Author Topic: Film (movie) Music  (Read 215176 times)

Offline André

• Veteran member
Re: Film (movie) Music
« Reply #1420 on: October 06, 2021, 04:01:51 PM »
Rosi was known mostly for his quasi-documentary political films. He was a master of the genre.

Carmen was a surprising departure from his previous style and interests. Along with Losey’s Don Giovanni it is one of the few successful adaptations of an opera on film.

Offline Pohjolas Daughter

• Veteran member
« Reply #1421 on: October 20, 2021, 09:07:41 AM »
Greatly enjoyed the film score to the movie Shutter Island.  Features music by Penderecki, Ligeti, John Adams, Cage, Mahler and others.

Now I have to hear Mahler's Quartet for Piano and Strings in A minor--which I haven't heard before!  The recording used was by the Prazak Quartet in the movie.

Anyone else here impressed with the soundtrack?

PD

Offline OrchestralNut

• Veteran member
  • Krzysztof Penderecki (1933-2020)
« Reply #1422 on: October 20, 2021, 09:27:58 AM »
Greatly enjoyed the film score to the movie Shutter Island.  Features music by Penderecki, Ligeti, John Adams, Cage, Mahler and others.

Now I have to hear Mahler's Quartet for Piano and Strings in A minor--which I haven't heard before!  The recording used was by the Prazak Quartet in the movie.

Anyone else here impressed with the soundtrack?

PD

Although I don't have the soundtrack, the music is terrific, isn't it?  :)

And I love the Mahler Piano Quartet. I have the recording of it that came with the EMI complete Mahler Edition, so thus it is performed by the Domus Quartet.

Of course, I also have Penderecki's 3rd symphony (conducted by Antoni Wit).  Don't know who is the performance in the film?

Offline Pohjolas Daughter

• Veteran member
« Reply #1423 on: October 20, 2021, 09:31:02 AM »
Although I don't have the soundtrack, the music is terrific, isn't it?  :)

And I love the Mahler Piano Quartet. I have the recording of it that came with the EMI complete Mahler Edition, so thus it is performed by the Domus Quartet.

Of course, I also have Penderecki's 3rd symphony (conducted by Antoni Wit).  Don't know who is the performance in the film?
I found this:  Performed by Narodowa Orkiestra Symfoniczna Polskiego Radia w Katowicach (as National Polish Radio Symphony)
Conducted by Antoni Wit (as Antonio Wit)
Courtesy of Naxos by arrangement with Source/Q

PD

Offline OrchestralNut

• Veteran member
  • Krzysztof Penderecki (1933-2020)
« Reply #1424 on: October 20, 2021, 09:33:38 AM »
I found this:  Performed by Narodowa Orkiestra Symfoniczna Polskiego Radia w Katowicach (as National Polish Radio Symphony)
Conducted by Antoni Wit (as Antonio Wit)
Courtesy of Naxos by arrangement with Source/Q

PD

Ah ok, so it is the same performance.