Film (movie) Music

Started by vandermolen, August 12, 2008, 12:33:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

relm1

Quote from: vandermolen on February 20, 2021, 06:24:34 AM
I think that he recycled some of the music for his 'Jane Eyre' film score, which I like very much. I don't have 'Wuthering Heights'.

The better performance is the Pro Arte performance under the composer's direction.  It's on youtube and yes he recycled some interludes and such in the opera, also from The Ghost and Mrs. Muir.  Think of this like his version of Ralph Vaughan Williams' Pilgrims Progress in that how material from radio performances, symphonies, stage works were recycled/lifted but clearly was something he cherished and put his soul into nonetheless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OoZ3FIN3DE&list=PLK1RsnvOSehRljVpmu7-y8nP0V0dzMeKw

vandermolen

Quote from: relm1 on February 20, 2021, 06:44:31 AM
The better performance is the Pro Arte performance under the composer's direction.  It's on youtube and yes he recycled some interludes and such in the opera, also from The Ghost and Mrs. Muir.  Think of this like his version of Ralph Vaughan Williams' Pilgrims Progress in that how material from radio performances, symphonies, stage works were recycled/lifted but clearly was something he cherished and put his soul into nonetheless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OoZ3FIN3DE&list=PLK1RsnvOSehRljVpmu7-y8nP0V0dzMeKw

Thanks. That's an interesting point about VW's 'Pilgrim's Progress'. I recall that Herrmann sent the LP boxed set to Sir Arthur Bliss, who sent a polite but not especially enthusiastic letter back. I'd like to hear the opera. Herrmann's score for 'The Ghost and Mrs Muir' is my favourite.
Coincidentally I thoroughly enjoyed listening to this CD which I receved (very inexpensively) today. It allows me to hear much more of the instrumentation that on the original soundtrack recording. One section even reminded me of Vaughan Williams's 'A London Symphony':
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on February 22, 2021, 06:18:47 AM
Thanks. That's an interesting point about VW's 'Pilgrim's Progress'. I recall that Herrmann sent the LP boxed set to Sir Arthur Bliss, who sent a polite but not especially enthusiastic letter back. I'd like to hear the opera. Herrmann's score for 'The Ghost and Mrs Muir' is my favourite.
Coincidentally I thoroughly enjoyed listening to this CD which I receved (very inexpensively) today. It allows me to hear much more of the instrumentation that on the original soundtrack recording. One section even reminded me of Vaughan Williams's 'A London Symphony':

I remember going with a female friend to see that movie; we were almost sitting on each other's laps and often clutching hands and forearms!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Benji

Any fans of Alan Silvestri's score for the film Contact?

I forgot how much I like it until recently as I stumbled across a piano rendition for the theme, which i'm having a crack at learning.

It really is a fantastic score - where you might expect a grand sci-fi brashness there is instead a gorgeously, gentle and generously expansive Americana, more in line with the hopeful vision of the Carl Sagan story. Copland would have been proud.

The film is one of my favourites too - an alien contact film that makes you think and that is optimistic in tone. Something similar but with a rather different approach was Denis Villeneuve's film Arrival. The music there , by Johann Johannsson, is downright terrifying in places - the track First Encounter really gets under my skin - it is truly exotic and fantastic in the literal sense.

relm1

Quote from: vandermolen on February 22, 2021, 06:18:47 AM

I've never heard that recording so must search it out.  By the way, the conductor of that album was one of my teachers!  A fabulous man, teacher, and conductor!  I remember seeing him lost in thought after my brass orchestra work and just having a peaceful expression of joy. 

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: relm1 on February 22, 2021, 03:56:40 PM
I've never heard that recording so must search it out.  By the way, the conductor of that album was one of my teachers!  A fabulous man, teacher, and conductor!  I remember seeing him lost in thought after my brass orchestra work and just having a peaceful expression of joy.
I didn't remember the music to the film (which I loved--t.v. series too), but found the suite here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHyXnEytO9g

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: relm1 on February 22, 2021, 03:56:40 PM
What a nice story! The 'Jaws' RSNO CD was v cheap and watching the film again recently and enjoying the music gave me the incentive to snap it up (no 'Jaws' pun intended!)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Roy Bland

Carlo Franci was conductor,composer and pioneer in electronic music.This was is lighter side:
https://youtu.be/bsH9XZ6okYU

relm1

Quote from: Benji on February 22, 2021, 03:53:56 PM
Any fans of Alan Silvestri's score for the film Contact?

I forgot how much I like it until recently as I stumbled across a piano rendition for the theme, which i'm having a crack at learning.

It really is a fantastic score - where you might expect a grand sci-fi brashness there is instead a gorgeously, gentle and generously expansive Americana, more in line with the hopeful vision of the Carl Sagan story. Copland would have been proud.

The film is one of my favourites too - an alien contact film that makes you think and that is optimistic in tone. Something similar but with a rather different approach was Denis Villeneuve's film Arrival. The music there , by Johann Johannsson, is downright terrifying in places - the track First Encounter really gets under my skin - it is truly exotic and fantastic in the literal sense.

