Film (movie) Music

Started by vandermolen, August 12, 2008, 12:33:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roy Bland

Roy Bland

Roy Bland

"Battle of green talisman" was a 1968 hungarian movie this is original soundtrack by Ferenc Farkas here it was replaced by Umiliani's score

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICSBKbDYLXw

IMHO Umiliani is better

VonStupp

Ralph Vaughan Williams
Scott of the Antarctic

Ilona Domnich, soprano
Christopher Nickol, organ
Royal Scottish NO & Chorus - Martin Yates

For this afternoon:

I am substituting Dutton's 80-minute Scott of the Antarctic from Chandos' 40-minute one, but continuing on with Volume 1 from Chandos.

Ralph Vaughan Williams
Coastal Command
The People's Land

BBC Philharmonic - Rumon Gamba

VS

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

VonStupp

Ralph Vaughan Williams
49th Parallel
The Dim Little Island
The England of Elizabeth

Emily Gray, soprano
Martin Hindmarsch, tenor
Chetham's Chamber Choir

Continuing with Volume 2.

I am surprised at how many quotations RVW takes, not just from folk music. A lovely touch of Thomas Tallis' If Ye Love Me, Keep My Commandments in Elizabeth too.

VS.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: VonStupp on June 29, 2022, 10:38:51 AM
Ralph Vaughan Williams
49th Parallel
The Dim Little Island
The England of Elizabeth

Emily Gray, soprano
Martin Hindmarsch, tenor
Chetham's Chamber Choir

Continuing with Volume 2.

I am surprised at how many quotations RVW takes, not just from folk music. A lovely touch of Thomas Tallis' If Ye Love Me, Keep My Commandments in Elizabeth too.

VS.

This 3 disc series from Chandos was one of the best in their Film Music releases I thought.  For those interested it is in Chandos' own online sale where the 3 disc set can be bought for just £5.00(!) + p&p

https://www.chandos.net/products/catalogue/CHAN%2010529#CD

What I find most interesting about these works is how RVW stays almost always identifiably "himself" whilst also writing very effective drammatic scores

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on June 29, 2022, 11:49:59 PM
This 3 disc series from Chandos was one of the best in their Film Music releases I thought.  For those interested it is in Chandos' own online sale where the 3 disc set can be bought for just £5.00(!) + p&p

What I find most interesting about these works is how RVW stays almost always identifiably "himself" whilst also writing very effective drammatic scores
I agree, although the single CD of VW's film music released on Marco Polo/Naxos is my favourite for the combination of works.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Roasted Swan

Quote from: vandermolen on June 29, 2022, 11:54:01 PM
I agree, although the single CD of VW's film music released on Marco Polo/Naxos is my favourite for the combination of works.

And that's a well-played disc too!  I like the version of Coastal Command that is on this disc as well....

actually a very good disc all round.......

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on June 30, 2022, 12:04:03 AM
And that's a well-played disc too!  I like the version of Coastal Command that is on this disc as well....

actually a very good disc all round.......
Oh yes, I like that disc too - a nice combination of works including 'The Red Shoes' (Easdale not Kate Bush version  ;D)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

VonStupp

Quote from: Roasted Swan on June 29, 2022, 11:49:59 PM

I had passed on the original separate releases, but finally got the set in Chandos' sale/deleted CD's section recently. Even across the Atlantic, it is a steal!

Ralph Vaughan Williams
The Flemish Farmer
The Loves of Joanna Godden
Bitter Springs

Manchester Chamber Chorus

I am not as dazzled by this third volume, but that is perhaps due to back-to-back listenings.

Still this is colorful orchestral music with RVW complexity and energy.

VS

Roasted Swan

Quote from: VonStupp on June 30, 2022, 10:47:26 AM
I had passed on the original separate releases, but finally got the set in Chandos' sale/deleted CD's section recently. Even across the Atlantic, it is a steal!

Ralph Vaughan Williams
The Flemish Farmer
The Loves of Joanna Godden
Bitter Springs

Manchester Chamber Chorus

I am not as dazzled by this third volume, but that is perhaps due to back-to-back listenings.

Still this is colorful orchestral music with RVW complexity and energy.

VS

You're quite right - Vol.3 is the "weakest" but still fascinating to hear and enjoy!

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on June 30, 2022, 11:38:11 AM
You're quite right - Vol.3 is the "weakest" but still fascinating to hear and enjoy!
I really like the Flemish Farm and Joanna Godden music.

