Film (movie) Music

Started by vandermolen, August 12, 2008, 12:33:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: André on April 28, 2020, 05:48:01 PM
Makes me think of Conan the Barbarian with its superb score by Basil Poledouris - which you made me discover  ;)

Oh, I'd forgotten that. That is an even greater score - quite a classic really. I've even heard the Poledouris score compared, not unreasonably I think, to Prokofiev's 'Alexander Nevsky'.
:)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Currently playing. A reissue of the original soundtrack on the Milan label with impressive sound quality:

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on April 28, 2020, 01:30:27 PM
Currently enjoying this (Laurence Rosenthal). Watched the movie with much pleasure a couple of nights ago. The 1981 film is IMO so much better than the forgettable recent version and the music adds to the escapist fantasy element of the film.

I love that film, Jeffrey. One of my favorites from my childhood. And, yes, the recent remake is garbage.

Roy Bland

pjme

Thanks Roy, for the link!
Never heard of Hundra before. ... The book music is better than the movie !

https://www.youtube.com/v/uMcNR2DUhwI

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hundra

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 04, 2020, 02:16:44 PM
I love that film, Jeffrey. One of my favorites from my childhood. And, yes, the recent remake is garbage.
The original 'stop-start' animation of 'Jason and the Argonauts' was also incomparably better that recent versions. Also with a fine score by Bernard Herrmann.

Roy Bland

Bruno Nicolai made a tasty parody of Radetzkymarch illustrating a massacre of austrian soldiers in Mexico
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGGf6z-Vunk

vandermolen

Now playing - Dario Marianelli 'Darkest Hour'. They showed the film on TV last night for obvious reasons which encouraged me to play the inspiring soundtrack again. Interesting that it was released on DGG. His music for 'Everest' was also excellent:

Added later, in the same spirit - marvellous cover image. Soundtrack is only 30 mins but I find it very moving: now playing: Chris Roe's score for 'Spitfire':

vandermolen

From WAYLTN thread:
I don't recall ever having a compilation film music album where I have enjoyed every track, however this one (original soundtrack recordings) certainly comes into that category:

Roy Bland

relm1

This is a suite from my score to a dramatic short film scored for solo violin and strings. 

https://clyp.it/5ccvkixp

vandermolen

Quote from: relm1 on September 22, 2020, 04:36:15 PM
This is a suite from my score to a dramatic short film scored for solo violin and strings. 

https://clyp.it/5ccvkixp

Soulful and moving music which held my attention. Thanks for posting it.

pjme

Quote from: Roy Bland on September 22, 2020, 04:32:05 PM
Good work!

That is very interesting Roy!
I have an old (ca 1950-1960) radio recording of Pierre Capdevielle's score for "Les épaves retrouvées", another early Cousteau film.

"Capdevielle commencera dès l'année suivante à travailler sur une suite symphonique en quatre tableaux, Épaves retrouvées, suite qui reprendra les sujets musicaux de ce film et qui sera créée en 1952 aux Concerts Pasdeloup sous la direction de Pierre Dervaux." from Wiki.

it is a quite substantial work at nearly 30 minutes . Franz André conducts the (former) BRT Symphony Orch.

Peter

Roasted Swan

The new BBC Music Magazine includes a list of the "Top 10 Film Composers".  Lists like this are ALWAYS about the composers left out and as such are usually a cause for irritation rather than anything else.  But in this instance it is LAUGHABLE that Korngold does not even make the top 10!!!!!  Steiner is deemed No.1 but a list that does include Rachel Portman, Maurice Jarre and Hans Zimmer (all important but none genre defining) cannot find room for Korngold, Waxman, Tiomkin, Rozsa let alone Elfman, Horner, Silvestri blah blah blah.  Korngold literally LITERALLY (along with Steiner and Waxman) created the sound that we now associate with the big symphonic film score.  These lists always provoke debate but that is plain wrong.

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on September 29, 2020, 09:02:46 AM
The new BBC Music Magazine includes a list of the "Top 10 Film Composers".  Lists like this are ALWAYS about the composers left out and as such are usually a cause for irritation rather than anything else.  But in this instance it is LAUGHABLE that Korngold does not even make the top 10!!!!!  Steiner is deemed No.1 but a list that does include Rachel Portman, Maurice Jarre and Hans Zimmer (all important but none genre defining) cannot find room for Korngold, Waxman, Tiomkin, Rozsa let alone Elfman, Horner, Silvestri blah blah blah.  Korngold literally LITERALLY (along with Steiner and Waxman) created the sound that we now associate with the big symphonic film score.  These lists always provoke debate but that is plain wrong.

Why don't you write in? My reaction was the same as yours when I saw the list. Was Bernard Herrmann included?

Roasted Swan

Quote from: vandermolen on September 29, 2020, 09:22:49 AM
Why don't you write in? My reaction was the same as yours when I saw the list. Was Bernard Herrmann included?

Herrmann is (rightly) there.  I do accept that there will always be debate about some of the names and the order they are in, but to omit Korngold simply displays ignorance, crassness or stupidity.   But they include "the Japanese John Williams" instead.  I'm sure his music is excellent but NOT influential in the global sense that Korngold was (and still is in cinematic terms).

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on September 29, 2020, 09:27:56 AM
Herrmann is (rightly) there.  I do accept that there will always be debate about some of the names and the order they are in, but to omit Korngold simply displays ignorance, crassness or stupidity.   But they include "the Japanese John Williams" instead.  I'm sure his music is excellent but NOT influential in the global sense that Korngold was (and still is in cinematic terms).
Leaving out Waxman and Rozsa is unforgivable. I bet it's a generational thing and shows little sense of the history of film music.

André

Herrmann, Waxman, Korngold, Tiomkin, Rota, Morricone, Legrand, Williams, Chaplin, Jarre.

The antechamber is full of suitors, of course  :D.

vandermolen

Quote from: André on September 29, 2020, 10:28:09 AM
Herrmann, Waxman, Korngold, Tiomkin, Rota, Morricone, Legrand, Williams, Chaplin, Jarre.

The antechamber is full of suitors, of course  :D.

Indeed - not to forget Poledouris.