Film (movie) Music

Started by vandermolen, August 12, 2008, 12:33:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Just purchased it for c.£5.00 on Amazon UK.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

André

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

I like this disc of music by Hugo Friedhofer.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Nice disc of some film music by Rawsthorne. Very likable.

vandermolen

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on May 30, 2021, 05:21:50 PM
Nice disc of some film music by Rawsthorne. Very likable.
+1, especially 'The Cruel Sea', although I marginally prefer the, slightly more expansive, Silva Screen recording with the Royal Ballet Sinfonia conducted by Kenneth Alwyn:

André

Auric and the Brits. Very nice program, great playing (the trombones!), excellent documentation.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: vandermolen on May 30, 2021, 10:51:51 PM
+1, especially 'The Cruel Sea', although I marginally prefer the, slightly more expansive, Silva Screen recording with the Royal Ballet Sinfonia conducted by Kenneth Alwyn:

Looks very interesting. I must get the disc!

Roy Bland

vandermolen

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on May 31, 2021, 01:57:31 PM
Looks very interesting. I must get the disc!
Yes, it's a most enjoyable disc!

vandermolen

Quote from: André on May 31, 2021, 08:39:53 AM
Auric and the Brits. Very nice program, great playing (the trombones!), excellent documentation.

He's a most interesting composer. His 'La Belle et La Bete' is one of my favourite movie scores - a haunting, poetic classic (also on Naxos with a less appealing cover). For years I looked out for the marvellously doom-laden music from 'Dead of Night', one of my favourite films, and then it appeared on that marvellous Chandos CD!

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: vandermolen on June 01, 2021, 12:19:33 AM
He's a most interesting composer. His 'La Belle et La Bete' is one of my favourite movie scores - a haunting, poetic classic (also on Naxos with a less appealing cover).

Picturesque and unique music !

aligreto

Alwyn: Film Music [Hickox]

This is actually my first introduction to this composer. I am impressed thus far with his orchestration skills.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: aligreto on June 20, 2021, 06:11:31 AM
Alwyn: Film Music [Hickox]

This is actually my first introduction to this composer. I am impressed thus far with his orchestration skills.

Alwyn used the money he earned writing film scores (in part) to pay for the recordings on Lyrita he conducted of his more "serious" works - the symphonies/orchestral music etc.  Do listen to them if you enjoy these - very gpood - film scores

aligreto

Quote from: Roasted Swan on June 21, 2021, 08:18:42 AM
Alwyn used the money he earned writing film scores (in part) to pay for the recordings on Lyrita he conducted of his more "serious" works - the symphonies/orchestral music etc.  Do listen to them if you enjoy these - very gpood - film scores

Thank you for the information and, yes, I plan to listen to more of his music fairly soon.

Roy Bland

An Italian/Russian project for a new soundtrack of "Battleship Potemkin"

T. D.

Quote from: Roy Bland on June 22, 2021, 04:56:22 PM
An Italian/Russian project for a new soundtrack of "Battleship Potemkin"

If I'm reading the credits correctly, composer Rossella Spinosa is also a pianist who has recorded works by Cage and Feldman (!). Can't find much on conductor (? - can't make out his exact credits) Fabio Pirola, but he seems to have done a lot of work in Russia.

Big question: will this new soundtrack surpass the one by the Pet Shop Boys?  :D

vandermolen

Quote from: T. D. on June 22, 2021, 05:39:37 PM
If I'm reading the credits correctly, composer Rossella Spinosa is also a pianist who has recorded works by Cage and Feldman (!). Can't find much on conductor (? - can't make out his exact credits) Fabio Pirola, but he seems to have done a lot of work in Russia.

Big question: will this new soundtrack surpass the one by the Pet Shop Boys?  :D

Speaking personally, I rather like the Pet Shop Boys  :)

Having bought and enjoyed the soundtrack years ago I recently bought a DVD of the movie (Oliver Twist - Polanski), which we have enjoyed watching (despite my wife munching popcorn throughout) over the last few days:

vandermolen

I've realised that the doomed processional at the end of Benjamin Frankel's extraordinary score for 'Curse of the Werewolf' (now playing here) reminds me of the similarly doomed processional in William Alwyn's terrific score for 'Odd Man Out' - these are two of my absolute favourite film scores:

vandermolen

Now playing - what a score!