I'm a fan of Silvestri though can't recall the score to Contact.  I was too sad that Sagan had just died and felt the film didn't match up to the quality or imagination of the book that I read in my Astronomy class.  It was considered one of the most sophisticated first contact stories back then because of its geopolitics - how there was such a range of society in how they responded with the suspicious military, the religious overtones, the fanatics, the scientifically curious, the rich benefactor who wants the personal benefits rather than societal benefit, etc., plus it had a team going on the expedition rather than just Jodie Foster which I thought was a dumb subplot in the film.  Most interesting was the conclusion that there was an ancient advanced race (or deity) that had left clues to the architecture of the universe in mathematics.  The film ignored this major revelation.  Anyway, back to Silvestri, love him very much and attended one of his scoring sessions with a humongous orchestra that would have made Mahler envious.  Silvestri was very laid back and friendly.  He shared personal stories of his start in the business with a smile and warmth.  I loved his music even more after that day.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: relm1 on February 24, 2021, 06:15:00 AM
I'm a fan of Silvestri though can't recall the score to Contact.  I was too sad that Sagan had just died and felt the film didn't match up to the quality or imagination of the book that I read in my Astronomy class.  It was considered one of the most sophisticated first contact stories back then because of its geopolitics - how there was such a range of society in how they responded with the suspicious military, the religious overtones, the fanatics, the scientifically curious, the rich benefactor who wants the personal benefits rather than societal benefit, etc., plus it had a team going on the expedition rather than just Jodie Foster which I thought was a dumb subplot in the film.  Most interesting was the conclusion that there was an ancient advanced race (or deity) that had left clues to the architecture of the universe in mathematics.  The film ignored this major revelation.  Anyway, back to Silvestri, love him very much and attended one of his scoring sessions with a humongous orchestra that would have made Mahler envious.  Silvestri was very laid back and friendly.  He shared personal stories of his start in the business with a smile and warmth.  I loved his music even more after that day.

Silvestri is in the best tradition of versatile cinema composers - he really can write in just about any style from comic to epic.  One of my favourite scores by him is "Who Framed Roger Rabbit".  His faux "Looney Toons" writing makes me smile every time (and who doesn't love Jessica Rabbit as welll.........!!)

vers la flamme

Roy Bland

aligreto

The sound track to Dr. Zhivago

vandermolen

Quote from: aligreto on April 06, 2021, 06:42:54 AM
The sound track to Dr. Zhivago

Very nice Fergus - great soundtrack.

aligreto

Quote from: vandermolen on April 06, 2021, 06:52:22 AM
Very nice Fergus - great soundtrack.

Cheers, Jeffrey. It is interesting stand alone music when taken out of the context of the film. Very enjoyable indeed.

vandermolen

Quote from: aligreto on April 06, 2021, 06:54:27 AM
Cheers, Jeffrey. It is interesting stand alone music when taken out of the context of the film. Very enjoyable indeed.

I've been trying to get a decent copy of Richard Rodney Bennett's moving soundtrack to 'Nicholas and Alexandra' - unbelievably never AFAIK released on CD. I did manage to get a reasonably priced LP second-hand but it was so warped that I got a refund.

aligreto

Quote from: vandermolen on April 06, 2021, 07:22:31 AM
I've been trying to get a decent copy of Richard Rodney Bennett's moving soundtrack to 'Nicholas and Alexandra' - unbelievably never AFAIK released on CD. I did manage to get a reasonably priced LP second-hand but it was so warped that I got a refund.

Indeed Jeffrey, that one seems to be a bit of a rare one. I had a quick look on Discogs but a lot of offers for sale are in the US. There are some available on continental Europe but postage is still something of an issue. There is one for sale on UK eBay for a relatively small price but the cover is split. This could easily be fixed if you were interested. It is a "Make an Offer" listing and you could ask the seller to send you more photos privately. Then make an offer based on what you see.
Here is the link just in case you might be interested.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/NICHOLAS-AND-ALEXANDRA-SOUNDTRACK-VINYL-LP-RICHARD-RODNEY-BENNETT-RARE/264452702166?hash=item3d929bffd6:g:DdQAAOSw3QVdbt~S

vandermolen

Quote from: aligreto on April 06, 2021, 08:20:45 AM
Indeed Jeffrey, that one seems to be a bit of a rare one. I had a quick look on Discogs but a lot of offers for sale are in the US. There are some available on continental Europe but postage is still something of an issue. There is one for sale on UK eBay for a relatively small price but the cover is split. This could easily be fixed if you were interested. It is a "Make an Offer" listing and you could ask the seller to send you more photos privately. Then make an offer based on what you see.
Here is the link just in case you might be interested.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/NICHOLAS-AND-ALEXANDRA-SOUNDTRACK-VINYL-LP-RICHARD-RODNEY-BENNETT-RARE/264452702166?hash=item3d929bffd6:g:DdQAAOSw3QVdbt~S
Thanks so much Fergus - that's very thoughtful of you. I have just bought it. £10.00 for such a rare issue, with no postal charges, struck me as a fair deal. Thank you again. I was amused when my country came up as 'Ireland' but I'm sure that the payment has come out of my Paypal account!

aligreto

Quote from: vandermolen on April 06, 2021, 09:11:38 AM
Thanks so much Fergus - that's very thoughtful of you. I have just bought it. £10.00 for such a rare issue, with no postal charges, struck me as a fair deal. Thank you again.

Cheers Jeffrey. It is very easy to spend other peoples' money so let us withhold any gratitude until you receive the product and can appraise its quality.

QuoteI was amused when my country came up as 'Ireland' but I'm sure that the payment has come out of my Paypal account!

The geography of these islands has changed since Brexit. This is due to the fact of the many, many hoards of English people suddenly realized that they had Irish connections and are thus eligible for an Irish passport.  ;D

pjme

An atmospheric fragment from "Logan's run". I don't know if Goldsmith is the orchestrator, but I like the use of individual instruments (flutes, bassoon, trumpet) , the low brass and subtle percussion. Primeval Copland -wide -open -spaces with a hint of Stravinskian spring...?

Lovers of early synthesizer/electronics use are spoiled aswell : https://youtu.be/OxBUTjF0gyY

https://www.youtube.com/v/3n4Rdnzf1yM
The monument