Film (movie) Music

Started by vandermolen, August 12, 2008, 12:33:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: aligreto on April 09, 2021, 02:02:34 PM
They are on to you already, Jeffrey. Better set up Lol as you depository  ;)
Great idea Fergus!  ;D
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Roasted Swan

Quote from: vandermolen on April 09, 2021, 11:30:10 AM
Very astutely put Fergus! I've already ordered '2001: A Space Odyssey', 'Excalibur' and 'Murder My Sweet' (1945 version) on Blu-Ray (HMV 'Special Offers'). My daughter sarcastically texted me, asking if I was going to replace my entire DVD collection (which is much smaller than my CD collection) but the answer is definitely NO!

I'm a sucker for a blu-ray bargain as well!  Charity shops are good for picking them up on a bit more expensive than DVD.  With most folk streaming films now, discs are off-loaded to the charity shops - for me the blu-ray "hard copy" is worth it for a select few favourite films.  The better sound/picture and added features do add to the experience..... that's my defence and I'm sticking to it.  Sadly the blu-ray of "Battle of Britain" does not include the option to switch between the Walton or Goodwin scores which is a big miss for me!

DavidW

Jeffrey, 2001 should blow you away.  Reference PQ for sure.  Excaliber was shot in a very soft way so don't expect detail to jump out at you.  But the dvd wasn't a great transfer, so it will still be a step up.

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on April 10, 2021, 06:51:11 AM
I'm a sucker for a blu-ray bargain as well!  Charity shops are good for picking them up on a bit more expensive than DVD.  With most folk streaming films now, discs are off-loaded to the charity shops - for me the blu-ray "hard copy" is worth it for a select few favourite films.  The better sound/picture and added features do add to the experience..... that's my defence and I'm sticking to it.  Sadly the blu-ray of "Battle of Britain" does not include the option to switch between the Walton or Goodwin scores which is a big miss for me!
Interesting RS. I won't therefore be rushing out tomorrow to buy 'Battle of Britain' on blu-ray as I'm happy with the DVD which allows you to programme the Walton score - which was a nice feature. HMV are doing their own series of 'Special Editions' featuring postcards/posters from the film etc. The offer was 2 for £25. I already has 'Jason and the Argonauts' (1960s version not useless remake) and I bought 'Excalibur' and 'Murder My Sweet' (1945) as part of the promotion. I'll keep my eyes open when the charity shops re-open. I'm always at least one step behind the latest technology. I amused me wife recently, having finally set up 'online banking' by telling her 'you'll be pleased to hear that I've finally entered the 20th Century'.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: DavidW on April 10, 2021, 06:56:17 AM
Jeffrey, 2001 should blow you away.  Reference PQ for sure.  Excaliber was shot in a very soft way so don't expect detail to jump out at you.  But the dvd wasn't a great transfer, so it will still be a step up.
Thank you David. That is interesting to know. There is a super-special Blu-Ray version of 2001 but it was very expensive, but then I spotted that HMV had a 'no frills' version of 2001 on blu ray for £7.99, so I snapped that one up - hopefully they will arrive this week. I love 'Excalibur' especially for Nicol Williamson's 'Merlin' but also for Nigel Terry's rather (IMO) underrated performance as Arthur. Also, the visuals (shot in Ireland) and music (Wagner etc) work well together. I'll report back in due course. I sent a fan email to the actor who played Sir Percival in the film, telling him how much I had enjoyed his performance (he now works in property in the USA). I had a very nice reply from him which mentioned that the few months filming in Ireland were the happiest of his film-making career. There was a very interesting TV documentary about the making of 'Excalibur' which I tracked down a couple of years ago.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: vandermolen on April 10, 2021, 11:17:47 PM
Thank you David. That is interesting to know. There is a super-special Blu-Ray version of 2001 but it was very expensive, but then I spotted that HMV had a 'no frills' version of 2001 on blu ray for £7.99, so I snapped that one up - hopefully they will arrive this week. I love 'Excalibur' especially for Nicol Williamson's 'Merlin' but also for Nigel Terry's rather (IMO) underrated performance as Arthur. Also, the visuals (shot in Ireland) and music (Wagner etc) work well together. I'll report back in due course. I sent a fan email to the actor who played Sir Percival in the film, telling him how much I had enjoyed his performance (he now works in property in the USA). I had a very nice reply from him which mentioned that the few months filming in Ireland were the happiest of his film-making career. There was a very interesting TV documentary about the making of 'Excalibur' which I tracked down a couple of years ago.

I'm part of the Excalibur fan club too.  Seeing "Make it So" Patrick Stewart and "I will find you and kill you" Liam Neeson let alone Helen Mirren at her most seductive is always fun.  The ONE role I wasn't convinced by is Nigel Terry's Mummerset Arthur.... but there you go.  At the time I did not know Siegfried's Funeral Music at all but its use in the film indelibly links that piece to that film now.

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on April 11, 2021, 12:20:58 AM
I'm part of the Excalibur fan club too.  Seeing "Make it So" Patrick Stewart and "I will find you and kill you" Liam Neeson let alone Helen Mirren at her most seductive is always fun.  The ONE role I wasn't convinced by is Nigel Terry's Mummerset Arthur.... but there you go.  At the time I did not know Siegfried's Funeral Music at all but its use in the film indelibly links that piece to that film now.
+1 for the Siegfried Funeral Music, like 'The Blue Danube' and 2001 for me. On the 'Making of Excalibur' documentary I remember a funny self-deprecating anecdote from Gabriel Byrne (Uther) who said that the armour which he wore was quite tight round his neck so that during one crucial scene, where he is patching up a truce (it doesn't last long) with the Duke of Cornwall (Corin Redgrave) his voice went all high-pitched and squeaky. Nicol Williamson was scathing, turning to him an exclaiming 'WHAT ARE YOU SAYING MAN?'

DavidW

I love that movie too.  Mostly for the Wagner!  Also I like the combination of the Arthurian legend with the Fisher King.  And the dreamlike quality of the movie, especially the latter half.  It was a very bold, imaginative movie that probably not fully appreciated upon release.

vandermolen

Quote from: DavidW on April 11, 2021, 07:18:40 AM
I love that movie too.  Mostly for the Wagner!  Also I like the combination of the Arthurian legend with the Fisher King.  And the dreamlike quality of the movie, especially the latter half.  It was a very bold, imaginative movie that probably not fully appreciated upon release.
Yes, the film does have an extraordinary dream-like quality to it. I remember seeing it at the cinema with some friends when it first came out.

Cato

Quote from: Roasted Swan on April 11, 2021, 12:20:58 AM

They
were in Excalibur ?!  :o   AND Gabriel Byrne?!

Okay, NOW I will need to watch it again!  Forty years must have passed since I last saw it!

And yes, the classical selections for the soundtrack were handled well!
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Pohjolas Daughter

I haven't seen that movie in many, many years but did enjoy it.  I'll have to see whether or not I might be able to borrow a copy from the library.  Re Paul Geoffrey, I see that he's had some fascinating career changes and opportunities--including becoming the director of a contemporary art gallery and is currently working as a realtor in Santa Fe, New Mexico.  https://paulgeoffrey.santafeproperties.com

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Cato on April 11, 2021, 11:28:46 AM

They
were in Excalibur ?!  :o   AND Gabriel Byrne?!

Okay, NOW I will need to watch it again!  Forty years must have passed since I last saw it!

And yes, the classical selections for the soundtrack were handled well!

Also Ciarán Hinds.

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 11, 2021, 12:59:10 PM
I haven't seen that movie in many, many years but did enjoy it.  I'll have to see whether or not I might be able to borrow a copy from the library.  Re Paul Geoffrey, I see that he's had some fascinating career changes and opportunities--including becoming the director of a contemporary art gallery and is currently working as a realtor in Santa Fe, New Mexico.  https://paulgeoffrey.santafeproperties.com

PD
Interestingly PD in his interview in the 'Making of Excalibur' documentary he mentions still receiving appreciative messages about his performance and the film - I wondered if he had my one in mind as it was made about the time that I sent me email to him.

vandermolen

Revisiting this terrific disc:

aligreto

Oliver

Ex libris my better half.

vandermolen

Quote from: DavidW on April 10, 2021, 06:56:17 AM
I'm currently greatly enjoying 2001 on blu-ray David, which I'm watching in bite-size chunks; am currently at the start of the Jupiter voyage sequence - haven't met HAL yet! I see that there are various blu-ray editions of the film but my no frills HMV cheapo version is definitely a step up from VHS/DVD recordings that I've had in the past.

aligreto

Brideshead Revisited

This is not a film soundtrack but rather a soundtrack to a very large scale TV series back in the day. The music is very sympathetic to what one is watching and definitely enhances the mood and atmosphere of what was a terrific interpretation of the novel.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: aligreto on April 14, 2021, 03:12:24 AM
Brideshead Revisited

This is not a film soundtrack but rather a soundtrack to a very large scale TV series back in the day. The music is very sympathetic to what one is watching and definitely enhances the mood and atmosphere of what was a terrific interpretation of the novel.

The main Brideshead theme continues to be one of the pieces we play most regularly for brides to enter at wedding ceremonies.  It is a perfect encapsulation of the mood of the novel/series.  Geoffrey Burgon is a fine composer full stop.  He wrote several very fine scores for TV including that haunting Nunc Dimittis for the classic Alec Guiness/Tinker Tailor as well the BBC's Narnia adaptations.  Testament of Youth was another moving score.  Excerpts from all these scores to be found on this disc;

aligreto

Quote from: Roasted Swan on April 14, 2021, 04:07:53 AM
The main Brideshead theme continues to be one of the pieces we play most regularly for brides to enter at wedding ceremonies.  It is a perfect encapsulation of the mood of the novel/series.  Geoffrey Burgon is a fine composer full stop.  He wrote several very fine scores for TV including that haunting Nunc Dimittis for the classic Alec Guiness/Tinker Tailor as well the BBC's Narnia adaptations.  Testament of Youth was another moving score.  Excerpts from all these scores to be found on this disc;

Thank you for the comments and the recommendation.

vandermolen

From WAYLTN thread:
Walton Henry V
I much prefer this cover to the later CD release.
Also this was the first recording of Malcolm Sargent's arrangement of the film music, which I prefer to the later and more familiar Muir Mathieson version as it includes the opening 'Globe' sequence at the start, where, in the film, the camera pans in on Elizabethan London which, in its wartime context, I find very moving: