Film (movie) Music

Started by vandermolen, August 12, 2008, 12:33:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Now playing - Mark Isham's poignant score to 'The Browning version' (Albert Finney version):
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Roasted Swan

A reasonably recent acquisition but only the first listen today;

What a fun score! (don't know the film at all).  I think to the innocent ear - even one expert in film scores - you'd have trouble identifying this as by Bernard Herrmann.  A lot of the cues are wonderfully pastiche -baroque (kind of).  Think Handel Watermusic written for big orchestra......  Then suddenly there is a cue or two which is more "The Mysterious World of Bernard Herrmann" - one called "Clouds" and another "Fire" jump out and then a couple are good old cinematic schmaltz.  Whatever - its a genuinely enjoyable soundtrack and one that gets typically fine treatment from McNeely with the RSNO very well recorded.  There are a whole series of these complete new re-recordings and all the ones I've heard are very fine.  The main trouble is availability and cost - I snap them up if/when cheap copies appear....

VonStupp

Quote from: Karl Henning on March 12, 2023, 04:37:34 PMThe Borodin always—but always—makes me smile, thinking about how I first heard of the Polovtsian [Dances] courtesy of John Williams.

At least I can get this collection on 8-track!  ;D

This reminds me that I knew the cheesy crooned versions of movie themes way before I ever saw the actual movies. Most of them were sung by Andy Williams, I think.

The Theme from 'Exodus', The Theme from 'The Godfather', and the love theme from 'Superman' come immediately to mind. My kids love singing 'This Land is Mine' with Andy Williams at full volume!

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

vandermolen

Now Playing:
'Tolkien' Soundtrack by Thomas Newman (son of Alfred)
A typically emotive soundtrack, not unlike that for The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Roy Bland

Roasted Swan

I think Death of Stalin is a tremendous film - darkly comedic in a rather disturbing way.  Complimenting it is the score by Christopher Willis;

I don't think I know any of Willis' other work but this is such a gleeful pastiche of Shostakovich that it is both effective in its filmic context but also a really brilliant re-creation of the DSCH sound and style.  Different cues clearly are "in the style of" specific DSCH works from several of ther symphonies, the piano preludes and fugues and even the string quartets.  Its a very short OST - barely 30 minutes but packed with memorable cues.

Roy Bland

IMHO Michel Magne was an enormous talent sadly he could not take full advantage of it

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Roy Bland on May 24, 2023, 06:26:56 AMIMHO Michel Magne was an enormous talent sadly he could not take full advantage of it

I don't know the name/works - what did he write and what makes you say he did not fulfill his talent?

Roy Bland

Certainly he was one of the best composers of French film music in the 60s and 70s, incomprehensibly there is no site dedicated to him so I have to resort

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michel_Magne

an example of his work

as a composer he adopted infra sound music that should have reached the nerve centers directly (I can't say if it's true)

resource
http://www.ernould.com/Artigrou/magne.html

CD SUGGESTED

W.A. Mozart

Quote from: 71 dB on November 09, 2022, 04:59:55 AMThe problem with movie soundtracks is that they go OOP almost immediately and there is almost never re-releases unless it is a John Williams score or something similar. So, collecting soundtracks is expensive as hell. So, soundtracks for me are kind of a forbidden area of music. You can enter it only if you are lucky (you know you want to buy it when it is released, not years decades later).

Do you know that you can find almost all soundtracks in youtube?

Roy Bland

I forgot to post this of Michel Magne, Carmen remake as Red detachment of women it near killed me of laughing

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Roy Bland on May 24, 2023, 08:24:55 PMCertainly he was one of the best composers of French film music in the 60s and 70s, incomprehensibly there is no site dedicated to him so I have to resort

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michel_Magne

an example of his work

as a composer he adopted infra sound music that should have reached the nerve centers directly (I can't say if it's true)

resource
http://www.ernould.com/Artigrou/magne.html

CD SUGGESTED

Thankyou for posting this - I was very interested to hear these YouTube links but in all honesty I can't say it floated my boat this time......

vandermolen

I wanted to put in a word in support of this CD which I have owned for years (it is very inexpensive on Amazon.com)
It features very fine performances of Copland's 'Quiet City' and the Suite from the Red Pony as well as John Williams's moving score from 'Born on the Fourth of July' as well as an extended arrangement (c.19 mins) of music from 'The Reivers' - this is worth having for the charming narration by Burgess Meredith, who has featured in GMG forum discussions recently:

Roasted Swan

Quote from: vandermolen on May 27, 2023, 01:28:33 AMI wanted to put in a word in support of this CD which I have owned for years (it is very inexpensive on Amazon.com)
It features very fine performances of Copland's 'Quiet City' and the Suite from the Red Pony as well as John Williams's moving score from 'Born on the Fourth of July' as well as an extended arrangement (c.19 mins) of music from 'The Reivers' - this is worth having for the charming narration by Burgess Meredith, who has featured in GMG forum discussions recently:

When you mentioned this disc recently I went and bought  a cheap marketplace copy - yet to arrrive.  Those Sony/Williams/Boston Pops recordings are almost universally very fine whether its show tunes/Hollywood/Classic Pops both the feel for the music and the playing and recordings are top notch.

As an aside - do you know Previn's "Red Pony" suite?  Literally his 1st "Classical" recording in St Louis for CBS coupled with the Sinfonia da Requiem that you mentioned in your recent Sony British Music box (also very fine)

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on May 27, 2023, 02:50:53 AMWhen you mentioned this disc recently I went and bought  a cheap marketplace copy - yet to arrrive.  Those Sony/Williams/Boston Pops recordings are almost universally very fine whether its show tunes/Hollywood/Classic Pops both the feel for the music and the playing and recordings are top notch.

As an aside - do you know Previn's "Red Pony" suite?  Literally his 1st "Classical" recording in St Louis for CBS coupled with the Sinfonia da Requiem that you mentioned in your recent Sony British Music box (also very fine)

Yes indeed I do RS. Previn's 'Red Pony' is indeed very good. He composed film scores himself and has an intuitive understanding. I had the LP with the charming Red Pony in the centre and the lowering clouds 'Sinfonia da Requiem' above! A great LP. I also have that Sony Essential Classics CD also featuring Adlai Stevenson's fine narration of A Lincoln Portrait (and the double CD set  ::) ).
PS I hope that your copy of the John Williams, Boston Pops CD arrives soon.
PPS Sadly it doesn't include him conducting his own 'Hymn to the Fallen'! ;D

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Roasted Swan on May 27, 2023, 02:50:53 AMWhen you mentioned this disc recently I went and bought  a cheap marketplace copy - yet to arrrive.  Those Sony/Williams/Boston Pops recordings are almost universally very fine whether its show tunes/Hollywood/Classic Pops both the feel for the music and the playing and recordings are top notch.

Love the Red Pony Suite and pleased to hear that you like the Boston Pops too!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Roasted Swan

Quote from: vandermolen on May 27, 2023, 01:28:33 AMI wanted to put in a word in support of this CD which I have owned for years (it is very inexpensive on Amazon.com)

Completely the fault of Jeffrey/Vandermolen (he made me buy the disc really) my copy of "Music for Stage & Screen" arrived and I listened to it today....... its WONDERFUL!  Great disc.  The music is excellent but also the combination of John Williams conducting the Boston Pops just crackles with energy and "rightness".  The engineering is top drawer too so all in all this is an excellent disc.  As discussed Burgess Meredith hits exactly the right warmly nostalgic note for his narration of what is in effect an extended suite from The Reivers.  Not a film I know at all but Williams' score is another gem.  As is his "Born on the 4th of July" with some stunningly evocative and moving trumpet playing.  The Red Pony is a winner too.  Quiet City has never been a favourite Copland score of mine but this is another fine version. 

Earlier in the week I listened to another Williams/Boston Pops film compilation.... all the usual suspects; Star Wars/Superman/Raiders/Gone with the Wind.  But SO well played with verve and energy and feeling.  What great music - guaranteed to put a smile on your face and a spring in your step.

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on June 03, 2023, 11:42:27 AMCompletely the fault of Jeffrey/Vandermolen (he made me buy the disc really) my copy of "Music for Stage & Screen" arrived and I listened to it today....... its WONDERFUL!  Great disc.  The music is excellent but also the combination of John Williams conducting the Boston Pops just crackles with energy and "rightness".  The engineering is top drawer too so all in all this is an excellent disc.  As discussed Burgess Meredith hits exactly the right warmly nostalgic note for his narration of what is in effect an extended suite from The Reivers.  Not a film I know at all but Williams' score is another gem.  As is his "Born on the 4th of July" with some stunningly evocative and moving trumpet playing.  The Red Pony is a winner too.  Quiet City has never been a favourite Copland score of mine but this is another fine version. 

Earlier in the week I listened to another Williams/Boston Pops film compilation.... all the usual suspects; Star Wars/Superman/Raiders/Gone with the Wind.  But SO well played with verve and energy and feeling.  What great music - guaranteed to put a smile on your face and a spring in your step.
I knew  that you would enjoy it RS! It is a very special disc which I have played many times with great pleasure. Coincidentally I was browsing through my copy of the, long defunct, 'Gramophone Film Music Good CD Guide'(1998) when I came across a very enthusiastic review of the CD. I'll try and attach it. I'm sorry that it has come out sideways up - you may have to stand on your head to read it!

vers la flamme

I just watched North by Northwest for the first time last night. Great movie, great Bernard Herrmann soundtrack.

vandermolen

Quote from: vers la flamme on June 04, 2023, 06:35:09 AMI just watched North by Northwest for the first time last night. Great movie, great Bernard Herrmann soundtrack.
I like this CD: