Film (movie) Music

Started by vandermolen, August 12, 2008, 12:33:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cato

Quote from: Andy D. on August 06, 2019, 12:39:22 AM

Have you ever checked out lesser known scores by John Williams like.... The Fury...The Fury is out and out totally epic).

The Fury
is one of my favorite 1970's movies from Brian DePalmaKirk Douglas, John Cassavetes, and Charles Durning  Yes, a wild and epic ride, and the score by John Williams is appropriately eerie and epic.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Andy D.

Quote from: Cato on August 06, 2019, 04:03:38 AM

The Fury
is one of my favorite 1970's movies from Brian DePalma[/b.  Kirk Douglas, John Cassavetes, and Charles Durning  Yes, a wild and epic ride, and the score by John Williams is appropriately eerie and epic.

I liked how the movie wasn't at all typical horror or even action fare, DePalma really was great when he was on. The Fury is terrific as a score, excellent music and super entertaining, just further verification of John's elite skills. Another great one is Jaws 2, which didn't rely as much on the original's motifs.

I love the Golden and Silver age film composers the best, because so many of them were very much influenced by Wagner, Richard Strauss, Tchaikovsky, Shosty. I don't hear the high level of compositional ability in film scores today; the trend these days seems geared more toward a cold minimalism...and I don't want to overly criticize a musical movement that in retrospect might be strongly indicative of today's Zeitgeist.

Roy Bland

IMHO this is De Masi's best score beautiful orchestral pages exotic themes and good developement

http://www.beatrecords.it/shop.asp?idprodotto=KRONGOLD003&lingua=e

ChopinBroccoli

I always enjoyed the menacing, brassy 12-tone extravaganza David Shire came up with for The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3 (1974) ... classic 70s vibe, a great NY movie

Lalo Schifrin's music for Bullitt was great, too
"If it ain't Baroque, don't fix it!"
- Handel

ChopinBroccoli

It's pretty generic by their standards, but Ellington/Strayhorn Anatomy of a Murder is fun
"If it ain't Baroque, don't fix it!"
- Handel

Roy Bland

kyjo

Recently discovered the absolutely delightful score for the children's film Rikki Tikki Tavi by Schnittke, with a wondrously catchy main title, a thrilling Rescue scene, an atmospheric Night scene, and more. There's some tastes of the "real" Schnittke but it's a predominantly straightforward, enjoyable score. Simply some of the most stunningly imaginative film music I've heard!

https://youtu.be/LD29SEOh8E0
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Mirror Image

I've probably mentioned this film score before, but I'll mention it again, but I think Takemitsu' Ran is absolutely incredible. I say you should run to purchase Ran and you can hear it for yourself. It's still available fortunately:

[asin]B01KYN7W9E[/asin]

San Antone

These probably have already been mentioned, but they are the first that come to mind for me.

Cinema Paradiso - Morricone

https://www.youtube.com/v/1FzVWlOKeLs

Schindler's List - Williams

https://www.youtube.com/v/YqVRcFQagtI

relm1

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 22, 2019, 06:36:37 AM
I've probably mentioned this film score before, but I'll mention it again, but I think Takemitsu' Ran is absolutely incredible. I say you should run to purchase Ran and you can hear it for yourself. It's still available fortunately:

[asin]B01KYN7W9E[/asin]

Fantastic music!  I worked on this in some small way.  There was a concert performance of the suite that I had to take Takemitsu's hand written score and transcribe for orchestra for modern performances and fell under its spell. Very magical music this!  :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: relm1 on December 22, 2019, 04:29:52 PM
Fantastic music!  I worked on this in some small way.  There was a concert performance of the suite that I had to take Takemitsu's hand written score and transcribe for orchestra for modern performances and fell under its spell. Very magical music this!  :)

Awesome. Yes, it's a fantastic work. Love Takemitsu's music.

vandermolen

A fine alternative to the Walton score for Henry V:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

relm1

Quote from: vandermolen on February 17, 2020, 06:10:54 AM
A fine alternative to the Walton score for Henry V:

An excellent movie too!  But the score is also great.

vandermolen

Quote from: relm1 on February 17, 2020, 04:26:17 PM
An excellent movie too!  But the score is also great.

Must watch it again. I love the opening when Henry V first appears accompanied by my favourite moment of the score (track 1 on the soundtrack CD)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Andy D. on August 06, 2019, 03:26:22 AM
Those are all great. The 451 has a terrific sound via modern technology...can't recommend that strongly enough. A tremendous effort.
Thanks (belatedly). I'll look out for a copy of that one.

Roy Bland

De Masi is very underrated:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVOG0soS3kk

Roy Bland

Great work well played

Also movie is interesting and spectacular

André

Thanks for your suggestions, Roy. They are always interesting.  :)

vandermolen

Currently enjoying this (Laurence Rosenthal). Watched the movie with much pleasure a couple of nights ago. The 1981 film is IMO so much better than the forgettable recent version and the music adds to the escapist fantasy element of the film.

André

Quote from: vandermolen on April 28, 2020, 01:30:27 PM
Currently enjoying this (Laurence Rosenthal). Watched the movie with much pleasure a couple of nights ago. The 1981 film is IMO so much better than the forgettable recent version and the music adds to the escapist fantasy element of the film.

Makes me think of Conan the Barbarian with its superb score by Basil Poledouris - which you made me discover  ;)