Biffo

Quote from: vandermolen on July 01, 2022, 12:09:41 PM
I really like the Flemish Farm and Joanna Godden music.

Definitely the weakest volume. I wouldn't have known Joanna Godden was RVW in a blind listen and certainly not from watching the film - possibly he wasn't very inspired by a mediocre subject.

Edit:
Just listened to the Joanna Godden music again (Gamba/BBC PO). Stephen Hogger's arrangement makes it more interesting than the movie does. With the benefit of hindsight there are a few moments that sound like premonitions of the Scott music.

relm1

James Horner's Willow, is fantastic if you enjoy lush orchestral fantasy.  The expanded release was just released in limited edition (it was just released on Monday, June 28, and is already temporarily out of stock) and includes all the music composed for the film performed to perfection by the London Symphony Orchestra.

Roasted Swan

For the last few days I've needed to purge myself of listening to serious and heavy music.  So I've been enjoying dipping into some film music collections.  Here are a couple of really good ones;

Such fun - I so remember seeing "Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines" in the cinema in the late 60's(?).  Classic Ron Goodwin.  The LSO play very well throughout and an interesting/well chosen programme of familiar and rare music cues.

Then from a Silva Screen Collection

I particularly enjoyed Patrick Doyle's cue "St Crispin's Day" from his score for Henry V.  Previously I think I'd been too harsh on this just thinking its not the Walton score therefore its not as good.  But this cue is a really powerful underscore to the great "We few, we happy few, we band of brothers" speech - Doyle tracks this speech really well.  Performances here are the usual Silva Screen option of Paul Bateman using a Prague based orchestra who play very well if not absolutely top top drawer.

vandermolen

Caught the last part of the film on TV this evening and currently enjoying this:

relm1

Quote from: vandermolen on August 05, 2022, 02:58:15 PM
Caught the last part of the film on TV this evening and currently enjoying this:

Note that the big set piece is Elgar's Nimrod.  Much of the rest is the shepard tone.  From the industry, this was a very problematic score for many reasons.  First, he was nominated for best original composer where the music was either not original (Elgar) or a tone scale and more fitting of sound design.  Effective?  Probably.  Good music?  Questionably.  It also exemplifies Zimmer's process as more of a producer than a composer.  Having a staff of writers who he directs to fulfills the director's intentions, it becomes quite complicated when the director isn't quite sure of their intent or changes direction frequently resulting in bitter dispute during the process.  The end result, this was and will be the last time Zimmer and Nolan work together it became so toxic.  Nolans next film, Tenant, was scored by younger composer Ludwig Göransson with music that was clearly temped with Zimmer.   Back to my original comment, there was uncertainty if Dunkirk would qualify as "original" but at least half the members of the music academy did feel it qualifies because of its impact to the theatrical drama of the film. 

vandermolen

Quote from: relm1 on August 05, 2022, 04:18:38 PM
Note that the big set piece is Elgar's Nimrod.  Much of the rest is the shepard tone.  From the industry, this was a very problematic score for many reasons.  First, he was nominated for best original composer where the music was either not original (Elgar) or a tone scale and more fitting of sound design.  Effective?  Probably.  Good music?  Questionably.  It also exemplifies Zimmer's process as more of a producer than a composer.  Having a staff of writers who he directs to fulfills the director's intentions, it becomes quite complicated when the director isn't quite sure of their intent or changes direction frequently resulting in bitter dispute during the process.  The end result, this was and will be the last time Zimmer and Nolan work together it became so toxic.  Nolans next film, Tenant, was scored by younger composer Ludwig Göransson with music that was clearly temped with Zimmer.   Back to my original comment, there was uncertainty if Dunkirk would qualify as "original" but at least half the members of the music academy did feel it qualifies because of its impact to the theatrical drama of the film.
Interesting - thanks. I recall you as not having a very high opinion of Zimmer.

relm1

Quote from: vandermolen on August 06, 2022, 09:45:30 PM
Interesting - thanks. I recall you as not having a very high opinion of Zimmer.

I used to be quite unfair to him but after watching his masterclass series, I appreciate him much more as a very talented businessman and music producer.  That is definitely a skill and talent, it's just not the same thing as a composer but he surely deserves recognition for his significant contribution to the medium of film music. 

vandermolen

A fine score (thank you André)
The Folk Ballad 'Scarborough Fair' is quoted throughout.