the Mahler Piano Quartet. I have the recording of it that came with the EMI complete Mahler Edition, so thus it is performed by the Domus Quartet.

Of course, I also have Penderecki's 3rd symphony (conducted by Antoni Wit).  Don't know who is the performance in the film?

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: OrchestralNut on October 20, 2021, 09:27:58 AM
Although I don't have the soundtrack, the music is terrific, isn't it?  :)

And I love the Mahler Piano Quartet. I have the recording of it that came with the EMI complete Mahler Edition, so thus it is performed by the Domus Quartet.

Of course, I also have Penderecki's 3rd symphony (conducted by Antoni Wit).  Don't know who is the performance in the film?
I found this:  Performed by Narodowa Orkiestra Symfoniczna Polskiego Radia w Katowicach (as National Polish Radio Symphony)
Conducted by Antoni Wit (as Antonio Wit)
Courtesy of Naxos by arrangement with Source/Q

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Brahmsian

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 20, 2021, 09:31:02 AM
I found this:  Performed by Narodowa Orkiestra Symfoniczna Polskiego Radia w Katowicach (as National Polish Radio Symphony)
Conducted by Antoni Wit (as Antonio Wit)
Courtesy of Naxos by arrangement with Source/Q

PD

Ah ok, so it is the same performance.

Roy Bland

Roy Bland

aligreto

Vangelis: Blade Runner [Esper Edition]

I have been listening to the music of Vangelis since the 1970s so I am quite familiar with his musical language and the atmosphere that his music can create. However, I have not seen this film so I cannot put this music into context. 

relm1

This one is fantastic early Horner.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: aligreto on February 02, 2022, 10:27:43 AM
Vangelis: Blade Runner [Esper Edition]

I have been listening to the music of Vangelis since the 1970s so I am quite familiar with his musical language and the atmosphere that his music can create. However, I have not seen this film so I cannot put this music into context.

If you are a Sci-Fi fan of any kind Bladerunner should be on your "must watch" list

aligreto

State of Play:

This film is a political thriller with a number of twists and turns. It kept me entertained for its duration.

aligreto

Quote from: Roasted Swan on February 03, 2022, 11:36:30 PM
If you are a Sci-Fi fan of any kind Bladerunner should be on your "must watch" list

I am, but I have an issue with Harrison Ford acting.

vandermolen

From WAYLTN thread:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Roy Bland

will they start a series of political film recordings?

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Roy Bland on February 21, 2022, 07:03:48 PM
will they start a series of political film recordings?

Hopefully so! And more so in these times.  >:(   :'(
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Roy Bland

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on February 21, 2022, 07:39:12 PM
Hopefully so! And more so in these times.  >:(   :'(
I don't disagree but I ask: what is a political film?Alexander Nevsky?: Six Days of the Condor?Sum of all fears (great score of late Goldsmith)? Gorky Park?The conversation (Good D.Shire)?Meeting on Elba?Rocky IV? Z by Costa Gavras?  we limit ourselves to politically committed composers?Lalo Schifrin scored Che Guevara but also Mission Impossible (apology of CIA)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7odg9D3eII

IMHO would be better separate art and political controversy but I know that this cannot happen

vandermolen

Now playing:
'Tolkien' a characteristically soulful score by Thomas Newman:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

fbjim

Now playing: John Barry's finest score, On His Majesty's Secret Service, which is also one of the first uses of moog in a film score.

Roy Bland

Quote from: fbjim on April 04, 2022, 08:56:35 AM
Now playing: John Barry's finest score, On His Majesty's Secret Service, which is also one of the first uses of moog in a film score.
Agree totally I saw when I was twelve best  sequence on snow and best soundtrack! Piz Gloria